Where to buy a knot

I think my next brush better be a full moon from Milton.

Knowing you're a synth fan, I'd highly recommend the full moon mate! Probably my favourite overall knot.
The TurnNshave angel hair is pure luxury but basically no backbone.
That's what i mean about the full moon being great in all aspects (backbone, splay, density and softness).

Sorry for coming so late to the party :D

OK it depends on the amount of money you want to spend AND your patience...

For something truly superb: Declaration...well technically you can't buy a knot, but Scott will make you a knot for your brush handle - and I really love mine. You don't have much choice, but that's sometimes not a bad thing

If you know what you want - Bernd from Shavemac is your man. And forget what he has on offer on the site, you can Email him and pretty much get anything you want - dense/sparse, long white tips...only your imagination is the limit here I think. Not cheap, but don't forget you get 19% tax discount. And again, as far as I know, the only truly customisable knot on the market

I have an Envy White and while I like it, for me personally the Elite knot I have in my Platypus from Bob is absolute fantastic and I rate it higher than my Envy: super hooked tips, superb face feel...

Maseto on Ebay: solid knot, VERY well priced - I have a 50$ 30+mm brush that is really nice and super dense - my first brush from him shed and he replaced it straight away, no questions asked. I don't know, if he actually makes the knots himself, but he has definitely a very close relationship to the knot makers...

The problem with re-sellers (Elite, Envy, TGN,...): there is a sometimes huge variation between batches. I heard from someone, that 1 in 4-5 TGN knots are truly superb - but which one will you get?

And also think about the warranty: I am not sure, how much your handle costs, but I would assume you don't get much (if any) change from 100$ - and then imagine you have a knot that sheds in there. Or one that is scritchy (heard that about TGN as well) - or one that sheds AND is scritchy.

Getting a custom handle and a knot from separate places does have some risks involved, I would definitely only buy from a reputable and consistent source...

One more option you might have: if you already have a brush with a knot you love and a handle that you don't - get your handle maker to remove the knot (handle will most like not survive the process) and set that knot your handle.

No worries, Milton is the guy behind TurnNShave, the Full Moon is a 24mm synthetic knot that he sells either on its own, in an imperfect (see the link) clear handle (for no extra cost) or in custom handles. I've got one custom brush from him already and I love it, so I'll probably go custom again, but if you just want to try some new knots and aren't interested in the handle that much it literally costs the same for the knot by itself or in a clear handle. He'll also set the knot to whatever loft you want.

Sorry for coming so late to the party :D

OK it depends on the amount of money you want to spend AND your patience...

For something truly superb: Declaration...well technically you can't buy a knot, but Scott will make you a knot for your brush handle - and I really love mine. You don't have much choice, but that's sometimes not a bad thing

If you know what you want - Bernd from Shavemac is your man. And forget what he has on offer on the site, you can Email him and pretty much get anything you want - dense/sparse, long white tips...only your imagination is the limit here I think. Not cheap, but don't forget you get 19% tax discount. And again, as far as I know, the only truly customisable knot on the market

I have an Envy White and while I like it, for me personally the Elite knot I have in my Platypus from Bob is absolute fantastic and I rate it higher than my Envy: super hooked tips, superb face feel...

Maseto on Ebay: solid knot, VERY well priced - I have a 50$ 30+mm brush that is really nice and super dense - my first brush from him shed and he replaced it straight away, no questions asked. I don't know, if he actually makes the knots himself, but he has definitely a very close relationship to the knot makers...

The problem with re-sellers (Elite, Envy, TGN,...): there is a sometimes huge variation between batches. I heard from someone, that 1 in 4-5 TGN knots are truly superb - but which one will you get?

Thanks @alfredus for some good advice and interesting options. I think you are right about making sure I get a decent knot if I'm going to get a custom handle. As you and others have said it all depends on how much I want to spend, I'm going to have to look into the options and think about that.

And also think about the warranty: I am not sure, how much your handle costs, but I would assume you don't get much (if any) change from 100$ - and then imagine you have a knot that sheds in there. Or one that is scritchy (heard that about TGN as well) - or one that sheds AND is scritchy.

Getting a custom handle and a knot from separate places does have some risks involved, I would definitely only buy from a reputable and consistent source...

One more option you might have: if you already have a brush with a knot you love and a handle that you don't - get your handle maker to remove the knot (handle will most like not survive the process) and set that knot your handle.

Thanks guys for all the great advice, plenty to think about, really helpful to have some good information from which to start.

Got a few weeks to go. A brush is the top of the list. Still have soap I haven’t used. :/

If I was looking to buy a custom brush I would be looking to Doug Korn to make the handle and would send it on to Scott at Declaration for a knot. You couldn't possibly go wrong with that combination.

WOW - I think I need another brush :D :D :D

If I was looking to buy a custom brush I would be looking to Doug Korn to make the handle and would send it on to Scott at Declaration for a knot. You couldn't possibly go wrong with that combination.
How would you say declaration compares to M&F say. At the moment an M&F is top of my list.

How would you say declaration compares to M&F say. At the moment an M&F is top of my list.
I have two M&F brushes (one of which only recently arrived).

To be fair on both Declaration and M&F the knots are significantly different and it is a tough comparison. Both have their own qualities and are fantastic.

I won't say too much about the Sears/Sabini M&F collaboration except that it is unlikely that I will buy another brush from them. Don't get me wrong the knots are wonderful and for the best part the handles are equally as nice. I have however heard about a number of issues with consistency and quality. Regarding all other options all I will say is that having dealt with a variety of brush makers, handle turners and knot makers and I will stand by my previous statement. I would get a handle turned by Doug and a knot from Scott at Declaration.

Declaration knots are amazingly dense and soft. My 24mm knot is bigger than most of my 26mm knots and is an absolute joy to use.

+1
He said on his website that your unlikely to find a denser knot and i'm inclined to agree.

Denser than a Chubby?

WOW, seems I MUST have one ...

Denser than a Chubby?

WOW, seems I MUST have one ...
Never tried a Manchurian, but definitely denser than a best or super...

His websites closed atm due to him moving. Its meant to be reopening soon though. :)

WHAT!

Such pent up expectation I will experience - I want one NOW!!!

now.jpg