Cleaning of gear

shaver_joe

Just want to know how do you guys clean everything properly to ensure everything stay in tip top condition? Do you pull apart your DE razor for it dry properly? Do you hang your brush? Any helpful advise from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Clean my DEs with toothpaste and an old toothbrush. Only use 2 and 3 piece razors, so easy as.

Never hang my brush because it doesn't make any difference to how long it takes to dry. And given the way they're all made, water cannot get into the knot when left on its handle. That's how they're designed to work.

A good wash with borax once a year will get any soap scum out. You can do it more often if you use less brushes. I use synths a lot and they don't seem to collect any soap residue.

Just want to know how do you guys clean everything properly to ensure everything stay in tip top condition? Do you pull apart your DE razor for it dry properly? Do you hang your brush? Any helpful advise from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

As @Drubbing said: use toothpaste and brush every now and then for the razor. And a highly diluted vinegar:water solution and then shampoo for your brush every now and then. Not too much needed.

For my daily routine:
For the razor, I usually loosen and blow out any excess water from the razor before drying gently on a towel and letting it air dry between uses. After I use a blade, I would clean it.

For the brush, I rinse thoroughly at the end of the shave, wipe it on a towel and then air dry (on its base) in a separate room that gets plenty of air. After a day I return it to the cupboard.

Gumption anti bacterial and toothbrush to clean the scum off every now and again.
Bi-carb soda and hot bath soak, followed by a different toothbrush less frequently.
If I'm seeking a shine, I water down the Gumption and use a cloth.
Regular maintainence is a good rinse after use, blowing excess water off razor and blade, and leaving loose on the north facing window.

Brushes get a conditioner rinsed through with warm water and left to dry for a few days minimum upon a north facing window sill, after flicking excess water and towel drying them, then a coarse and fine comb are ran through them, along with the previous few days brushes that were used.
Regular rotation are rinsed of soap residue, flicked until damp, towel dried and then a quick coarse and fine comb ran through them.

Soaps get rinsed off after use, sealed if they've a lid with whatever water is left after drained of excess water.

After each shave I remove the blade and do a good hot rinse and dry wipe. A three piece I disassemble, and a TTO I use a can of compressed air to blow the water out around the moving parts and down the pipe. Once a month I do a good soft scrubbing with Dawn dish soap. It's unnecessary and anal I know but I'm retired so I have time to fart around and pamper the herd.