Where to buy a knot

Just 17 days and then...
2018 Sabbatical Fail
I was wandering if any of you guys could recommend a good place to source a knot.

I happened to be talking to a guy and his hobby is turning, he makes pens but also razor handles and shaving brushes. I've seen some of his work and he has some really nice stuff made from great timber and also resins.I was hoping he might be able to custom make a brush for me but he has had trouble sourcing decent knots. I was thinking I would like a badger but I would be interested to hear any recommendations for synths or boar as well.

Any info or advice would be appreciated

It depends on how high end you want to go. TGN have a well regarded knot, as do Elite Razors. Shavemac sell amazing knots at a premium price. My personal choice for high quality, but value for money would be Envy Shave. Excellent backbone, soft tips and not crazy dense.

It depends on how high end you want to go. TGN have a well regarded knot, as do Elite Razors. Shavemac sell amazing knots at a premium price. My personal choice for high quality, but value for money would be Envy Shave. Excellent backbone, soft tips and not crazy dense.
Cheers mate. I will have a look at your suggestions. I'm not sure that I want to premium but will definitely have a look at the Shavemac anyway.

Cheers mate. I will have a look at your suggestions. I'm not sure that I want to premium but will definitely have a look at the Shavemac anyway.
I have a number of Shavemac and Envy White and think the Envy White is on a par with the 2 Band Shavemac. Envy White would definitely be my choice.

@Sticky these YAQI Brushes I'm very happy to keep in my den

Yaqi Tuxedo Synth. 28/57mm knot click here
Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot click here
Yaqi Red Marble Tuxedo Synth. 24/58mm knot click here
Yaqi Red Marble Tuxedo Synth. 26/60mm knot click here
Yaqi Mysterious Space Tuxedo Synth. 26/57mm knot click here

@Sticky these YAQI Brushes I'm very happy to keep in my den

Yaqi Tuxedo Synth. 28/57mm knot click here
Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot click here
Yaqi Red Marble Tuxedo Synth. 24/58mm knot click here
Yaqi Red Marble Tuxedo Synth. 26/60mm knot click here
Yaqi Mysterious Space Tuxedo Synth. 26/57mm knot click here
Some nice looking brushes. Have you been tempted to try one of the badgers? I wonder how good they are

I have to second the recommendation of an Envy White as a quality knot at a reasonable price here. After that it really is a case of how much you are willing to spend.

The TurnNshave "full moon" synthetic knot is just awesome! It's got very natural splay and good backbone (not floppy and not too stiff). It's really a Goldilocks knot IMO.

Their quarter moon fan knot is very dense but I don't like the difficulty it has in splaying, as it's not at all a natural splay.

The all white angel hair knot is soft and oh so luxurious!... but probably the least backbone of any synthetic bar the original plisson. Did i mention it's really luxurious?!!

The original tuxedo knot from APshave co is very highly regarded (i have one on the way but no direct experience).

Plissoft knots are also very nice but somewhat underrated and for some reason people don't seem to set them in nice custom handles. The Razorock Bruce brush is one of my all time favourite synthetic brushes... It has just a standard plissoft knot.

Can't help on the badger knots as I ceased using badger brushes many years ago.

I can tell you everything about boar knots but you can't readily source just the knots so that info would be redundant.

The TurnNshave "full moon" synthetic knot is just awesome! It's got very natural splay and good backbone (not floppy and not too stiff). It's really a Goldilocks knot IMO.

Their quarter moon fan knot is very dense but I don't like the difficulty it has in splaying, as it's not at all a natural splay.

The all white angel hair knot is soft and oh so luxurious!... but probably the least backbone of any synthetic bar the original plisson. Did i mention it's really luxurious?!!

The original tuxedo knot from APshave co is very highly regarded (i have one on the way but no direct experience).

Plissoft knots are also very nice but somewhat underrated and for some reason people don't seem to set them in nice custom handles. The Razorock Bruce brush is one of my all time favourite synthetic brushes... It has just a standard plissoft knot.

Can't help on the badger knots as I ceased using badger brushes many years ago.

I can tell you everything about boar knots but you can't readily source just the knots so that info would be redundant.
I think my next brush better be a full moon from Milton.

I have you tried these brushes below ?? If you haven't otherwise come back next year in 2018

AP Shave Co 24/55mm Tuxedo w/ Blue Lagoon Handle click here
Envy Shave '8 Ball' 25/53mm Black Wolf fan knot click here
Yaqi Mysterious Space Handle Fan Shape Tuxedo 26/57mm knot click here

Last edited: