Review Barrister & Mann "Vetyver Santal Tallow"

JayDee

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to go slightly against all the rave reviews for the B&M soaps we all recently received. Don't get me wrong, it's a great soap, lathers as good as (but no better) than any other soap I own but to me, the marketing hype doesn't quite live up to reality. To quote from their website:

"Vetiver has an undeserved reputation as a dark, earthy, dirty wood smell, like being smacked in the face with a mud pie. But many of the great masterpieces of vetiver perfumery employ methods to lighten and brighten the note and Barrister & Mann decided to try our hand at the same trick.
We blended a healthy dose of lemon essential oil with Haitian vetiver and elegant, creamy New Caledonia sandalwood absolute to create a light, clean, fresh vetiver scent well-suited to cooler weather. Refined and gentlemanly, Vetyver Santal harkens back to classic fragrances from the Golden Age."

Well I certainly got the mud and especially the lemon scents when opening the lid. I was hoping that the sandalwood would come out when I lathered up. Sorry, no sandalwood, at least to my nose. Oh well, can't have everything, even the things you are sometimes promised. As a tallow based soap it performed as I expected, that is, a lovely creamy full lather with very little effort. Shaving with it was a delight, no complaints there.

I'm a big sandalwood fan so to not get any sandalwood scent with a soap that sort of promised it was a slight let down. I'm also a big tallow fan and it did not disappoint there but what it did point out to me is that a GOOD non tallow based soap like the Shaver Heaven range is every bit as good for considerably less money. YMMV of course but to me it there is a split hair between B&M and Shaver Heaven with my recently acquired tub of Soap Commander running a close but definite third.

Nice review!

So I think we all agree that it works well. The scent and price might be the distinguishing features...

Performance wise, I fired up the Vie Long 13710 and got an excellent lather from it and the B&M Rhapsody this morning. Certainly a step down on the Plissitane yet still better than most lathers I can generate - especially with creams. The quality of these soaps certainly have an impact on that. And while I would agree with your assertion that Soap Commander performance is 'a definite third', I would proffer my opinion that all of these products are simply so good in relation to the 'big brands' that they all rate a consistent 9+ out of 10 for performance. We are being seriously spoilt by B&M, SC and the like where we get our hands on the product and it blows away the 'big shaving name brands such as TOBS, GFT, DRH, CF and so on.

I know Will is slammed right now (Fougeres and Velvet released overnight) so it will take a while for him to come in and respond. I will let you know that I HATED the Rhapsody on first opening, but yesterday I took two lathers off the top of the soap and rinsed it off & capped it. The scent difference today is night and day - it seems that some scents rise up to the top of the soap and you need to scrape it off. In this case I think you are right in the Vetiver and Lemon would be the two scents to rise to surface of the soap.

Keep going with it, it will change with use as your brush takes away the top layers. I am hopeful it will expose the sandalwood notes below and your nose will appreciate it more.

Last edited:
@Monsta_AU I'll give that a try, thanks for the tip. Also, you misquoted me slightly, I said SC was a "close but definite" third, not a "distant" third :) I still think SC is also a really good soap. Spoiled for choice... Oh dear, first world problems!!

Yeah, too many D words! All fixed.

But yes, I think the same as you, SC is an amazing soap for a vegan formulation and it craps all over a number of other big brands. The scents that I have are okay & amazingly good in the SC... It however cannot hold a candle to the B&M soaps in the tallow bases. I haven't tried the Shaver Heaven soaps yet but will do so soon enough.

Scent is a really personal thing, so not everyone is going to love it. You can however rely on the performance of the soap which is never in question. Just keep going with it, and give it a chance to come out of its shell. I think most products deserve at least 5-6 goes unless it is slicing you to pieces or causing some sort of reaction.