Changing With The Seasons

Glen

Does anyone change their scents as the seasons change? I was thinking that summer might be nice for fruity scents like lime and heavier ones for winter.

Your on the ball Glen.

Barrister and Mann would release seasonal scents each quarter though they've stopped now.

Winter was always spices, warming, peppers, heavy Vetivert etc. summer was citrus and mentholated or florals in spring etc.

I just ordered mikes lime for summer, a dry citrus hopefully.

Only problem is most artisan soap makers are the opposite of our season here. Luckily your unlikely to use all a soap by the next season.

Pretty standard thing. The heavier scents I just cannot deal with in summer, just too cloying. So the B&M Dickens (used this morning) and Lavanille and similar products will be consigned to the back of the cabinet until next April/May.

Many of us move to Proraso Green, Da Fat, etc in Summer.

Only problem is most artisan soap makers are the opposite of our season here. Luckily your unlikely to use all a soap by the next season.

You just have to buy it as it comes out, and then use it 6 months later.

Yeah Tabac in the height of Summer feels like walking barefoot on 50 degree bitumen.

Pretty standard thing. The heavier scents I just cannot deal with in summer, just too cloying. So the B&M Dickens (used this morning) and Lavanille and similar products will be consigned to the back of the cabinet until next April/May.
That confirms why B&M Dickens didn't suit Darwin at all.

I'm desperately trying to finish my Dapper Dragon Signature soap before the buildup hits. Not looking good though, the temperature only dropped to 27 in babyberts room overnight last night.

Yes, soaps like Proraso Green, Mikes Peppermint, citrus and other mentholated soaps move to the top shelf. Same with aftershaves.

Warm scents like Bay Rums go to the bottom.

How's the jaberman Lima incensio going egg?

Your the best test dummy for summer - what's your favorite summer or mentholated soaps?

There's not much of the Lima incensio left mate, however a little lasts a hell of a long time with that gel soap whatever you want to call it. I dab the tiniest amount on to the tippiest tips of a brush, and easily get a 3 pass lather.

That would be in my top two, with Stirling Glacial Obsidian just shading top position. For cooling, I would say yeti snot comes 3rd, but it is not quite on the same level of quality as the others.
Proraso is still a summer favourite, even if it doesn't offer the same level of cooling effect as some of the above. Ingram's is a step lower still than Proraso , but much better than the real cheapo creams I have tried, Godrej menthol mist and arko cool menthol. Godrej works well enough, but has an odd chemical smell to it, and arko is, just, well, it's arko and I'm not allowed to say anything nice about it. Ok, the lather was good, but there is no menthol that I could discern, and the scent wasn't great (better than the normal stick but still not great)

Mystic Water Soaps Lemongrass & Blue Gum Menthol and Nanny's Ice and a slice both had a lovely scent ( lighter on the menthol hit), but I found them to be difficult soaps to lather compared to the others I have tried.
@nav1 bought the MWS soap from me, and reported that he had no such problems with getting a good lather out of it, so maybe that was a technique issue for me.

I think I had a sample of the Queen Charlotte Soaps Iced Key Lime from you, but I wonder if there was some mistake with labelling somewhere down the line as I noticed no cooling effect on that at all.

There are still a lot of mentholated soaps out there that I have not yet tried, hopefully I will get a few additions soon.

I'm keeping my eye out for group buys of Dr Jon's (Arctic Hydra), Stirling (Glacial line), QCS, Chiselled Face (Cryogen) - but also looking at other summer scented soaps that I may be able to supercharge with menthol (once I work out how @borked does it).

Last edited:
Great info egg, I'm looking at menthol soaps

Thinking about getting some more jaberman. The Lima incensio was better than I realised at the time. Also Stirling orange chill looks interesting.

Mentholated group buy anyone? [emoji3]

Anyone tried Valobra menthol for Summer,Shaver Hut have it on sale

I haven't but I notice it's menthol 'scented' and can't spot menthol in the ingredients, but could be wrong

I'll definitely be in for some more Jabonmans. and at least one of the glacial stirling soaps (and maybe one of their synth brushes)

I'll definitely be in for some more Jabonmans. and at least one of the glacial stirling soaps (and maybe one of their synth brushes)
I know @Nightguard would be interested in some Jabonman soap and so too potentially @PossomBelly

If you're after mentholated, the Jabonman aftershave milk has a decent whack of menthol to it and absorbs quickly. I know @borked had some so he could chip in with his opinions on it.

If there's to be a group buy, I could certainly be persuaded to go in (or even lead the charge...). [emoji6]

I'm not really in a position to organise a jabonman group buy, but I'd sure be in if the boat got going.

Filobiblic would you do the honours again if it gained viability? You did a stellar job last time.

Another option is a large order from Maggards' artisan boutique.

We're also looking at cutting down 70% of our current line up so we will have a select range that will be offered all year round, and will be releasing seasonal soaps as well as "limited" releases throughout the year.

We're finding (particularly in wholesale orders) that the majority of the market is seasonal, so you'll find certain scents that we can't sell all year round, but soon as the colder seasons hit, you'll see a jump in those such as "Spiced Pumpkin", "Maple Sugar" and others. While in Warmer months is lighter scents which take off more than the others.

Personally I use any scented soap all year round. I usually tend to leave anything with Menthol in it for the warmer days however.

We're finding (particularly in wholesale orders) that the majority of the market is seasonal, so you'll find certain scents that we can't sell all year round, but soon as the colder seasons hit, you'll see a jump in those such as "Spiced Pumpkin", "Maple Sugar" and others. While in Warmer months is lighter scents which take off more than the others.
Does the "majority of the market" happen to be in the Northern Hemisphere? If so, wouldn't the seasons be reversed and how do you plan to work around that with your seasonal released soaps? Our Summer will be the Northern Hemisphere Winter - completely different scent releases, right?