DOTD! What are y'all drinking on today.

iHWXfPu.jpg
Show off! Lol I'm on way over with a glass

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye (a mouthful in every way)

TuBNhyPctPl9LEy9jGdANblKxQs82j7EQ33JSMlSwmoCNe5-tlHAXjBbxxHmWn468LrUl3UqnlYvpVH_Ml2S96eft7hCGan0BL44wb0V0asouQ6G0fUuTSoyyf8DriLz1Xrbl8jhxNFVm668PfNn9sjDCwPh683_iw-H_llrWAKel85Pj_ABX2DRSTdP037U_6BZzcndloUASCgPXYvkdlXpjYlnL3MLvzXhbb_sP7fAG3EWTdIRmqnvi_LbUqYsKxTiYne8kF8Sgpsvyb-CRyiKPzjRAkYpmw6Uyn-SOaAcSpY2SgwRAYL5av2tdCk4WkYUGO0c2ck4mAOVf56sFsH89ndSOguhgRcfKPCIApi4OhejTDoAxZgxd-ugs_CUuy2dUbumhuTNVWd2xkTw3PEAUWVRIIvpXjqmt9KFUT9NyjR1mklItyZBYwJrqx83j2n-hrVHTEuXOIHYrs5XpIkX9ZAkFiWXixl-nLBbEza44ETrWTe6G-C5GDw1Ql7DYjGOtmqKRT8mz3pfvTEsaU2oRKqQ1_K6kKSb6JZ4FiJhnlCWXRtTocflXGpGMOkOfUOwxecdXNUS1lMMvx7-1P4mMMgoYUTQpkTPfTpYBSyxyfOwJDb0REqM=w464-h618-no

@UKSteve - you are really making miss the days when we used to order cartons of spirits from The Whisky Exchange. I could afford to drink stuff like that Glenmorangie when the dollar was high and it went through customs without being picked up for duty.

Raising a glencairn sporting a healthy dram of Springbank 10 to Tim's memory tonight. Seemed fitting.

The Glenlivet founders choice. Picked as it was on special and I couldn't read the word peat anywhere in the label.
Only tried it the Darwin way thus far, will add half a dozen ice cubes to a glass later to bring the liquid down to Scotland room temp.

I am thoroughly enjoying Manhattans at the moment. Made with a good rye and garnished with a quality maraschino cherry (non Day-Glo) there is nothing finer.

Drinking Guinness in Ireland has spoiled drinking it anywhere else for me.

According to current health/drinking ads, my Dad was a terrible parent.*

We went to Connemara in '77. I was 13. We stayed in a one-street town with 4 pubs in it. According to locals, one bloke owned all four, and the bakery. Typical country Irish night in the pub, locals wander in an start playing music. Dad asks the barman if it's ok if I have half a Guinness. You see him take half a second to work out the Guinness put more in the til than a coke. Nostalgia's hazy glow tells me Guinness has never tasted better. I think my Dad remarked on it, and the landlord said don't believe the Guinness salesman - it doesn't travel.

I remained underwhelmed by Guinness when I got old enough to drink it. Could be the memories, but it just didn't taste the same.

* Off topic tangent rant:
I hate those ads that tell us parents we should keep kids away from all alcohol til 18. As if from 17-18yo some magic switch suddenly makes all those health risks far less, or they're less likely to be bingers.

As if every kids who has an occasional drink before 18, turns into a binge drinking dickhead.

I think these ads can only add to the mystique about alcohol, which is counter productive. I also object to the nanny state scaremongering tactics and associated imagery - MRI scans, kids fighting drunk, chaos in hospital emergency.

Yes, these things happen, and Australia has a cultural issue with drinking. Most of it in the male 25-35 age group. It's far more complex than keeping kids away from alcohol til a given birth date. Most western countries have a similar issue though. It's over simplifying a complex problem, because despite governments spending a lot of money on this stuff, they have NFI. As usual, it's all about looking like you're doing something. I've dealt with alcohol researchers too, and they know the reasons are too complex to tackle, so their position is revert to the lowest denominator - put up prices and people buy less. Govt agrees, because like piggies, they grab the tax.

I'd prefer to be left to do the job of parenting my kids - a utopian ideal these days. I know them better than some government department and ad agency's cooked up idea of how to guilt me into doing something that makes questionable sense. My teen son has no interest in alcohol and I fully support that. But if he asks me to try a beer at 16, I'm likely to say yes, and sit down with one too and talk about it.

Last edited:
* Off topic tangent rant:
I hate those ads that tell us parents we should keep kids away from all alcohol til 18. As if from 17-18yo some magic switch suddenly makes all those health risks far less, or they're less likely to be bingers.
Couldn't agree more. Started typing a long reply but realised I was just saying the same thing with different words.
The French seem to do it well, introducing kids to diluted wine at family dinners. I'm sure they must have binge drinkers but I never heard of it being the issue it is here, or in UK.