Do Synthetic Shave Brushes dry any quicker than Badger Brushes??

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
I would love to see your own opinion and feedback from your OWN brush from this YouTube below.

Synthetic brushes do dry out completely less than 6 hours for one brush, and if you only used one synthetic brush for everyday use is not a major issue.

I have 4 different handles of Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger for EACH rotation during my shaves.

Last edited:
To be honest, I've never taken much notice to the drying times between Badger and Synthetic and really don't worry about it as both are dry within 24 hours of using.

Having said that, I find Boar Bristle to take twice as long again to dry as the Badger and Synthetic brushes.

Boar bristles absorb water, so yes, they take longer to dry, but how many forum users have just one brush? I seldom, if ever, use a brush twice a month.

It's funny you say that because I thought the exact same thing as you, so really, the length of drying time is moot for most of us.

I have a synthetic for travel as it does seem to dry quicker IMHO.

When packing away and travelling this is great.

I only take a synth when I travel so that I know it will be dry the next day. But at home, I don't think I've ever used the same brush on consecutive days. It's always in a rotation.

All depends on the size and composition of your knot: a 26mm Tuxedo can be dry in less than a couple of hours, a 30mm Snow Leopard maybe 3 or 4. And that's without needing to hang them upside-down.

To be honest, I've never taken much notice to the drying times between Badger and Synthetic and really don't worry about it as both are dry within 24 hours of using.

Having said that, I find Boar Bristle to take twice as long again to dry as the Badger and Synthetic brushes.

I've got Badger, Boar and Synth burshes.. Boar will always be my favourite for the lather I get from it. They have the best backbone for me.

Can def agree that the Boar takes the longest to dry, followed by Badger then Synth for being the quickest that I've noticed.

o_O Cashmere?!!! Stick to boar, leave that soft girly stuff for @SpeedyPC. 😁
giphy.gif

I tend to give my brushes a good shake and quick pass over a dry towel to get rid of the excess water prior to leaving to rest or upside down on a brush holder:

Synths tend to dry under 24hrs (overnight)
Badger 24-48 hrs depending on the hair type as denser knots takelonger
Boar take a few days as super absorbent

I rarely use a natural haired brush on consecutive days to avoid any potential for spoilage yet synths can be used a few days with little issue.

A lot depends on the size and density of the knots in question but if things are relatively equal, synthetic dries fastest, then badger and then boar. My badgers have been fairly big and dense, which pushes their drying times closer to boars. Small badgers don't make sense to me. I've never had a boar that isn't dry in 48 hours though - even in winter with a big knot like an Omega 48.

Boars are also my favourite for shaving with - particularly banded Omega boars. Soft, split tips with good backbone at a decent loft - a great combination that is hard to beat. Loft is under-rated as a means for developing a good lather. I get why people like badgers but I find them too be too much of a lather hog at the (larger) sizes and dimensions I like. The face feel isn't really for me either but I still keep one just for the variety.

The main problem for boars is the fact the brush doesn't last all that long and will start to shed. Given the price, it's not a huge problem but I'm also really liking my Yaqi rainbow pony 26mm synthetic. If I could only have one brush (!), it would probably be my pick just on sheer practicality, particularly for the price - I just can't really fault it.

Although it's nice having my 30mm Yaqi for when I want to get through a few soaps...! It certainly generates an abundance of lather....

Although it's nice having my 30mm Yaqi for when I want to get through a few soaps...! It certainly generates an abundance of lather....

I ended up giving my 30mm Yaqi to my wife. It was far to big for me but she loves it for shaving her legs.

Before falling down the P&C rabbit warren I had a single boar for 3.5 years used daily, squeezed out, dried on the towel, and hung upside down.
May not have been bone dry between shaves but never had any problems with mold or bacteria.
What is the concern other than SWMBO needs to think I need a different brush every day ;)

I've always held the opinion that synthetic doesn't absorb moisture, unlike natural fibres.
A good rinse and flick of the bristles and left in a wet ventilated space and it dries quickly.
With natural fibres, I've used a towel for a few quick passes in different directions and note that it does a good job of pulling excess moisture from the natural fibres after you're no longer able to flick out droplets.