Blade forward razors riding safety bar/comb

Holiday

from Lanolin
Grand Society
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Google search “DE safety razor angle” and you will get a wealth of knowledge regarding how to shave and the correct angles. Some even explain whether the angle of the handle, head or blade

Using the #15 Aristocrat this week I realised why I like the blade forward razors (Apollo, Game Changer, Lupo) because I start my shave with the handle straight down and safety bar or comb against side burns to trim the sideburns on first WTG stroke and roll the razor up until I feel the blade grab. Most of these blade forward razors and the Aristocrat do not have to be rolled up very high before I hit the blade and therefore the angle is shallow which means when shaving under the jawline and down the neck, I can maintain a shallow angle and get into the trouble spots without need for buffing.

Aggressive razors not so because I have to ride the cap which makes it more difficult to get in under the jawline without buffing and causing irritation

This is my experience and I am sure many of you will disagree or have other experiences. Noting I shave 2 x WTG with some XTG or Gillette Slide on 2nd pass. It was just a bit of a revelation with the #15 this week and realising why I prefer certain razors

Like to hear other P&C member views and experience?

Riding Cap or SB/OC
Mild or Aggressive razor
WTG/XTG/ATG combination
Buffing required?

BTW if I paid attention to the Google searches apparently I am doing it wrong and should be starting on the cap and rolling down, keeping a steeper angle

My experiences are dependent on razor but usually involve riding the cap especially with the r41. I find this smooths the shave considerably.
Except the wr2 for some reason riding the cap gives me weepers especially ATG, but when I ride the bar with a very steep angle I am rewarded with a very smooth and blood free shave.

tried this with lupo 72 and hated it, now shave with riding the cap and it’s a pleasure to shave with

the roccas don’t care either way

If I am forced to ride the cap with a razor due to lack of smoothness and efficiency from not being able to obtain from a steeper angle, then that razor is not for me. Most of the time for myself it's milder razors that are the ones that are the culprits although there are a few exceptions.

@Holiday I share your blade forward taste in razors (Apollo, GC 84, Lupo SS 95, Blackbird, Karve 'SB-F', CG Lvl2 etc ) and employ a very similar technique, starting at the sideburns and working my way down WTG. I tend to to use buffing type strokes rather than long, but occasionally employ the Gillette slide. I never really think about angles much but have gravitated to a bunch of razors that make it easy to find the correct angle without a protractor. Thanks for the explanation.