Back on the List

StratMan

Yeah RAD kicked in soon as I saw a few pics of the Wolfman offers in bronze :love: these look so good I just couldnt resist... but my problems have now just began

As many of you know I own a WR2 1.25 which would have to be the smoothest razor I own while also remaining super efficient. It is so smooth, the razor truly lulls you into a false sense of security and if you take your mind of the job you the wolf can bite and leave its mark, treat it with respect you get sensational shaves.

The only other issue is that is is so efficient, by the time I complete a traditional 3 pass shave with ATG there isnt much to shave off the next day, but I love to shave so shave anyway and if not careful and attentive can end up a little tender. I am now well acquainted with this razor and can shave daily with it but it really is at the top end of what I would go for in efficiency for a daily.

@Errol I have read all your excellent reviews on all WR1 and WR2 models and could really use your expertise to try resolve my dilemma.. I really want to go for a bronze wolfman, that's the easy part, but which do I get?

A WR1 to provide a different shaving experience or stick with the WR2 I now I love? If I stayed with a WR2 the choice would be easy and feel a WR2 1.15 would suit my perfectly to provide plenty of efficiency to achieve my daily goal of BBS and provide more comfort in the shave. But question here is would it really be much of a difference to what I already have? It's a lot of money to spend on something that may be minimal.

I have used a WR1 .67 back in the days when I started DE shaving. It was this forums generosity in organising the hardware pass around. Unfortunately I was too inexperienced to appreciate the razor so don't really remember much except for remember its nimble sports car like head and it being without doubt the best razor I had used at the time. I didn't even know there was a waiting list for one back then and thought I could just order one online :)

If I did go for a WR1 I would peg back the efficiency a touch with either a WR1 0.80 or even more with a WR1 0.74 but no idea if I should get an OC or a SB. Have read that the WR1 prefers the OC configuration but really have no idea.

Errol, while reading your reviews on the wolfman series I noticed you didn't like the WR1 0.67 SB shave at all, but at the end of the reviews you tried the 0.67 OC and enjoyed it. You mentioned you would revisit this and was wondering if you had?

With all the above taken into consideration I am tossing up between a WR1 0.74 SB or a WR2 1.15 SB. what would you recommend I go with? is there much of a difference between the 1.15 and 1.25 to warrant another purchase? much difference between the OC and SB in a WR1?

sorry about all the questions but the wolf isnt a small purchase and I really wanna get this right, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated..

I would love to hear feedback and suggestions from anyone out there with wolfman experience :)

:X3: eye candy anyone? Pre and Post 'aging' a bronze WR2 :love:

52295360468_fc0b6a7e96_b.jpg

52294375032_30902356b9_b.jpg

52295361051_10f9442844_b.jpg

52295850205_b227e54c4c_b.jpg

G’day @StratMan - I have a WR1 and WR2 in SB. Love them both. My sensitive skin cannot handle OCs. I have tried about 10 variants over the years, and whilst they often give me a super-close shave, It is at the expense of irritation.
What I can say is that, for me, the WR2 SB with a relatively large blade gap (1.2mm) gives a similar shave to the WR1 SB with about half the gap.

Yeah RAD kicked in soon as I saw a few pics of the Wolfman offers in bronze :love: these look so good I just couldnt resist... but my problems have now just began

As many of you know I own a WR2 1.25 which would have to be the smoothest razor I own while also remaining super efficient. It is so smooth, the razor truly lulls you into a false sense of security and if you take your mind of the job you the wolf can bite and leave its mark, treat it with respect you get sensational shaves.

The only other issue is that is is so efficient, by the time I complete a traditional 3 pass shave with ATG there isnt much to shave off the next day, but I love to shave so shave anyway and if not careful and attentive can end up a little tender. I am now well acquainted with this razor and can shave daily with it but it really is at the top end of what I would go for in efficiency for a daily.

@Errol I have read all your excellent reviews on all WR1 and WR2 models and could really use your expertise to try resolve my dilemma.. I really want to go for a bronze wolfman, that's the easy part, but which do I get?

A WR1 to provide a different shaving experience or stick with the WR2 I now I love? If I stayed with a WR2 the choice would be easy and feel a WR2 1.15 would suit my perfectly to provide plenty of efficiency to achieve my daily goal of BBS and provide more comfort in the shave. But question here is would it really be much of a difference to what I already have? It's a lot of money to spend on something that may be minimal.

I have used a WR1 .67 back in the days when I started DE shaving. It was this forums generosity in organising the hardware pass around. Unfortunately I was too inexperienced to appreciate the razor so don't really remember much except for remember its nimble sports car like head and it being without doubt the best razor I had used at the time. I didn't even know there was a waiting list for one back then and thought I could just order one online :)

If I did go for a WR1 I would peg back the efficiency a touch with either a WR1 0.80 or even more with a WR1 0.74 but no idea if I should get an OC or a SB. Have read that the WR1 prefers the OC configuration but really have no idea.

Errol, while reading your reviews on the wolfman series I noticed you didn't like the WR1 0.67 SB shave at all, but at the end of the reviews you tried the 0.67 OC and enjoyed it. You mentioned you would revisit this and was wondering if you had?

With all the above taken into consideration I am tossing up between a WR1 0.74 SB or a WR2 1.15 SB. what would you recommend I go with? is there much of a difference between the 1.15 and 1.25 to warrant another purchase? much difference between the OC and SB in a WR1?

sorry about all the questions but the wolf isnt a small purchase and I really wanna get this right, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated..

I would love to hear feedback and suggestions from anyone out there with wolfman experience :)

@StratMan Where to start? I like all Wolfman razors but I find the WR2 to be more refined than the WR1, my feeling is that WR2's deliver a smoother shave in a comfortable no fuss manner. I've had good shaves with a WR1 but in general they seem to be a bit agricultural in the way they deliver, have more blade feel and are not as smooth as the WR2. It would be boring and not good for Wolfman's business if both the WR1 and the WR2 shaved the same, given a choice it would be a WR2 every time, but like all aspects of shaving, everyone is different and have varying views. I fully appreciate why @Mark1966 has issues with Wolfman when the model he used was the WR1, if he was to use a WR2 I'm sure his comments would differ if he was honest and willing to try another Wolfman.

You say that you like the WR2 so that would be my recommendation. Simple solution, go with the bronze WR2 in 1.15. From my observation there is little difference in efficiency between the 0.95, 1.05 and 1.15 plates and you will not notice much difference between the 1.15 and the 1.25 plates. For my first bronze WR2 I actually went for a 1.35 plate, it is a beautiful piece, finished in basic polish and I'll have a look at it next year sometime. Currently I have a bronze WR1 on order and am actually thinking of a 0.54 OC plate when the final decision is made. I am not a fan of dual plates and to demonstrate that notion, the very first Wolfman I bought in 2017 was a Ti WR1 with a dual plate and I have never used it. Every time I get a feeling of guilts, I pull it out, have a look at it and pack it away again. Wolfman delivery times are now only about three of four months so you should have it by Christmas. Good luck with whatever you choose.

... I fully appreciate why @Mark1966 has issues with Wolfman when the model he used was the WR1, if he was to use a WR2 I'm sure his comments would differ if he was honest and willing to try another Wolfman.

Sure, people know my address around here ;)

Lots of really helpful input here. (y) If I were in the market for a Wolfperson, choosing the right gap would be really hard without recommendations such as these. The choice of OC or SB seems straightforward to me. If you shave every day, you have no need of an OC. And this is from someone who used to use an R41 and then a JAWS daily. Experience has since taught me better.

Congrats on settling on another Wolfman razor and in bronze too boot!

From research the WR2 gaps are very minimal difference so you'd be best to go 1.35 instead of 1.15, whereas WR1 gaps get more blade feel as you go up so not sure .74 will be as smooth but then again I love the standard WR1 as it shaved better than WR2 so YMMV???

@Blackie I hear ya mate and if I get a WR1 it will certainly be an OC, if a WR2 I have to invoke the SB :)

@TomG thanks for your info, what gap in WR1 do you have? My skin isnt sensitive but seems not to be as leathery as @Blackie :) so this one is a 50/50.. WR2 is a SB and WR1 an OC

@Errol I love the WR2 and feel the 1.15 is the sweet spot for a daily driver. I can use the 1.25 as a daily driver but in my heart feel the 1.15 WR2 is the one I should go for to sacrifice a touch of efficiency for a lot more comfort... BUT the YMMV aspect is true for sure and I may well actually love the variance the WR1 will provide.. as they say in the NT, you never never know if you never never go and thankfully I have been offered a trial with the WR1 OC .67 from none other than the one from the never never himself @Holiday . once I try the WR1 for myself I should know, even though its a milder blade gap than i would normally go for it should give me a decent feel for the WR1 in OC, and who knows may even love the milder gaqp.. if its not a good experience i'll go the WR2

@SpeedyPC I have no doubt i'll change my mind many times over, but that's half the fun :)

@Gargravarr you would think the choice of OC v SB would be a straight forward one but from what I have heard and read, the OC excels in the WR1 and the SB excels in the SB configuration.. I have also enjoyed a R41 and JAWs in the den but surely a WR1 .67 OC wouldnt feel as 'aggressive' as a WR2 1.55 SB? i feel its a numbers game and config plays a big part.... then there is YMMV..

@Razor Burn if there was ever one thrown from left field this would be it lol I want less efficiency out of a WR2 but def agree on YMMV so the WR1 may even end up the preferred

@Holiday , thanks for your generous offer to trial the razor mate.. much appreciated. One thing is for sure the more you ask the less you know so really appreciate the offer to actually try one for myself as that is really the only way to know

@Blackie I hear ya mate and if I get a WR1 it will certainly be an OC, if a WR2 I have to invoke the SB :)

@TomG thanks for your info, what gap in WR1 do you have? My skin isnt sensitive but seems not to be as leathery as @Blackie :) so this one is a 50/50.. WR2 is a SB and WR1 an OC

@Errol I love the WR2 and feel the 1.15 is the sweet spot for a daily driver. I can use the 1.25 as a daily driver but in my heart feel the 1.15 WR2 is the one I should go for to sacrifice a touch of efficiency for a lot more comfort... BUT the YMMV aspect is true for sure and I may well actually love the variance the WR1 will provide.. as they say in the NT, you never never know if you never never go and thankfully I have been offered a trial with the WR1 OC .67 from none other than the one from the never never himself @Holiday . once I try the WR1 for myself I should know, even though its a milder blade gap than i would normally go for it should give me a decent feel for the WR1 in OC, and who knows may even love the milder gaqp.. if its not a good experience i'll go the WR2

@SpeedyPC I have no doubt i'll change my mind many times over, but that's half the fun :)

@Gargravarr you would think the choice of OC v SB would be a straight forward one but from what I have heard and read, the OC excels in the WR1 and the SB excels in the SB configuration.. I have also enjoyed a R41 and JAWs in the den but surely a WR1 .67 OC wouldnt feel as 'aggressive' as a WR2 1.55 SB? i feel its a numbers game and config plays a big part.... then there is YMMV..

@Razor Burn if there was ever one thrown from left field this would be it lol I want less efficiency out of a WR2 but def agree on YMMV so the WR1 may even end up the preferred

@Holiday , thanks for your generous offer to trial the razor mate.. much appreciated. One thing is for sure the more you ask the less you know so really appreciate the offer to actually try one for myself as that is really the only way to know
I hope your trial of @Holiday's razor goes well, though I suspect @Errol might be on the money in suggesting the WR2 with the 1.15 might be where it's at for you. His description of the WR1 as "agricultural" made me LOL :D

Of course, you could always go off the beaten track and try out the WR3 and see if @Errol's wrong (yet again). :p

Last edited:
@Gargravarr IMHO the WR3 looks quite ugly and for the SOTD pics alone I wouldnt go the WR3 :) but in all seriousness I have yet to get along with a SE and according to Errols review I wouldnt go that route but starting to think the WR2 will be the choice for me. I'll have to try out the WR1 to confirm this of course

@Errol I am starting to think the WR2 is for me but we'll see. I really love the look of the OC in WR2 (and WR1) so I re-read your WR2 1.05 OC review and would love to get your thoughts on a few things.

It sounds like the OC teeth on the WR2 didnt have any negative effect on smoothness. Would you say the OC in WR2 is as smooth as the SB and does it change efficiency?

I am thinking of a WR2 1.15 in OC but didnt want to sacrifice on the smoothness the SB version. How would you rate the smoothness and efficiency of the WR2 1.05 OC vs the 1.15SB?

regarding the handle, what are your thoughts on hollow v solid? I have a solid WRH2 on my 1.25 and enjoy the heft but wondering what difference the hollow handle makes in your opinion

sorry about all the questions but really wanna get this one right... atm my pick would be a bronze WR2 1.15 OC but want to ensure I take one step down in efficiency and a step up in smoothness (if that is even possible :p)

@Gargravarr IMHO the WR3 looks quite ugly and for the SOTD pics alone I wouldnt go the WR3 :) but in all seriousness I have yet to get along with a SE and according to Errols review I wouldnt go that route but starting to think the WR2 will be the choice for me. I'll have to try out the WR1 to confirm this of course

@Errol I am starting to think the WR2 is for me but we'll see. I really love the look of the OC in WR2 (and WR1) so I re-read your WR2 1.05 OC review and would love to get your thoughts on a few things.

It sounds like the OC teeth on the WR2 didnt have any negative effect on smoothness. Would you say the OC in WR2 is as smooth as the SB and does it change efficiency?

I am thinking of a WR2 1.15 in OC but didnt want to sacrifice on the smoothness the SB version. How would you rate the smoothness and efficiency of the WR2 1.05 OC vs the 1.15SB?

regarding the handle, what are your thoughts on hollow v solid? I have a solid WRH2 on my 1.25 and enjoy the heft but wondering what difference the hollow handle makes in your opinion

sorry about all the questions but really wanna get this one right... atm my pick would be a bronze WR2 1.15 OC but want to ensure I take one step down in efficiency and a step up in smoothness (if that is even possible :p)
From reading reviews I get the impression that the Wolfman WR2 OC isn't that more blade feel than SB versions so you should be fine going a gap down from SB 1.25 to OC 1.15 and achieve greater efficiency without aggressive blade feel but then again more competent members have provided better feedback which looks spot on!

If I had my time again I'd trade all my collection and go with what @Mark1966 had and @Holiday now has as I'm yet to try a DE that shaved as effortlessly than the standard WR1 SB and strongly believe that the OC would be the step up in efficiency for my growth and still be comfortable enough to use daily. That's the real key as its hard justifying the coin on a nice looking razor that only get occasional use so I think you'd find WR2 1.15 OC perfect or 1.05 OC that can match the WR2 1.25 SB but still safe for regular use.

Finally, I'd grab solid handle as love the extra weight but then again the Timeless bronze I owned was extra heavy so there's that to consider and also be mindful that you'll most likely need wax to keep it looking nice as bronze can show tea stains and tarnish unless you enjoy the patina/antique look...? Just my 5c so I'm sure you'll make the right choice and more importantly be blessed with happy shaves!

^^^ so we have 18 posts and still not clear decision on which Wolfperson is best.

Just buy a vintage Fatboy or Slim adjustable and you have ALL bases covered ;)

I found the WR2 1.15 SB quite mild, and it now lives in Australia ('cos I sold it).
To be fair, as I get olderer (that's more than plain vanilla 'old') my skin is getting thinner.
I only run the Flexi on 6 (oh, wait...it only goes to 6)!
But yeah, I don't know if the WR2 1.15 would do the job for you @StratMan
Hey...buy a Flexi, job done and lots of $$ saved.