Aussie straight razors!!

Be an interesting class indeed.
Pity it's in ACT.

They say you should never trust a skinny chef. I'm sure I can wiggle that around for a bearded razor maker :LOL:

In serious mode though good luck to them. Always happy to see aussie craftsmen succeed, even more so when it is in a niche I am interested in.

I just emailed them about the price of a Kamisori.

I would love to go to a session and make a couple.

Next holidays perhaps.

What a magical day that would be.

They say you should never trust a skinny chef. I'm sure I can wiggle that around for a bearded razor maker :LOL:

In serious mode though good luck to them. Always happy to see aussie craftsmen succeed, even more so when it is in a niche I am interested in.

From Dean (DJ):
"If you post on the Aus. Paste and Cut Forums, say g'day to vanNek for me and please let SmallYetDeadly know that I only have a goaty not a full beard lol"

I just emailed them about the price of a Kamisori.

I would love to go to a session and make a couple.

Next holidays perhaps.

What a magical day that would be.

Those Kamisori look beautiful alright. And I'd also love to make a couple for myself. They'd turn out as crooked as a one-arm bandit but they'll still look good. [emoji13]

From Dean (DJ):
"If you post on the Aus. Paste and Cut Forums, say g'day to vanNek for me and please let SmallYetDeadly know that I only have a goaty not a full beard lol"

I WILL be buying a Damascus kamasuri!!

Just got a fill up then funds account...

If you know DJ you should get us a price list...

I WILL be buying a Damascus kamasuri!!

Just got a fill up then funds account...

If you know DJ you should get us a price list...

I don't know Dean. Like @Marlow, I emailed him.

Here's his prices for his Western style razors:

$275.00Aud Plain “Traveller” (smaller) Folding Cutthroat

$300.00 Aud Plain Folding Cutthroat

$350.00 Aud Limited Edition (Patterned Scales) Folding Cutthroat

I also do strops made from rare woods for $50.00

$180 for standard & $280 for Damascus!!!

What are the Kamisori like to shave with compared to the cut-throats?
Easier, harder or just different?

No idea, don't have one yet... So how does he know about this thread......**suspicious eyes**

Can't he simply read it?
How new is his store?

I use a Feather Artist Club Kamisori and love it but I have only tried a Cut Throat once about 30/35 years ago.

Myself I love the Kamisori for how it looks and it is pretty easy to use, well after a bit of practice and blood letting.

I would like to bind the handle in something that looks good but also simple.

Maybe just whip it with cord. I was thinking about a Stingray skin wrap first like a Katana but that may be getting a bit too fancy.

I want one, the Damascus one of course, but I would need to save some dough and them somehow smuggle it in under her watchful eyes.

What are the Kamisori like to shave with compared to the cut-throats?
Easier, harder or just different?
The major different is, you only Shave with one side of the blade, it's not a symmetrical grind like a western razor, I also believe honing is totally different, with a 1/20 ratio, of on lap on one side and 20 on the other (or so I'm let to believe).
It's a bit like saying a shavette is the same as a straight razor.. Same but, hell of a lot different as well.
dkzkv5U.png

Credit for the picture goes here- http://straightrazorplace.com/razors/57638-iwasaki-kamisori-vs-busch-solingen-photo-heavy.html

Edit: didnt realise how old this topic is until after posting the above, sorry for bring it back from the dead.

Edit: didnt realise how old this topic is until after posting the above, sorry for bring it back from the dead.
Nps. Old topics and off topics are what we are known for around here! Dig up the dirt and bring 'em back from the dead...

The picture is a helpful illustration of your point -thanks! I'd like to try a Kamisori one day. I hear they are very sharp.

@filobiblic You can borrow one of mine. The asymmetric grind will slightly differ in the shave. Right side, right hand is normal, Left side left hand, the spine almost sits flat to your face to maintain the same cutting angle.

Honing is also different. There's 3:1 5:1 7:1 and 10:1 depending on the blade itself. I set a bevel on a soft Narutaki and work up through a 5 Jnat progression or use a Mikawa nagura set. I'll only ever put them on a synthetic if the bevel needs serious work or if it's new and barely has a bevel otherwise it's all done traditionally done. They do get super sharp, what considers to be sharp enough on a western razor isn't good enough on a Kamisori.