Assess my current brush, maybe suggest a new one?

If you want a scrubbly brush with good backbone yet softness, I think the cheap VieLong Horsey brushes are far superior to the best of the Omega Boars. Maybe I need to send mine to Drubbing so he may be enlightened.

Mitsi, which Vie-Long's have you used? Tricky to find, where did you source yours from?

Thx. :)

Mitsi, which Vie-Long's have you used? Tricky to find, where did you source yours from?

Thx. :)

I only have a 13710 - but I do like it and am considering another higher-end model, and then also a mixed badger/horse brush.

Horse Shaving Brushes - Gifts&Care

Gifts & Care have been active here as vendors here in the past. The only issue is that once you get past a few items (500g??), then the cost of postage rises quite high. That issue is with the Spanish postal service who charge like AusPost does - not with G&C.

They offer a custom brush service in conjunction with Vie-Long. I find that they have plenty of backbone so shorter lofts are unnecessary. I'd love to get a larger diameter knot - say 24mm - but they do not offer that as yet, just loft changes.

I only have a 13710 - but I do like it and am considering another higher-end model, and then also a mixed badger/horse brush.

Horse Shaving Brushes - Gifts&Care

Gifts & Care have been active here as vendors here in the past. The only issue is that once you get past a few items (500g??), then the cost of postage rises quite high. That issue is with the Spanish postal service who charge like AusPost does - not with G&C.

They offer a custom brush service in conjunction with Vie-Long. I find that they have plenty of backbone so shorter lofts are unnecessary. I'd love to get a larger diameter knot - say 24mm - but they do not offer that as yet, just loft changes.

Ah...thanks for that. I was actually looking at that very site this morning...small world!

Excellent I'll have a look around at it. :)

PS. See what you mean with the postage....a single brush is 5.50 postage, then up to 5 of them is 11.90, but that 6th one makes it 22.90. Not bad for a single brush purchase though.

Last edited:
I've got the little 13120M horse hair travel brush. I like small brushes. It's a really nice knot with a great little handle. Would recommend it and horse hair in general. No animal has to die if you're worried about that aspect of it.

Think your going to be surprised at how much you're going to like the #6 horse. They're a little 'gamey' at first but just use some Dawn dish soap on them and it'll go away soon.
One thing on all your brushes . When you 'shake' them out to dry them; make sure you hold them at the knot. It will help with not loosing hair.