Winter Fragrance (appropriate for work too)

Mong.

doesn't care for Euro Palmolive
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical
Not many fragrance people here, but I'll try anyway. It's getting too cold to wear aquatic and fruity summer fragrances anymore, and it's just weird when you smell like the tropics and it's pissing down outside. So, I'd like to find some idea for fragrances that I can go test out. I work in property consultancy, so it cannot be outlandish. Leaning towards classic, conservative scents is the way to go.

I'm leaning towards a vanilla based scent. Deep woods, leather, smoke and tobacco are all favourable notes. I definitely don't want something that relies on sweetness, and I'm also wary about anything Japanese-y. To me, that typically means scents with an element of tea, ginger, etc.

I don't want to break the bank with this, but I'd be wearing it most days in winter. On the lower end of things, I've got Jaipur Homme EdT and Bulgari Black EdT on my list to try thus far. Any suggestions fellas?

Hmmm, good question.

Having just got a 6 month old puppy at home 'Wet Dog' is my current fragrance du jour. It nicely compliments any aftershave I've found. Simply apply to clothes (liberally) while walking between the back door and garage. Last all day.

Happy to consider alternatives though if people have suggestions. I usually stop at A/S

Anything Vanilla will give a real Gourmand (sweet) accord even if matched with dry Woody base but won't be as overpowering. Vanilla is usually associated with Oriental family fragrances so it's a bit strange you then want to stay away from Japanese-y.

I think you actually want an Oriental base fragrance, either a Spicy or Woody Oriental.

Woody Orientals can wear very big - the obvious name here is Guerlain Habit Rouge but it's a BIIIIIG fragrance. Can be had cheaply if you do not buy from DJ's or Myer. Anyone under 40 would have a hard time wearing it but I like it.
Other ones to consider: Burberry Brit for Men, Thierry Mugler A*Men (original, there's a ton of flankers out).

Spicy Oriental: I have Armani Code which matches the description but it doesn't last the full day. YSL Body Kouros is the way to go - again can be had cheaply if you shop around. It's different to the original Kouros which has (to my nose and a few others too) a distinctly faecal note to it at times.

Bay Rum anyone? The scent can be a bit of an acquired taste but it has those warming properties for those chilly winter mornings.

I had a sample bottle of Captains Choice that I clumsily dropped and shattered. The scent does take a bit of getting used to.

Seems to be popular in the States but mensbiz carry a few products.

Having just got a 6 month old puppy at home 'Wet Dog' is my current fragrance du jour. It nicely compliments any aftershave I've found.

And exactly where was that posted in the new acquisitions thread? And you a mod!

What did you get? We are wondering what to get at the new house. I am wondering about a retired greyhound but the wife wants something that would be a bit more of a guard dog.

And exactly where was that posted in the new acquisitions thread? And you a mod!

What did you get? We are wondering what to get at the new house. I am wondering about a retired greyhound but the wife wants something that would be a bit more of a guard dog.

OOPS - better go there ...

Sir Irisch Moos, Jean Paul Gaultier or Gucci - Nobile are my go to range in winter, with Dunhill Desire Red mixed in upon occasion.

TOBS Eton is a good winter scent. I've recently bought some Kenneth Cole Black which I find to be good in winter too.

Not really up on man perfume myself. I dabbled for a while, but it's not me. You mention vanilla and I thought Trumpers Sandalwood was pretty good for that. Not woody like other sandalwoods. TOBS sandalwood is not too dissimilar, but far cheaper.

I quite like my Caron 3rd man for winter but it is a big scent for the office.

Maybe a fougere (sp?) could be the thing Mong? A bit of Drakkar Noir (y)

From your stated preference you should have a sniff of the Kouros "Body" I think that fits your description pretty well even if it's not to my taste.

I quite like my Caron 3rd man for winter but it is a big scent for the office.

Maybe a fougere (sp?) could be the thing Mong? A bit of Drakkar Noir (y)

From your stated preference you should have a sniff of the Kouros "Body" I think that fits your description pretty well even if it's not to my taste.

I'm not entirely convinced that I understand what 'fougere' actually means. Obviously, it's a fern-type of scent, but I fear smelling like forest dirt. I will check out Drakkar Noir and Kouros Body though, thanks for the suggestion SYD.

You guys mentioned TOBS and Trumpers, what kind of staying power do they have? Do they linger throughout the day or are they quick faders like an aftershave?

I'm not entirely convinced that I understand what 'fougere' actually means. Obviously, it's a fern-type of scent, but I fear smelling like forest dirt. I will check out Drakkar Noir and Kouros Body though, thanks for the suggestion SYD.

From Perfumes; The A-Z Guide

Ferns

The fougère (fern) genre has historically been the most fertile source of great masculine fragrances. Fougères are built on an accord between lavender and coumarin, with every conceivable variation and elaboration. Coumarin can be found in nature in several plants, such as Tonka beans, and it possesses intensive scent of freshly mown grass. Fougere compositions also often include notes of geranium, bergabot, moss and wood.

Great perfumery accords are like dominoes: when juxtaposed, the materials must have a number in common. In the case of lavender and coumarin, it is a herbaceous, green, inedible, soapy character. In the other directions, lavender has a fresh, thyme-like angle and coumarin a sweet, powdery, vanilla biscuit one. Fougère thus handily spans a wide soup-to-nuts spectrum with only two cheap materials. Further, each end of the accord can be varied, on one side with other herbes de Provence or citrus, on the other with vanillic and balsamic notes, without losing balance and clarity.

Sadly, in part because the idea is very old (Perfume-originator of this group is Fougere Royal by the house of Houbigant, created by Paul Parquet in 1882), there are very few pristine fougères around, and those that exist tend to smell cheap: Brut, Canoe. Once again, simplicity works best when the raw materials are luxurious. Ferns are usually labeled “lavender,” so try a few, not necessarily expensive big names, and see which one fits you.

Aromatic Fougère

A spicy variation on the fougère theme, which frees it from the slightly one-dimensional character of the basic accord and propels it into the realm of great, abstract perfumery, is the aromatic fougère, a territory so big it seems to serve occasionally as a “none
of the above.” Perhaps the finest early example of this might be Paco Rabanne pour Homme, the archetypal, slightly melancholy, muted masculine aromatic that maintains a close kinship with cleansing materials (soap, shaving cream, aftershave, hair tonic, etc.) but unequivocally states its purpose: to smell good beyond the call of duty.

In a duskier, more intense direction, one may list Blue Stratos, Azzaro, and Rive Gauche pour Homme in increasing order of sophistication. These are open-shirted, straightforward, virile, George Clooney fragrances, to be worn only if understated confidence comes naturally to you.

You guys mentioned TOBS and Trumpers, what kind of staying power do they have? Do they linger throughout the day or are they quick faders like an aftershave?
TOBS lasts a while, most of the day in my experience.
I dab a bit on my wrists, neck and behind the ears. I find it still smells, whether I can smell it or not.

From Perfumes; The A-Z Guide
In a duskier, more intense direction, one may list Blue Stratos, Azzaro, and Rive Gauche pour Homme in increasing order of sophistication. These are open-shirted, straightforward, virile, George Clooney fragrances, to be worn only if understated confidence comes naturally to you.

Clearly I've found my new perfume choices!

Blue Stratos is a bit naff to me, but Rivé Gauche PH is bloody amazing and can be had cheaply on many of the online retailers. I also have a small shop in Marrickville that does it for under $50 per 100ml.

Jesus I haven't even thought of Blue Stratos in 20 years. I loved it when I was under 20.

Perhaps the finest early example of this might be Paco Rabanne pour Homme, the archetypal, slightly melancholy, muted masculine aromatic that maintains a close kinship with cleansing materials (soap, shaving cream, aftershave, hair tonic, etc.) but unequivocally states its purpose: to smell good beyond the call of duty.

Okay, so it seems my understanding of scents is the problem here. I already wear Paco Rabanne occasionally, though my usual daily wear is Azzaro Chrome. I like the Paco, but it's quite an old school scent and though people have spoke well of it occasionally on me, I think it's a little beyond my years. The Rive Gauche pour Homme definitely sounds worth checking out further. I'm also a little intrigued by Guerlain Vetiver, which is a little more expensive but sounds pretty good.