Do aftershaves go off?

Spawnless

Hi all,

Was just reading a for sale post where another member has posted a website that allows you to identify date of manufacture.

My question is Do A/S's "go off" and if they do, what does that actually entail?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

My wife purchased a bottle of Fahrenheit for me about 15 years ago. I stopped using it after reading a blurb in a magazine that aftershaves were no good for your skin. She decided to put in the in fridge where it was forgotten for over a decade. It was invisible to me until a couple of months ago. Gave it a bit of a sniff and it smelled really good so I splashed it on. Got a couple of compliments that day so I guess it was still fine.

I hope they last because I have a couple of decades worth in the cupboard!

Avoiding light is the best way to keep them long term.

I've had a bottle of Tabac in the back of the cupboard for 6 years. Still smells like Tabac. Father in law died a few years ago and his aftershaves were cleared out. Had a bottle of Paco Rabanne there, must have been there from the 80s. Smelled fine.

I've A/S, Cologne, Parfume that would predate almost every member here.
They do tend to lose their top notes with age, yet preventing oxidisation (good seal) and temperature/humidity extremes/fluctuations, along with limiting light will preserve them far longer than one that's left in the glovebox of your car.
A bit of due diligence is the key here :)

BTWm, I'm glad that link has been of use already :)

No idea about AS, I have a bottle of Safari Cologne I bought in 1993. There isn't much left but as far as I am concerned it still smells the same as the day I bought it. Still, that was a long time ago so who knows!!! It's been sitting out on my shelf the whole time. No sun, but indirect sun & light bulbs for sure. Some folks seem to get precious about keeping it in glass bottles... plastic might have an effect over time.