Does anything beat a Slim?

JayDee

OK, it's been nearly 24 hours with no posts on this forum, so I thought I might throw out a line and see who bites! :p So far in my albeit short DE shaving experience I've tried the following razors:

1. Weishi. A Superspeed knockoff that makes a good intro razor but best described as a "Walk on the Mild Side"..
2. A Red Tip. To me, it's a non-adjustable fat boy. AFAIK, it has the same head as a fat boy. Works great (for me) with blades like an Astra SP but is a bit aggressive with the top shelf blades like a Spoiler or a Schick PP.
3. The Slim. Works with everything I throw at it. Just twist the dial to suit the blade. For me, modern blades at 7 or vintage blades at 5 pretty much guarantee a DFS.

I doubt I'd ever get a fat boy as I've tried the head (on the Red Tip) and prefer the Slim head. So are there any modern razors such as the Futur,etc, that puts the venerable Slim in the shade?

... So are there any modern razors such as the Futur,etc, that puts the venerable Slim in the shade?

NO!

Said confidentialy, emphatically and out of complete ignorance as I've not used a modern adjustable.

Basically the world reached its peak in 1966 and it has been downhill since ...

So what you are saying is that you haven't improved the world in any measurable way?

. So are there any modern razors such as the Futur,etc, that puts the venerable Slim in the shade?

I beleive I have stated before that the Slim was , is and always will be the epitome of the DE razor craftsmans art. It is after all the only DE razor I will use as a second razor during TM shaving. Basically there are two types of wet shavers in the world - The Slim Users and all the rest of the sad bastards out there.

It's not a bad razor. It's easy to use and gives a pleasant shave. Do I like it better than the Futur? ~~~ it is smaller; and easier to use. Shave quality? About the same with the Gillette ahead.

.......Sent from my honeymoon with the slim.

That's dedication. He's just married his razor. Or his new bride is really fit!

Personally have never tried a Slim. Have tried a Long Handled Super with limited satisfaction. Nothing beats my seriously humble three piece bakelite jobbies. I say they're bakelite but they might even be just plastic for all I know. Really light, so there's nothing between your fingers and the blade. You've got complete control. I'm now finding a Tech to be really heavy and cumbersome!

15-0 to eggbert :D But give the guy a break, it's hard to improve the world when you're stuck in the Democratic Peoples Republic of Canberra....

Very appropriate. The seat of our very own unmarried, aetheist, childless leader. Sounds like North Korea to me.

Very appropriate. The seat of our very own unmarried, aetheist, childless leader. Sounds like North Korea to me.

Except we just threaten funding cuts not a nuclear war!

Very appropriate though - I do call this town the Peoples Republic of Canberra.

We have a human rights complaint jail BTW

Off to NZ to clean them out of razors tomorrow - not sure how much I will be in touch - take care guys!

Have fun, and leave a few razors for the natives

The Slim is certainly good, no question about that. I've not tried any modern adjustables so can't really compare.

Probably the only negative I could say (and this applies to any adjustable, not just the Slim) is that more moving parts = more to go wrong. All things being equal, I'd expect a non-adjustable razor to have a longer life than an adjustable one. Then again, given the age of the Slims and Fatboys that many are using to this day it probably isn't a huge deal.

I'm going to sell my Slim soon. Maybe even my Fatboy as well. Why? Because neither of them do anything my Merkur 34C doesn't do the same or better.

I'll start running so the mob doesn't catch me...

I'm going to sell my Slim soon. Maybe even my Fatboy as well. Why? Because neither of them do anything my Merkur 34C doesn't do the same or better.

I'll start running so the mob doesn't catch me...

Hmm I guess every group of people must contain one uncultured philistine and Mong wins the award for this board. Although I have heard rumours that there is another long time member who feels the same way. But he also hates other things that I best not mention as he posesses a very itchy moderator finger.

So what you are saying is that you haven't improved the world in any measurable way?

No he is saying that despite all of his awesome powers and razor collecting/restoration abilities the world as still gone backwards.

I don't have an opinion on the Slim, I have never seen one.

I don't have an opinion on the Slim, I have never seen one.

You poor soul. You have missed out on the greatest expression of the razormakers art (despite what Philistine Mong might say).
Mortgage the house, sell the children raise the cash anyway you can but get on Ebay and find yourself a Slim. If you are short you will grow, if you are fat the weight will fall off, if you are single women will swoon at your feet, should you be married she will meet you each day after work with your favourite drink and promises of more.
That my friend is what a Slim will do for you (well maybe a slight exageration but it does give a really good shave).

Hmm I guess every group of people must contain one uncultured philistine and Mong wins the award for this board..............

Wrong...I was an uncultured philistine way before Mong and no, I don't have a Slim and no, I don't particularly aspire to owning one.

Last edited:
+1.
Although I do now have a fat boy just so that I can say I have tried an adjustable.

... should you be married she will meet you each day after work with your favourite drink and promises of more.
That my friend is what a Slim will do for you (well maybe a slight exageration but it does give a really good shave).

All that they are only about $50-$100. There is some bloke on ebay from Canada and he has 5 for sale, no wonder he probaly cannot walk let alone have the strength to shave.