Can you get any reasonable soaps/creams from Australian supermarkets?

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Hi all,

While I have my TOBS sandalwood on the way, I was wondering if Woolworths or Coles tend to stock anything that is worth buying?

As I'm new to shaving with DE, I'd probably be looking at creams more than soaps for the moment.

You can get Tabac soap or cream from most chemists. That's miles better than any supermarket stuff.
There is not really anything worthwhile in a supermarket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would scour some barber shops and see if anyone has any Proraso cream.

Nothing to recommend in supermarkets.

Surely someone around here thinks the Fauldings cream in the tube is okay :p

Thanks for the replies. Was just curious as I have never really paid attention to what lurks in the shaving sections of supermarkets before.

So I gather most of you guys just order online then?

Surely someone around here thinks the Fauldings cream in the tube is okay :p

I can confidently say you get your $3 worth...

I buy most stuff online - ether locally from Mensbiz or various OS. Proraso I can get locally at various places around perth.

They stock Proraso (the old menthol stuff) in Stirling IGA. Other than that you can get Tabac cream in a few big chemists. Never seen Tabac soap in any so far (who stocks that in Perth, Jug? I'm gonna need some in the future). Tabac cream is really good stuff by the way.

I saw some Tabac soap in a chemist in Swan View on Morrison Road. This was around eight months ago.

It's a long hike for you to come this far east mate, I will check it out next time I am there and if they have some I will grab it for you.

I saw some Tabac soap in a chemist in Swan View on Morrison Road. This was around eight months ago.

Are you sure it was the shaving soap Juggie? I made an error early on and bought a Tabac shower soap at a chemist :embarrest:

I reckon the palmolive cream is "OK" from the supermarket. I add it to my Godrej more often than not as it adds a nice cushion. By itself it struggles a bit as it collapses by the time it gets slick enough.

Good point. I thought it was the shaving soap but may have been just "soap" which I guess is shower soap. Have to have another look.

Only stuff I can find so far in England is the "Euro Palmolive" shave stick. Don't like it too much myself but will happily get a stick or two for people that do.

Just go and enjoy your holiday mate, don't worry about this bunch of reprobates.

I know it is meant to be a good soap, but if the UK Palmolive smells anything like the Aus one, it really isn't worth it.

Only stuff I can find so far in England is the "Euro Palmolive" shave stick. Don't like it too much myself but will happily get a stick or two for people that do.

The Gut 2,2 or a different one Pjotr.

I'll take a couple if it is the gut 2,2 labelled and appropriately priced.

I sent a load of that out as pifs last year. The silence was deafening...

Got to say that I am not a fan of it at all. Scent was okay, but La Toja just wipes the floor with it in performance stakes.

I even tried grating it into a bowl, but it just didn't have the 'go' in it. I'd gladly use Arko stick daily than Palmolive Stick of any kind.

I find it needs an absolute assload of water RM. Really needs a bit to get past the merengue stage and then I reckon it's darn good.

YMMV as they say YKW!