When it all began...

Lifes a Peach

...or a mango. But definitely a fruit.
2016 Sabbatical
Charity Auction Team
On this day, back in 2011, my daily shaving routine changed for ever. For it was on this day that I ditched the tin can of Nivea shave gel and a Schick cartridge razor for a DE razor & blade, and some shave cream.

It was roughly 6 months before that day that I came across a thread on Whirlpool called Classic Shaving Instruments. @Mark1966 (aka BoringAccountant) and @Drubbing were (and still are) preaching the virtues of Wet Shaving. Initially I fobbed it off as a fad but desperation eventually got the better of me. Following a Recommended Kit from Mark I placed an order at Mensbiz. Here is that SOTD from 4 years ago that I performed today.

xCVXkX3.jpg

Razor: Merkur HD Razor
Blade: Astra (Mark's suggested a Sampler Pack, which included this blade)
Cream: Proraso Shaving Cream
Brush: Vulfix Pure Badger Brush
Aftershave: Proraso (no A/S in Mark's recommended kit but this seemed to be the natural choice)
Since that day in 2011 some things have changed and others have stayed the same. With today being exception I no longer use that Vulfix brush. Whilst I worshipped the ease that brush could churn out a lather I later discovered brushes with backbone and density. A great "training-wheels brush" never-the-less. Astra blades were the bees knees to me but then I came across others that did the job without tugging on my whiskers. The Merkur HD has been taken over by Peach Junior. Still a superb razor amongst the throngs in my bathroom. My lathers are so much better in every regard and a lot less blood spilt in the quest of getting a baby butt smooth shave. I have learnt so much, and continue to do so. I've made heaps of new friends and discovered many great lunchtime spots in the city.

My shaving cabinet has been upgraded, twice, to accomodate the spontaneous and reckless purchases in search of the Holy Grail. TOBS, MWF, Cella, and Tabac were all the rage. Now it's artisans working from their spare rooms.

So what hasn't changed? The smile on my face when I feel my skin after splashing on the aftershave.

Does anyone else still have their first kit? I'd love to hear your story.

Sensational story mate. It's my two year anniversary of 'doing things right'. I've learned a lot in that time and have met some great blokes too.

My opening kit was a Mühle R89 loaded with some initial blade, a Mühle Silvertip and Proraso Green cream, finished off with some Nivea.

The only component still in rotation is the Nivea, although I rate Proraso cream very highly and will get some again one of these days.

So it was around this time last year that I was sick of the exorbitant prices of cartridge razors and the horrible canned goop and decided that there had to be a better way. So after a bit of research on the internet I thought that DE shaving like my father was for me. I purchased a kit from Menz biz that was made up of a Merkur barber pole razor, a Shavemac 177 brush, a tub of Trumpers Limes shaving cream and a sampler kit of blades. I purchased an alum block as well. So my first real shave took place at the end of January 12 months ago. The first shave was a disaster with plenty of nicks and cuts as well as irritation. However, after a few weeks the shaves slowly improved. Joining the Paste and Cut group was also an enormous help with advise given. So almost 12 months down the track have I saved money. No, but I am much happier.
20160112_104436 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Does anyone else still have their first kit? I'd love to hear your story.
I was just thinking this same question as I was reading through your post.

My first shave would have been:
Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley Chrome
Coles shitty brush
Palmolive stick (local)
Derby Blade
and Nivea balm.

I now have none of the above. I think I even managed to move on a 5 pack of Derby's that @stillshunter sent to annoy me.
Of the lot, I would use the DE89 as it was a very mild razor, but the rest can stay in the bin where they belong.

My first kit was:
Edwin Jagger 89L razor
Simpsons Special 1 Best
Sample Blade Kit of which I used a Derby (hated them)
MWF (I like a challenge)
Baxter of California Balm

My first few shaves were terrible. I had no idea what true lather looked like. It wasn't nearly slippery enough and was pretty much just a paste. Coupled with the crappy Derby and mild EJ I was scraping my face.
Nicks, weepers and burn. My face actually ached. I was close to giving up.
A bit of forum time, Feather blades, many many practise lathers and a better understanding of prep and I'm getting there.

I still have all of my original kit. I'm thinking about moving my EJ89 on, but it holds a special place for me. Occasionally use it. The brush I still use in my rotation. It's great.

My first traditional shave would've been,
Edwin Jagger 89
Derby Blade
Generic German made Pure Badger brush
C&E Sandalwood soap
Brut A/S

That was in August 2011 and I'm still using the same EJ head although the handle has changed. The brush died about three years ago, it was a gift for Xmas 2000ish. The soap lasted about 3 years before I finally managed to use it all and Brut still has a place in my bathroom.

Oh boy, I believe it was 2013 and it would have been...

Soap: Edwin Jagger Sandalwood
Brush: Edwin Jagger Super
Razor: Edwin Jagger EJ89
Blade: Derby
Aftershave: Proraso Green

Tell I shopped for my first kit at The Shaver Shop much?

This first shave was absolutely horrible. Had no forum help, just went for it! I'm actually not quite sure how I persevered TBH!

What a fantastic post @Lifes a Peach - I wish I had my shave diary back then already...

I believe my first DE shave was sometime in 2012/13
Cream: Bodyshop (PIF'd to a friend)
Brush: el crappo boar from priceline (was very fortunate that the knot fell out after less than 10 uses)
Razor: Merkur Progress (sold, if it came in a more durable material, I would buy it back in a heartbeat)
Blade: of course the original that came with the razor (should try one again to see how it goes)

2 passes WTG (or what I thought was WTG) - and I was so surprised, that it was without blood spills - but then came shaves 2-...

My first 1976 my first shave at 15 years old with an old DE razor my dad gave me, persisted with that old razor for about 4 years and then joined all the hype of the cartridge razor.
Sometime in my mid 30s i went back to a DE razor and have stayed with them and will never leave the old faithful DE razor.

Oh boy, I believe it was 2013 and it would have been...

Soap: Edwin Jagger Sandalwood
Razor: Edwin Jagger EJ89
Blade: Derby
Aftershave: Proraso Green

Tell I shopped for my first kit at The Shaver Shop much?

This first shave was absolutely horrible. Had no forum help, just went for it! I'm actually not quite sure how I persevered TBH!
So similar to mine Stillsy!

Soap: Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Derby - shit blade!
Aftershave - Old Spice

Gillette Slim Adjustable
Proraso Green and Col Conk Amber
Wilkinson Boar, Semogue 1305 and Shedomatic
Astra Platinum/greens
Gillette A/S gel

Still have and use the Slim.
Proraso gets a showing upon occasion for nostalgia and Col Conk to break in brushes.
Shedomatic recently died, Wilky Boar get the occasional showing too, 1305 really should get glued back together and given a second lease at life.
Am out of Astra's sadly.
Unable to find the Gillette A/S gel, as it's one item I would use again from their range and what got me into mentholated products!

Great idea for a thread @Lifes a Peach !

For me the DE story started in 2010 after stumbling across the Whirlpool Classic Shaving Instruments thread (now up to Part 6!). With a little guidance from the guys on the thread (including @Drubbing) on my 44th birthday, after three decades of shaving with multi-blade cartridge systems, and a brief dabble with an electric razor I had an epiphany.

My wonderful wife have given me a Merkur 38c razor, Edwin Jagger super badger brush, some of the ubiquitous Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol shaving soap and a variety of blades in the Mensbiz sampler pack. Despite some initial trepidation pretty soon there was no turning back!

For the first time in almost 30 years I enjoyed shaving!

After a couple of weeks of enjoying the shaving experience and browsing some on-line forums I discovered that Gillette included codes showing the date of manufacturing on many of their razors . So I followed a well trodden path and purchased a razor from my birth-year, a 1966 Flare Tip Super Speed.

It was kinda cool shaving with a razor that was made the same time I was born. It has a timelessness about it, a certainty and tranquility knowing that the carefully crafted metal in your hand has been through a lot of years and stood the test of time - you shared something with the razor.

Of course one thing led to another. Gillette manufactured a couple of different models of razor in 1966, so I got a couple. Then I discovered that there were some really beautiful looking other models around and before you know it I was a 'collector'.

My original Merkur 38C doesn't get much use from me nowadays - it was passed on to my son who is using it as HIS first DE. While the EJ brush has since found another home there will ALWAYS be some Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol shaving soap in my drawer.

So similar to mine Stillsy!

Soap: Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Derby - shit blade!
Aftershave - Old Spice

you get fucked over by the Shaver Shop too mate?

you get fucked over by the Shaver Shop too mate?
No mate. I did some research and settled on the stuff I bought. Got it through Shaver Hut (If I recall correctly) used the discount code and was reasonably happy. Only thing I'm not sure about now is the brush. It's a nice brush and there is nothing really wrong with it but I got an EJ Silvertip badger on special and much prefer that and also now got right in to Synthetics. I have a few more brushes on the way and have committed to getting 2 more brushes in March/April so it will be interesting to see what happens with the super badger now.

For me it began when I read this article in 2012.
http://the-magazine.org/2/the-wet-shave#.VpYezuw8aJJ

It was like an awakening. Worth a read guys.

Wow, did it strike a chord! I was using an electric shaver - Philishave - at the time and really hating it. Had done the shave gel, carts routine, triple blade Mach 3, grown a beard etc etc. Really a struggle at times.

I placed an order (Shaver Hut or similar?) then waited excitedly. Discovered Men's Biz later and started buying up other items at a rapid rate. Started searching antique stores and picked up some nice things. Also paid way to much for a Gem and a Valet razor but also found a nice Gillette New Standard OC (silver plated).

This was my initial set up. Proraso heavy as well. Still use the stand. The 33c Merkur has the same head as the 34c and it goes well on my UFO handle. The Muhle bowl was broken by my son. Still using the pre shave. One of the few things I have finished several times even though I get the jumbo sized tub.

7a1232dfdcfb69b7c69123a891f9fce8.jpg

Still got my first kit.
Monsta helped me out on another forum to pick out a good starter kit, I ordered it from Shaving.IE at Christmas a few years back and got it early New Years.
Then this site was discussed and launched. Back then there were maybe five or six of us. Mostly from WA actually..
No pics as I am at work but my first kit was Muhle Progress Razor, Semogue 830 boar, Proraso green tube of cream, starter pack of blades. Oh and some silly Muhle black porcelain bowl back when I thought you had to bowl lather. These days I could lather on the cat if I needed to and still get a better shave than with a can of foam.

I had a very slow transition for carts and goop in a can to full DE Wet Shaving.

Way back in '95 I started using Palmolive Shave sticks and cheap boar brush from Safeway. Didn't fully see the light until early 2014 (March I think) when I picked up a Merkur 34C, a tub of Proraso Green Pre-shave and a tube of Proraso Green Shaving Cream along with the sample pack pf blades that Mens Biz supplied with the 34C.

About a month later I added a Frank Shaving Brush and a tub of Proraso Red Soap. All was going swimmingly with only a single purchase of 100 Persona Red blades until Jan 2015 when I joined and posted here for the first time.

I still have the dodgy boar brush for sentimental reasons, but thanks to the generous contributions of @Draco Noir and the other Melbourne crew and the general enabling of P&C, I now have what my wife considers "too many" products (those that she knows of) but the Proraso Pre-shave is constant.

Still got my first kit.
Monsta helped me out on another forum to pick out a good starter kit, I ordered it from Shaving.IE at Christmas a few years back and got it early New Years.
Then this site was discussed and launched. Back then there were maybe five or six of us. Mostly from WA actually..
No pics as I am at work but my first kit was Muhle Progress Razor, Semogue 830 boar, Proraso green tube of cream, starter pack of blades. Oh and some silly Muhle black porcelain bowl back when I thought you had to bowl lather. These days I could lather on the cat if I needed to and still get a better shave than with a can of foam.

Actually I lied. My first razor was the DE86, which I later sold or swapped, can't remember which. Maybe I swapped it for a Progress.

Whoa, it's been just over 3 years since I saw the light! I fell into DE shaving almost by accident. It all started when I got the shits with paying outrageous prices for Mach 3 blades. My original intention was to just find a cheaper source of carts which led my to the interwebz, which led me looking at rubbish Korean carts on Fleabay, which led me (somehow) to YKW and eventually to here..

I got my first (overpriced) kit from a Shaver Shop store and it consisted of:
1. A Comoy razor which is a rebranded Weishi which is a Tech clone - long gone - I chucked it in the first P&C traveling box, so someone has it :)
2. An Omega boar brush which I still have but never use having discovered the joys of Badger and good synthetic brushes.
3. Some Astra blades
4. Proraso Green

Now I have a choice of 5 Razors, 5 brushes, 6 or 7 soaps, 3 aftershaves and a few hundred blades. So much for the original idea of saving money!!!!!

Last edited: