Whisky and of course Whiskey

gthomas04

...was Drubbing's first. AKA Captain Tightarse
Nothing as fine as a single malt with a few drops of water - Laphraoigh is my top drop and I let everyone know as Birthdays & Christmas come closer. As a standby, I have developed a tast for Jamesons Irish - best blended I have tried and I can even handle it straight.

I still have a half bottle of Jamesons in the cabinet.

Super stuff, and I only drink it with dry ginger, I'm not mature enough to like it on ice yet.

I still have a half bottle of Jamesons in the cabinet.

Super stuff, and I only drink it with dry ginger, I'm not mature enough to like it on ice yet.

Do yourself a favour, unless you are only 10, put an ice cube in a scotch glass - pour the Jamesons over it and leave it for 5 minutes or so - you are allowed to sniff during this time. When the glass starts to feel a little chilled have a sip, swallow enjoy.

I quite like glenfarclas, yamazaki - top scotch for a japanese made whisky, laphraoigh is great as well.. there's a few others but my brain isn't work.

Can't it only be called Scotch if it is made in Scotland?

My old man used to like Dimple and Glenfiddich.

Not my taste really.

I quite like glenfarclas, yamazaki - top scotch for a japanese made whisky, laphraoigh is great as well.. there's a few others but my brain isn't work.

Glenfarclas is nice - I've been to the distillery
Yamazaki - got a bottle in the cupboard, it's OK but nothing special
Laphraoigh - is that the one that tastes like you are chewing peat? Not a big fan of the Islay malts

My favourites are Glen Grant 10yo and Cardhu. I got the mother-in-law to bring over some Glen Grant Majors reserve. Quite mild for a scotch, but a big glass with some ice goes down a treat!

I've also visited Jameson distillery in Dublin. They had a special reserve that was only being sold from there - not in shops. It was exquisite, but too expensive for me at the time.

Last edited:
For a single malt, Laphraoigh was good, but I loved lagavulin. I love the peaty Islay malts, still has the salty sea air effect.
Jamesons is great too, but I love tullamore dew.
For rums - Mt Gay, barbados rum

Last edited:
Seeing as I'm in Scotland... legally here it has to be aged 3 years (at least) to be able to call it whisky, before that it's simply spirit and it has to be distilled & aged entirely within Scotland to be called Scotch (although the barley can be from anywhere and it can be bottled anywhere too)

My top picks -

Springbank (a Campbeltown malt - a lot like the heavily peated Islay mob, but more refined)
Ardbeg (preferably from before the place was mothballed in the 1970s - peat-tastic)
Lagavulin (it's next door to Ardbeg... but a different style)

I avoid Laphraoig - when I was on Islay in '99 they were talking at Laphraoig about some chemical engineering they were doing (along with Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh) to make continuous process (like they have in grain distilleries) stills that replicated the output of the pot (batch) stills that every traditional malt distillery uses and has used for centuries.

Edradour - they have the smallest (legal) stills and their product is different to all the others as a result.
Talisker - peaty & peppery - just the job on a cold winter's night.

Irish:

Tyrconnel - Irish Malt whiskey - slips down a treat :)

Welsh :eek:mg::

Penderyn Peated - very similar to the Springbank 21yo (and a fraction of the price over here)

There's even an English whisky - English Whisky co. information about the company - not got around to trying that yet :cheesy:

Last edited:
Lagavulin (it's next door to Ardbeg... but a different style)
Hi 5 on the lagavulin.

Talisker - peaty & peppery - just the job on a cold winter's night.
My second fav scotch.

Irish:
Tyrconnel - Irish Malt whiskey - slips down a treat :)
Never heard of tyrconnel. I only know of jamesons, bushmills, powers, paddys and the tullamore dew.

As far as Welsh or English whiskys, there's even a tasmanian whisky I do believe.
Also I've also had a scottish bourbon! (OK it was only bottled there, but it was cheap, had a classy bottle - round bottle, thick base, cork top -, and was 40% a/v - tasted crap though)
But the bottle is a keeper once I get the label off

Last edited:
Lagavulin is the only islay I like. Much better balanced than the ones that try to beat you into peaty submission.

Highland Park and Aberlour see most of my scotch money.

I also like bourbon alot. I found my way to B&B via a bourbon website.

mmmm, whisky (scotch, bourbon, irish, etc)
Yamazaki 12yo - lighter, floral/spice flavour. not the best, but drinkable :)
Glenmorangie Astar - very intense flavours, but well balanced. i need more time with this one to become 'familiar'
Bakery Hill Cask Strength Peated - WOW, if you like eating smoke from a dense woodfire, this is the drink for you. nose and flavours do die down once the bottle gets exposed to air, unfortunately. too smoky for my liking. also tastes aniseed-y/'deep heat' when mixed with coke/dry ginger.
Dimple 15yo - one of the best blends i've had. very smooth.
Highland Park 12yo - best all-rounder, a bit of everything in there with very good balance. Can't wait to get a bottle of the 18yo.
Canadian Club 12yo - smooth, mild, almost bland. completely disappears when mixed.
Johnnie Walker Red/Black - terrible, terrible blend. distinctive JW taste unlike any other whisky, does not sit right with me at all.

Redbreast 12yo is next on the list for me

I am currently on Glenmorangie 12YO single malt aged in Quinta Rubin port casks

Has a slight butterscotch taste to it

Sounds nice mate. Does it take on some of the sweetness from the casks?

Always a bonus! I've let my bar run dry over the last few months as I ventured into wine. I'm going to Sicily in November, so I thought I'd better acquire the taste. Winter is coming, so it's probably time to get back in to the scotch!

Can anyone speak on behalf of the Glenlivet 12YO?

Always a bonus! I've let my bar run dry over the last few months as I ventured into wine. I'm going to Sicily in November, so I thought I'd better acquire the taste. Winter is coming, so it's probably time to get back in to the scotch!

Can anyone speak on behalf of the Glenlivet 12YO?

I use that as cooking whisky here :)

It's a pretty basic single malt Mong but it's not offensive or anything. I certainly wouldn't knock it back if someone was pouring me one. I'd still prefer it to any of the usual blended whiskies - johnny red and black, grants etc.

Not sure if budget is an issue but an extra 10 bucks to get into say an Aberlour 10 would be more rewarding IMO :)

HtH.

I use that as cooking whisky here :)

What are you cooking that has scotch in it mate? :confused:

It's a pretty basic single malt Mong but it's not offensive or anything. I certainly wouldn't knock it back if someone was pouring me one. I'd still prefer it to any of the usual blended whiskies - johnny red and black, grants etc.

Not sure if budget is an issue but an extra 10 bucks to get into say an Aberlour 10 would be more rewarding IMO :)

HtH.

Thanks SYD, I'll check out the Aberlour when I get down to Dan's on the weekend.