alfredus

Auctioneer-in-Chief + organises many group buys
Staff member
Site Moderator
State Convenor - SA
Grand Society
Group Buy Caporegime
Charity Auction Team
Today I used the second soap I got from the Barrister and Mann group buy - again I want to thank everybody at P&C and Will @Barrister & Mann for this great opportunity!

Barrister & Mann - Ferox (Seasonal Tallow Soap)

The Packaging
This soap has the same packaging as the Lime, Lavender & Cedarwood I already reviewed here:

http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/barrister-mann-lime-lavender-cedarwood.1657/

Nothing to add, except it is still perfect

The scent
This one was the most doubtful for me, when I ordered. I have had both posstitive (Stirling Witch Hazel) and negative (Mike's soap) encounters with Vetiver, as it can be very overpowering. No need to worry here - Will did another great job of getting a beautiful scent combination. At first only the Vetiver and the herb mixture come through, but as soon as water hits the soap, the Grapefruit rises to give a beautiful combination. There is also a slight Aniseed scent, which I assume is the Tea Tree Oil.

Load and Lather
Again nothing to add here - easy to load and very rapid build up of a fantastic lather

Glide
Another a perfect shave with wonderful glide from the soap.

Protection
This time I went a bit further - first I loaded more on the brush then I went on adding more and more water - tons of great lather was thee result and I don't think I saw the end of it. Will have to move to a larger brush, to see how far I can take this...

Conclusion

Another great soap from Will, the scent is very right for spring time - but works equally well on a beautiful sunny autumn day like today. The Tea Tree Oil adds a subtle cooling effect to the soap - similar to menthol. Although my face does not agree with menthol, the subtle amount of Tea Tree Oil seems to have no adverse effect. On the contrary, I have a beautiful post-shave feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rubbing salt into the wound ....

(great review though)

My second shave with Ferox today and my first B&M shave with a boar...I can talk on, but I think even this poor picture says it all - perfect performance!

Omega49_BMFeroxLatherS_zpsmpmd2ht1.jpg

Unfortunately a small downside today: the Tee Trea Oil came out a bit stronger during the second lather. And while it was still not unpleasant, it is getting close. I hope that was it - any stronger and my skin might rebel :(

Unfortunately a small downside today: the Tee Trea Oil came out a bit stronger during the second lather. And while it was still not unpleasant, it is getting close. I hope that was it - any stronger and my skin might rebel :(
Interesting... Tea Tree oil is known to be excellent for the skin. It has antiseptic properties and is used for the treatment of minor skin conditions. Aussie soldiers used to carry it in their kits.

I find it excellent for the skin and use it occasionally for minor skin complaints. It helps skin, not hurts it.

Unless it's the scent, it is not what's causing any skin problems. (Unless you are allergic to it which is unlikely, but not impossible in this day & age...)

That's very interesting for me to learn as well. I was referring to the cooling sensation on my skin - usually associated with menthol. With menthol I then get a burning sensation which, depending on the amount in the product, does not stop for hours. As I started getting this effect today, I was a bit worried. But it stopped after the shave, so I guess it is different. Time will tell I guess...

That's very interesting for me to learn as well. I was referring to the cooling sensation on my skin - usually associated with menthol. With menthol I then get a burning sensation which, depending on the amount in the product, does not stop for hours. As I started getting this effect today, I was a bit worried. But it stopped after the shave, so I guess it is different. Time will tell I guess...
I haven't yet tried Ferox (I have a sample courtesy of the ever-generous @Nonick) but Tea Tree oil/cream sometimes gives me a slight tingle that lasts only a little time and then fades. It's a different feeling to the menthol in intensity and duration. I guess see how it goes and watch what happens to your face.

Ferox was the only soap that potentially interested me

Ferox sounds perfect for those tropical Darwin mornings.

It's not tropical in the mornings at the moment!
19ºC (66ºF to the non-aussies) this am, which is very chilly for up here.

Aww, poor soul.
I'm still using heavily menthol spiked items and the mornings here are single digits.

Finally got to use the Ferox this morning.

My second review of my purchases in the recent Barrister & Mann Group Buy organised by @alfredus. My thanks to him and of course Will for stumping up the discounts.

This review is of the special release 'Ferox' scent. Decided to get it for the Tea Tree alone which I think is a vastly underused scent and ingredient in shaving soaps, and it's an Aussie Native!

Initial thoughts
Same plastic jar of high quality, and quality sticker with the normal labelling proudly calling it 'Ferox'. I have only one small complaint with the jars, and that is that they don't have the amazing height of the Soap Commander tubs but are wider so loading is no problem.

Normal beige-coloured soap this one, so back to normal programming after the brown Lavanille and the oxidised Rhapsody. Opening up the lid gives the unmistakable scent of Tea Tree, along with a light undertone of the grapefruit. I cannot make out much else on initial opening but the general impression is good.

I did lather this up on Saturday afternoon as per the Rhapsody and it has sat there since. I had no issues in getting a very nice lather out of this soap and the Smog 830 (which I haven't used in years). The water bought out the spice notes and also the vetiver much more. The soap after the two test lathers definitely has more tea tree happening, but everything else is more prominent. It's a nice scent, ideal spring soap so Will has nailed that completely.

Initial Shave
Tools: Fatboy, Vintage Wilkinson Sword Blade (8/9), Plissitane.

Normal preparation - shower with face scrub of the 'Man Towel' followed by L'Oreal Hydra Sensitive Cleanser. Added enough hot water to just cover the soap prior to shower.

Simply wet through the brush with hot water and shook out. Again, tilted the jar so the water was on the side, and slowly worked into the soap to get the crema into the knot and then slowly worked the water in. The Tea Tree immediately hits my nose followed by the Vetiver to tone it down quite substantially. Everything else is there too, rosemary & grapefruit... yeah this is really nice.

As for the actual lather, I think I got an 11/10 this morning. The lather was slicker than a dodgy used car salesman trying to offload a rebirthed statutory write-off. First pass was magic, the second pass I started to experiment and did an entire pass of blade-buffing. The Spoiler - which is now definitely past it's prime - had zero lubrication problems at all. I was kind of in shock as I worked the razor around my face. Rinsed off with hot water and the tea tree gave that 'kinda mentholish' cooling after without the normal burn you get with the menthol. Nice. Skin was well moisturised and no need for any post-shave.

The other half was not around to smell me after but I got some nice clean whiffs during the morning of the Tea Tree and herbals which was rather nice and refreshing. A very well constructed scent this one.

Conclusion
I reckon most of us Aussies would love this. A top performer with a really nice and fresh yet uncomplicated scent which almost gives you a feel of the Aussie bush. Almost - but not quite. And now 14 hours after the shave, my cheeks are still near-as BBS, while my jawline has some stubble it would be much less than normal.

I love these soaps. A creams guy cannot give a higher recommendation than to say that as long as Will makes them, I will buy them and have them in the rotation. I am certain now that you could buy any one of the following and be reasonably happy on scent and blown away by performance:
  • Latha
  • Seville
  • Cheshire
  • Ferox
I am hoping to have some extra Latha units available in the Sydney consolidated order. This will mean new members wanting to try one can get direct from me at actual cost price.

I am hoping to have some extra Latha units available in the Sydney consolidated order. This will mean new members wanting to try one can get direct from me at actual cost price.
Now that's a top offer right there!!! Great work @Monsta_AU [emoji106]

That is an excellent idea Monsta

What about old members who use up their supply? :sneaky:

That is an excellent idea Monsta

What about old members who use up their supply? :sneaky:

I'd prefer to hold it only for new members wanting to try out some B&M product. It's still not going to be as cheap as in the group buy but it will be cheaper than ordering the one tub direct I should think.