DIY soap

glenos

.. is a GRANDPA now!
2018 Sabbatical
2015 Sabbatical
Hi,
I haven't been around lately, uni, work, holidays and kids have been keeping me occupied. Anywhoo, I have finished studying for now and am looking for something to keep me busy I thought I might try my hand at making some shave soaps. Has anyone tried it, got a good recipe or flavour suggestions? The plan is to try a few small batches and share it round here to see if you think I have done something special.

I have made soap once bfore using some apricot kernal oil that I had pressed, came out kind of brown smelled a bit funny and was too soft.

Hello, John from the US. My new favorite is Dragon's Blood. Find it a great scent in the mornings.

Johnus,

Well I do look forward to hearing how it all goes - I looked into it a while back but decided for shaving soaps it's a situation where unless you're a genius or incredibly lucky you're going to have to do multiple batches before you get something decent.

And I dunno about you but soaps take AGES to get through.....I guess you could always just use the dud runs as normal soap. It does get kinda costly too as a lot of the oils that work best in shaving soaps are a lil pricey or hard to get.

Also the processes are just as hard whether you're doing a tiny batch or a big one - I assume you'd go proper cold processed not the nasty heat and pour junk.

There's quite a few shaving soap recipes on the soap making websites, but apparently soap makers are a VERY secretive bunch who hate to share their best recipes with others.

I do think there's some rationale to making normal bath soap - as generally you can use more cost effective oils that don't work well in shaving soaps e.g olive - and its something most households go through at a greater rate of knots. Plus if you look into soap making you'll see most shop bought stuff is really nasty, full of SLS - so home made stuff is much better and far more cost effective than the cheapest boutique made stuff. Plus really its meant to be quite simple for standard soap.

Anyway love to hear how you get on. Best of luck.

Do a Guinness one!!!!

I was thinking about hops flavoured soap, you might end up smelling a bit like pot. Hops smells awefully similar to pot when it is in the oven at work.

Here is a recipe I can start working wit, http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.a...orials-recipes/cold-process-shaving-soap.html I already have some NaOH and bentonite.

I have also been meaning to get some of this to try, but most of their stuff is full of lavender and stinks to high heaven, http://www.beebeauty.com/for-men/men-s-shave-soap

Last edited:
Be careful with the NaOH. Last Lye soap I made I jumped the gun and didn't let it 'cure' long enough. Found out when I didn't wear gloves and it started to eat my hands away when I was cutting it into squares. Even though its mixed, the lye forms droplets in the soap that need to be absorbed and changed into what ever its chged into.

It's the old saying: ..."it'll take the hide right off of you!" They meant it.

Last edited:
Just saw this thread.

I have a good friend who makes all sorts of things from scratch. Makes a particularly good stout.
Recently, he made me some shaving soap. Main ingredient = bacon lard.

Haven't tried it yet as is still curing, but it will be an interesting experience :)

Used Beef Suet for mine. The nice thing is that it smells like Prime Rib when you render it. Does awaken your appetite !

Recently, he made me some shaving soap. Main ingredient = bacon lard.

Haven't tried it yet as is still curing, but it will be an interesting experience :)

Well if you shave, go down town afterwards and after walking around for a while look behind you and find a horde of 'plus size' women following you it'll be obvious why! Big gals dig that ye olde pork soap aroma.

Well if you shave, go down town afterwards and after walking around for a while look behind you and find a horde of 'plus size' women following you it'll be obvious why! Big gals dig that ye olde pork soap aroma.

Haha, I somehow missed this post Nick. I haven't tried the soap yet but I'll be sure to post back on the results (including whether or nor I become a 'pied piper' of sorts!).

there has been quite a bit of traffic about this on other fora lately. I'm not sure what the rules are for linking to them, so I'll summarize.

making very good shave soap at home is EASY.

a smart guy reverse engineered Martin de Candre, and modified the formula to make it a little easier to make at home.

the ingredients are stearic acid, coconut oil, water and potassium hydroxide. I used stearic 55%, coconut 45%.

it works better than any other shave soap I have tried previously.

use soapcalc to get the quantities right- and measure as accurately as you can.

a word of caution- potassium hydroxide is lye. it will burn you if it gets on your skin. (more accurately, it will try to convert all of the oils in your skin into soap. there isn't enough oil in your skin, so it attacks the rest of your skin...) when it is mixed with water it reacts, and the fumes are dangerous to breathe (trying to make your lungs into soap...). add the lye to the water, and slowly. if you add the water to the lye, it will react rapidly and violently, and probably splash out and get on you (see the bit about lye and skin).

make it hot process using a crockpot. do not use metal containers or implements for this process. put the stearic and coconut into the crockpot and melt them together. I got impatient and melted them in the microwave first. put the water in a heat resistant container- I used a coffeemaker carafe from the thrift store. add the potassium hydroxide slowly, letting it react and dissolve into the water. do this outdoors. add that mix to the oils, mixing vigorously. let it cook for a couple of hours, then scoop it out into a mug or bowl or mold or whatever you want. MdC uses a jar, although sometimes they do a special run and put it into a wooden bowl. let it cure for a few days to a few weeks. it is ready to use as soon as it solidifies, but it handles a bit better with some aging. it will never get as hard as a commercial bath soap, but doesn't need to, as you are not handling it like a bar of soap. after a couple of weeks mine is about the consistency of stiff putty- I can still dig it out of the mold with my fingers and press it into the soap bowl. it also has an odd soapy smell which fades with aging. you can scent it with whatever essential oils or fragrance oils you want. include the amount of essential oils or fragrance oils in soapcalc, but add them last thing, after it has cooled off, but before it is too stiff to mix.

some things to not put in your shave soap:
any oil high in oleic acid- ie olive oil.
clay. dries the skin and dulls your razor.
abrasive bits of stuff as exfoliant: ground up oatmeal, walnut shells, whatever. the razor does a great job exfoliating your skin as is, and bits of junk get between the razor and your skin and do nothing but mischief.

I've been following the DIY attempts elsewhere too, it's quite impressive. It looks like it would be a pretty simple 'recipe' for a beginner, few base ingredients and lots of potential for tinkering. Looks like you could fill a bathtub with homemade soap for about the same price as a jar of real MdC too.

Got some pics of your efforts mate?

Haha, I somehow missed this post Nick. I haven't tried the soap yet but I'll be sure to post back on the results (including whether or nor I become a 'pied piper' of sorts!).

I never did report back with the results of this.

Long story short- it didn't work very well. Took a lot of effort to make the smallest amount of lather, and it was far from thick and creamy. My friend thinks he knows where he went wrong during the process of making it, so there may be a version 2.0 for me to try at some point.

No plus sized women following me around either.

Looks good! Have you had a go with it yet?

I've shaved with it 3 or 4 times now. I'm very happy with it. I'll be passing around a few samples looking for feedback, but so far so good.

I have an idea for another ingredient or two. some more test batches will be forthcoming. I'm starting to think about scents, also.