Work Shirts

Those look like nice shirts @Mark1966

I'll let you know when I've had a chance to unpack them later.

Mine came the other day. Probably a week and a half from order. That's not bad. I got slim fit non iron with cutaway collars. A blue herringbone and a plum. I'll be getting another 2 before Xmas and will probably go extra slim fit

[sigh] Classic fit for me nowadays ....

I don't think there's a huge difference. I've has slims and classics and the slims are hardly fitted shirts.

If you can't be wide awake you might as well be wide [emoji6]

"Classic" fit is much more palatable marketing

Just notice that one shirt order in 'Classic' is provided in 'Slim Fit' - I might just try it on in case ...

I've still got a six pack - nowadays I just keep it in my esky though ...

I got the slim fit and found it wasn't too slim (apparently that's extra slims domain)

I think the horse has bolted at this point but I'll add my 2 cents to the discussion.

I'm a big fan of TM Lewin shirts - I have a selection of white and light blue twill, as well as a white and a lavender small check poplin - all in slim fit. I'm 5' 10" and ~75kg, and I find the slim fit (in 15/34) is fitted, without being stupid tight either. Certainly a nicer fit than my second tier "shit I haven't ironed this week" shirts, which are euro cut Van Heusens.

I only have enough TML shirts to run a full week before needing to wash. This means they all generally do get washed and ironed every single week. Even still, I've had all of these for at least.. shit, nearly 3 years now (!) - and I have had no buttons fall off, no tears, and no visible sign of deterioration that I have seen either.

I certainly recommend TML shirts, and will be continuing to buy them in the future.

I've had TML a couple of times and the problem I've found is wear on the tips of the collars. Not sure why and have not had this before. This is why I went back and tried Pickashirt and now CT.

Just a note for people buying the Tyrwhitt shirts. With the benefit of a few months of once-a-week wear, the non-iron qualities of the non-iron range have diminished quite a bit. Obviously whatever they use to treat the cotton has now washed out, so in hindsight, the regular cotton would probably have been better.

BOXING5 gives an extra 5% off and free shipping at http://www.ctshirts.com.au/default.aspx
If that doesn't work, LGK5 will give free shipping.
Currently advertising shirts as cheap as $29.95.

Last edited:
I ordered a batch of CT shirts a while back and i wasn't too impressed. I got a casual shirt (very similar to the washed blue oxford they have on the site now, minus the chest pocket) and several non iron business shirts. The fabric was too thick for Australia...even the casual shirt which wasn't non-iron felt thick and stiff, and washing with fabric softener didn't make much of a difference. The shirts were also surprisingly hard to iron as the thick fabric kept bunching up on the ironing board and developing crease lines like the one in this pic :

JLhDG8W.jpg

For some reason the business shirts also seemed to have a noticable yellowish tint to them, i checked them in different lighting conditions and even the white one was noticably yellowish. Gonna be sending the whole lot back soon.

Slim fit also was more like a classic fit in my experience, far too baggy for me (i'm tall and skinny).

Was tempted to try TM lewin, but they don't have free returns so it's kind of risky. They are also based out of London so i was thinking their fabrics would be as thick as CT....and i can't figure out how their sleeve measurement works, i got measured by a tailor, and the number i got for sleeve length was much smaller than anything on the TM lewin website.

Very interested in pickashirt.com, but $10 to ship one shirt is making me pause, and i'm not sure if i want to order 5 or more without testing out one. They don't have free returns either. Anyone here have any experience with them?

Need to get some business pants too...

The CT fabrics vary widely. I have some non iron shorts that feel like fine cotton, others are thick weaves, like twill. It all comes down to the fabric you choose. Poplin, Egyptian cotton and a couple of others are probably finer weight. My last two shirts were a regency weave and a herringbone. Quite thick, but I find them wearable because they fit and wear so well. Bear in mind, such sellers want people to feel they get value for money, and thin shirts don't usually give that impression.

As for the ironing, I got to say that's operator error, as thick fabrics will bunch up of you don't have the right ironing skills. I have no problems ironing them, especially the non iron shorts, which do need a light iron.

The funny thing was that most of the shirts i bought was poplin, and CT told me that was their lightest weave. It still felt much thicker than most of my shirts.

Might be operator error i guess, but i'm not sure what i might be doing that is causing the fabric to bunch up like that. I tried laying them down as flat on the ironing board as possible but they wouldnt stay perfectly flat no matter what i did.

Dunno what to say. They obviously give a lot of fabric for the money. I find it makes them wear longer…

The all cotton shorts are a pain to iron, the creases won't drop out without lots of steam and heat. So I don't buy them.

The weird part is that some all cotton shirts barely wrinkle...i have some, but those were gotten more by luck than anything else.