Does SR shaving improve your "safety" razor shaving skills?

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Only real men shave with "safety" razors. I have always had a morbid fear of shaving when I can't see the blade's edge on my skin.

So, the question is, do you find that shaving with a straight razor improve your "safety" razor shaving skills?

Yes, but sort of... I'd shaved with a DE for 20-odd years before picking up a straight, and it did improve my DE shaves but that may just been because it (re)introduced mindfulness to the shave. Over those decades, like most cartridge shavers, I'd switched to autopilot. So, a guarded yes.

The other undisputable impact has been making me realise how sub standard DE razors are, by design. Getting under the nose, into the neck hollows, and other crevices in an old, lined face is hampered—not helped—by the head of a DE. With a straight, you have much more latitude and flexibility with angles, grips and parts of the blade. All my DE shaves are vaguley unsatisfying now... :p

I have been thinking of this exact question lately and have to say yes, absolutely.. the SR is teaching me all about pressure and touch and you learn quick cos one mistake will cost you

so i reckon having a blade without guard rails helps you align the correct angle of the DE for an even better shave with the DE, add an awesome razor like the BB or WR2 and you get quite superior shaves with a DE than a SR, although that last comment could be due to my low SR skill levels