Adhesive residue after steaming off knot

Dakkith

I picked up a Yaqi resin brush and wanted to replace the synthetic knot it came with. I don't know what adhesive they use, but it was only with great difficult I eventually managed to steam the knot off. Three attempts and a fair bit of force required!

Anyone got some idea of what this adhesive is, and what the best way would be to clean it up so I can put a new knot in? Is there a solvent I could use without damaging the resin handle, or should I get in there with some sandpaper (or a Dremel with some sort of tool...).

Thanks in advance. :)

NvORyRd.jpg

I've had the same issue with YAQI brushes. I don't know what they use but it's an awesome glue. I just kept on steaming it to scrape what I could out with a knife before it cooled. Then like Ebonysw45, used a drill to clean it out further.

I've had the same issue with YAQI brushes. I don't know what they use but it's an awesome glue.
I'll second that. I had a badly chipped white handle from which I wanted to salvage the 30mm Boss knot. I had to resort to saws and grinders, and utterly destroyed the handle. I don't reckon any God would stand a chance of dislodging it by kinder means.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. That adhesive truly is something!

I use a dremel and the #115 cutting bit to clean out the inside of the vintage brushes I've restored.

Ahh - thanks for the specific attachment recommendation! I've just ordered a Dremel and I'll go pick up that cutting bit to go along with it.

Do not use any solvents or the likes as you will more than likely damage the handle. I usually drill any resin from the handle on a lathe using a fostner bit the size of the hole which helps stabilise the bit and drill until I have the correct depth for the new knot. A Dremel will do the job but be careful as dremels can tend to run. Time and patience will get the job done.
Cheers
Tony