August 2013 Aquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just keep going Ybbor. You can safely buy a carton of La Toja. Plenty of takers this end. Wasn't that the objective of your Spain trip? To replenish the stocks of your P&C mates?

That's actually a good idea - maybe we need to do a group buy again. Possibly Ybor will have a lot of extras in his luggage anyway when he comes back.

I would normally be tempted, but I have almost 4 full sticks of soap as it is.

My last lot of vintage blades arrived today. I think I now have a 4 year supply of everything, and the only thing I can now justify spending any money on is a new brush.

A very clean one of these turned up with them... worth anything on the bay?

$T2eC16dHJHIE9nysfB)eBQuCUL,G,Q~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:
I've got a couple of those...paid maybe $10 each or got them free. So unless they are a spectacularly rare one, I don't think they are worth much. Keep it for a PIF or Mrs Egg's leg shaving.

I've got a couple of those...paid maybe $10 each or got them free. So unless they are a spectacularly rare one, I don't think they are worth much. Keep it for a PIF or Mrs Egg's leg shaving.

I neither want, or need a 5th razor. I have one in my Malaysia residence, and 3 in Darwin. I might see if I can get a bite at $10 on ebay, if not into the PIF box it goes.

So my August 2013 acquisitions all arrived this week while I was largely away for work. What are they? Glad you asked :D

First, a 1905 booklet that Gillette sent out in response to enquiries generated by their advertisements (remember, they were a radical change from previous shaving methods). You can see some more info in this B&B thread. I'm particularly pleased to see this arrive. After this thread was posted the seller was contacted by other people offering more than the sale price. She had integrity and kept to the deal. I know at least one of the people who offered is a B&B member.

Not surprisingly really - nobody has indicated that they have seen one of these before. It goes nicely with this postcard I received last month which also seems unique.

Second, a NOS No53 set (Aristocrat Junior) with shipper, NOS blades, instructions and cellophane wrapped razor. Another great pickup for a collector - not many in this condition!

Third, is a straight! Yes, a straight razor, shown in the auction listing here. A local purchase as it happened but interest was because of the W JNO BAKER connection. They were a famous Sydney firm. I have one of their close Single Rings, a Milady with their logo on the ribbon and, mentioned here for the first time anywhere, an ABC Pocket Edition with their logo embossed. This just fills out that side of the collection a little.

Last, by no means least was this lot that arrived today. Can anybody recognise the razor in the middle of the three uncased ones? Go on, think O-L-D Gillettes.

Correct - A Double Ring - the very first Gillette. At least that is was I HOPED it was.

It arrived today and it did look correct like a legitimate Double Ring but there were some clones so I unscrewed it and checked the serial number. OOPS, no serial number :(

Then I noticed the fair markings around the bottom of the barrel, 'Pat App For'.

:amazed:

This is one of the very first 1903/04 Double Rings prior to the patent being granted in November 1904. One of an estimated 55k produced before serial numbering started. I have one already but this will be a nice accompaniment.

Overall a good month, far better than most

Last edited:
I neither want, or need a 5th razor. I have one in my Malaysia residence, and 3 in Darwin. I might see if I can get a bite at $10 on ebay, if not into the PIF box it goes.

If the handle on that black handled Super Speed is in good condition you might get a little more than $10 - hard to fine with a nice handle.

If the handle on that black handled Super Speed is in good condition you might get a little more than $10 - hard to fine with a nice handle.

It does seem to be in pretty good nick. I'll get a photo or two tomorrow

.............After this thread was posted the seller was contacted by other people offering more than the sale price. She had integrity and kept to the deal. I know at least one of the people who offered is a gentleman from B&B.........

Fixed that for ya.

Nice pick up with the double ring. Until it arrived I bet you kept that quiet from the hyenas over at B&B.

Fixed that for ya.

Nice pick up with the double ring. Until it arrived I bet you kept that quiet from the hyenas over at B&B.

Thanks mate :)

The DR was a great surprise - topped off an already pretty incredible month really with the booklet and NOS No 53 set

Nice haul there, Mark. Are you gonna have a shave with the straight?

Wow.... More amazing stuff Mark!

Thanks mate. After a VERY lean period it was a good month. Just when you think you will stop collecting ...

Nice haul there, Mark. Are you gonna have a shave with the straight?

Thanks.

The straight is for show. I could get it honed but would blunt it with my stropping I think - then the shave would be REALLY ugly!

Thanks mate. After a VERY lean period it was a good month. Just when you think you will stop collecting ...

Isn't this when it gets exciting? Waiting for those last few elusive razors to come up, spying that hidden gem amongst the usual dross

Status
Not open for further replies.