Which shaving product has really surprised you?

I was given a few packets of these as a freebie and asked to try them out. After seeing where they were made, I really wasn't expecting much from them at all. I loaded one in my Parker 99R Butterfly which gives a pretty aggressive shave with the Astra blades I normally use.

In the Parker, they actually felt quite dull so my suspicions were correct. However, after rinsing off, I was surprised at how smooth my skin was, they shaved better than the Astra's. Now I'm really hoping that someone will stock them as I really want more.

hurOtVwl.jpg
This reminds me of pre 1941 when we would send our scrap steel to Japan and they would send it back as razor blades.

I'd like to add Long Rifle soaps to this. I think we've become accustomed to expecting anything with a plain label to be cheap and nasty. These ARE cheap but their lather is pretty darn good. Have a few in my soap stash and use it for head shaves as it's slick as.

I've even learnt to love the Brown Bess scent.

I'd like to add Long Rifle soaps to this. I think we've become accustomed to expecting anything with a plain label to be cheap and nasty. These ARE cheap but their lather is pretty darn good. Have a few in my soap stash and use it for head shaves as it's slick as.

I've even learnt to love the Brown Bess scent.

Plus 1

I have 2 Long Rife soaps, Brown Bess and Hunting Lodge and I enjoy them.

The only Long Rifle product I didn't like was their shampoo soap as it was really only a hand soap with nothing extra in it.

Last edited:
Mammoth Kryptonite amazing scent and performance with the synthetic menthol is a perfect blend of just everything you want from a soap

An item that has really surprised me is the Gold Dollar W59. Out of ten that I bought, this one excelled. It takes the best edge that I can produce. Is sharper than a Feather DE blade, yet still gives a smooth and comfortable shave.

full

Under $20 including shipping on eBay and AliExpress. It comes sharp but not truly shave-ready, but what do you expect for the price.

With the pointy and sharp toe, I wouldn't recommend this SR for a n00bie to SR shaving. That toe really helps in shaving those difficult to reach places like the inside of nostrils and ear canals 😊.

Last edited:
The GFT Spanish Leather has really surprised me because I had some prejudice against shaving creams but this cream is performing better than most soaps and smells amazing
Brush:- Vie-Long 22mm Brown Horse Hair
Soap:- GEO.F.Trumper's - Spanish Leather
OLpB52D.jpg

Semogue badger and boar or Vie Long horse hair for brushes.
Vintage blades and Wizamets.
Persona adjustable for razor.
Mr Macri's soaps, a pity he and Dan didn't collaborate.
Top base and top scents and all made down under ftw.
Yet one staple would be Con's afternoon.
So good that my grandfather, a man with about 80 years shaving insisted in only using it after I introduced it to him.

I wish people would stop whining about Chinese rip offs. The Rex Ambassador, Taiga, Denali are razors ‘inspired’ by the Gibbs. The original Tradere was ’inspired‘ by the Pils razor. The Lansky and other razors of the same ilk have been ‘inspired’ by the Futur.

I wish people would stop whining about Chinese rip offs. The Rex Ambassador, Taiga, Denali are razors ‘inspired’ by the Gibbs. The original Tradere was ’inspired‘ by the Pils razor. The Lansky and other razors of the same ilk have been ‘inspired’ by the Futur.
But China is always gonna China!

...and with a day to further contemplate it, I suspect we can all.agree that traditional shaving products over electric and cartridges is the biggest shock and change, thus why were all here :)

I used Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap for the first time last night having previously used their body soap which I liked. However, the shaving soap is something else. It would have to be the slickest shave soap I've ever used. I was using a DE razor and was actually worried about it slipping as the soap was so slick. I'll try it tonight with a SR, but very carefully :LOL:

I used Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap for the first time last night having previously used their body soap which I liked. However, the shaving soap is something else. It would have to be the slickest shave soap I've ever used. I was using a DE razor and was actually worried about it slipping as the soap was so slick. I'll try it tonight with a SR, but very carefully :LOL:
The FAT will always stay in my den, try using the FAT for a whole month and your face will feel smooth and soft as a
LK91Bde.gif