Whisky and of course Whiskey

Would you have a reasonably priced example in mind? Don't want to jump into the deep end if I'm not going to end up liking it.

So far in my recent experience, Laphroaig tastes medicinal, and Ron Swanson's favourite is way too peaty/ smoky for me.
I've tried others previously but a long time ago.

Scotch is never going to be really fruity though. It isn't made from fruit... Something like a Glen Livet or Glen Fiddich is pretty tasty IMO. The cheaper 12 yo are still nice, but you'll need to add more water than what you would for say the 18yo. If you don't like them at all, then maybe you aren't a scotch whisky guy.

In that case I'd try some brandy. Cognac is a grape brandy made in the Champagne region. VSOP is as cheap as you'd want to go, but is still tasty. Much sweeter than scotch whisky too. I quite like Calvados too, which is an apple brandy from Normandy in France. Brandy is lovely to slowly sip over an evening.

American whiskey is sweeter than scotch whisky as it has a high percentage of corn (scotch is mainly barley).

Another one to try is a decent bottle of rum. Rum is made from cane sugar, so very sweet. And delicious!

I tend to find that price is an ok indication of quality... to a point. Cheap anything usually isn't great. But there are plenty of spirits around the $100 mark that taste better than bottles twice their price! Johnny Walker Blue label is a good example. It is very nice, but for close to $180 a bottle you can do much better (at that price you can't go past Macallan 18), and even that Abelour I suggested above is possibly better!

Some good advise here.
@Mark1966 is the TRS still active ?

Really miss the culture of spirits here. In central and eastern Europe you get distilled spirits (I.e. stuff in the %40+ region) from nearly every fruit and grain there is - and there are some stellar Berry examples out there...

And then you have it sometimes aged in casks (I.e. Brandy/Whiskey style) and wow...

If you're ever in the region, try my favorite Zirbe (I think the translation is Pinecone) and Vogelbeere (rowanberry?)

Cheers @MrT I think you've confirmed what I've been thinking for a while in that I am more of a brandy drinker than a whisky drinker.

101 items $300+ @ Dans in Whisky alone :)

I've got a lots of Scotch Whisky and still LOVE them all and I still buy them :cool:

1. Johnnie Walker Black
2. Johnnie Walker Double Black ----> smoky & orange flavour yum yum
3. Johnnie Walker Gold Label Edition
4. Johnnie Walker Platinum -------> Very very smooth whisky my deepest favourite whisky
5. Johnnie Walker Blue Label
6. J&B Rare Scotch Whisky
7. Sullivan's Cove French Oak Cask ------> The world #1 scotch whisky against all the international world wide few years ago made in Tasmania.
8. Chivas Regal 12yrs old
9. Chivas Regal 18yrs old
10. Dimple 15yrs old
11. Aberlour a'bunadh Scotch Whisky
12. Dalwhinnie 15yrs old
13. Ardbeg 10yrs old
14. Glen Moray Classic
15. Bruichladdich The Laddie 10yrs old
16. Glen Grant The Major's Reserve Scotch Whisky ---> have this all the time only at the Masonic Lodge

Thanks @SpeedyPC

Got to try the Ardbeg the other day in the lounge. Very nice

So what did I get?

Ardbeg Ulgeadail 0.7L (0.7 l) - Discount (Ardbeg Bundle Two for $190)

Hendrick's Gin 44% 1L (1 l) - (for my wife's G&Ts - $65)

Balvenie Triple Cask 12y 40% 1L (1 l) - ($99)

Lots of stuff at pretty much local retail price and some local retail specials cheaper than duty free, which doesn't seem as good as it once was.

Reactions: MrT
It's been many a year since I had the stuff.
Kitsch it may have been but my family loved it as a mixer that was a bit different from your average run of the mill coke/lemonade/irn-bru/buckie mixer &c.

Thanks for your help guys -

Should keep me, my wife and a friend going for a little while ;)