Where to purchase hones?

Arm85z

Hi all,

I am looking to get into using my straight razors more and want to hone my own. I have a few GD's on the way so I can get the feel of doing it without ruining a good razor but also have plans to fix up vintage blades as well. Not planning on doing it for profit but more for my own satisfaction.

Which are the best hones to purchase and where from in Australia?

After doing a fair bit of research I was thinking of a Choosera 800 or 1k to do bevel setting and possibly a Norton 48/8k to get started. Open to any ideas though.

If anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

The Chosera 1k is a very good solid hone, I personally use the Choseras and Shaptons when I go though a synthetic progression (which isn't quite often). They're both fast and durable because they're both made from a magnesium ceramic base. I would lean more towards the shapton pro as they're a better bang for buck and would definitely go for a set of 1k,2k,5k,8k which is a great progression. The nortons are good for the U.S guys because they get it at a good price, we get slammed with exchange rates plus postage, I'd say go for it if you could find a good deal on it otherwise I wouldn't look any further than those two.

If you are on a budget and would like to keep your own razors sharp then go for a set of Jende Diamond film for just over $50, they won't do heavy bevel setting but they're a complete set that go up to 30k.

I would lean more towards the shapton pro as they're a better bang for buck and would definitely go for a set of 1k,2k,5k,8k which is a great progression.

Thanks @Mark where would be the best place to purchase the shapton pro if you are getting them here in Aus?

Honestly I don't know of a good Aus retailer with shaptons, mine are from all over the place, some from ebay sellers, Japan etc.. Over the next few days I'll look into finding a good seller that could hook us up, I use the hell out of them because I do my knives on them too so I'll probably chew through them myself due to ease of use because they're splash and go with strong cutting power.

Also note that any stones require flattening with use so you'll need to use a diamond plate, I use a DMT 325, A cheap alternative will be to use SIC powder on a granite surface, but keep in mind that granite will dish as well. It all really depends on how serious you are on taking up honing.

That's not bad but we still get bent over with the currency rates today. I think we could do better.. (flips the tables to eagerly dig for old invoices)

That website I posted is in AUD so it's $239 Australian plus $13 shipping. I still don't know if that's a good deal or not.

That website I posted is in AUD so it's $239 Australian plus $13 shipping. I still don't know if that's a good deal or not.
I didn't realise it was AUD, in that case its quite a good deal, I would jump on it. the 1-5-8 would be the better combo they have. Although 1k to 5k is quite a big jump it will work until you find a 2k to wash down the progression and once you start getting good shavable edges off the 8k you can go for a 12k later. If you're going to grab that DMT by and chance use the code "WEBLAUNCH10" for 10% off.

Curiously, what's wrong with local offerings from Carbatec - where each of the Japanese waterstone grit is less than $50 a pop. I assume then that not all "Naniwa" are created equal? As Kizlyar and the Knife Shop, both local mobs, have them in the $50-100 zone. This other local mob has other Japanese stones in the same zone.

You've just pulled out a mix of different brands. The Naniwa super stones aren't bad at all but I can only see the 8k and 10k, for that kind of money you'd want a 12k instead as your finisher later on after your shapton, norton 8k or whatever you're using. I post recommendations based on my own experience and bang for buck, in this category you definitely don't want to settle for the cheapest. I've used just about all of them except the suehiro. So i post what I already have or what I would buy again instead of boring you to tears by writing a 20 page review.

By the way, some of those sellers have listed their naniwa super stones as ceramic, they are NOT ceramic, they're made from a resin based binder, not very dense but they're on the softer side which means they'll require a bit more lapping but will leave a higher polish on the edge

Thanks @Mark . My bad mate, I thought all Naniwa were equal but it looks like there's grades within...

I've had a chance to jump on the computer and do a bit of research on hone prices this morning. Looking at the two options that @Mark has posted we have the following options:

http://www.knivesandstones.com/shap...1k-5k-8k-or-12k-grit-japanese-waterstone-set/

Shapton Professional Stone Set 1K, 5K, 8K or 12K Grit Japanese Waterstone Set

1000, 5000, 8000 Grit

$239 AUD +$13 shipping = $252 AUD

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com

Naniwa Professional Stone (New Chosera) (1000 Grit) - $80.99 USD

Norton Combination Water Stones (4000/8000 Grit) - $80.99 USD

Subtotal - $166.98 USD

Shipping - $54.99 USD

Total - $221.97 USD

Based on current exchange rates = $304.74 AUD

www.amazon.com

Norton 24336 Japanese-Style Combination Waterstone 4000/8000 Grit, 8-Inch by 3-Inch by 1-Inch - $87.40

Chosera 1,000 Grit Stone - No Base - $73.79 (seller Village Blacksmith JAPAN)

Order Summary

Items (2): $161.19

Shipping & handling: $10.67

Order total: $171.86 USD

Based on current exchange rates = $235.95AUD

The shipping is what makes buying through Amazon a good deal. Paying only $10.67 shipping on the stones if you purchase them from the listed sellers.

For lapping I am looking into Silicon Carbide and a flat tile. Get get the Silicon Carbide from here:
http://aussiesapphire.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=156_170&products_id=945 - $10

Happy to hear everyones thoughts.

Tough one, I would still go for the shaptons as much I like my chosera 1k, providing they're faster and more durable than the nortons plus they're splash and go, the nortons are soakers, you will eventually need a 2k though to wash down the progression. But I would have to give this one to the trusty shapton pro.

Yeah that's where I got my SIC, and I bought a granite tile to use with it from HERE.

Once you become proficient at getting good shavable edges from your 8k, go for a shapton 12k or Naniwa specialty stone 12k and you're all set, you may strop on chromium oxide after the hone for a bit more oomph if you wish, I got mine from Larry (whipped dog) for a few bucks.

Some excellent info in this thread.

@bald as - where did you purchase that Chinese natural? It's put an amazing edge on your Benkei kamisori.

Hey @Mark - what would you recommend as a finishing hone to touch up kamisori and straights from time to time? Let's say price is not an issue. One day I'll get a full set of gear but for now I'm only interested in a finisher.