DOTD! What are y'all drinking on today.

Had some friends staying over last night, figured it was time that this one saw the light of day -

vERbjS6l.jpg

Superb!

Dr Max Lake was the first of the new breed of vineyards in the Hunter Valley last century, a pioneer of the industry we know today. Read about the history of the vineyard here: https://www.lakesfolly.wine/pages/our-story
Wow, a legendary wine. Classy stuff (y)

Wow, a legendary wine. Classy stuff (y)

Yep, it was sensational. Picked this up at the local First Choice as they were clearing 'bin ends' of stock for a new range. It was at a price I couldn't resist. I still have a 2014 Tyrells Hunter Semillon that really needs drinking too ...

You have friends? What does each one cost?? :)

A lot of blood, sweat and tears :)

Yep, it was sensational. Picked this up at the local First Choice as they were clearing 'bin ends' of stock for a new range. It was at a price I couldn't resist. I still have a 2014 Tyrells Hunter Semillon that really needs drinking too ...

Funny how sometimes these waifs and strays accumulate. I still have a 1973 Chateau Coutet à Barsac awaiting its moment (since I rarely drink dessert wines), a 1990 Chateau de la Gardine Chateauneuf-du-Pape and a Charles Melton Nine Popes from the same year. They should be just about ready by now... :unsure:

First try at an Angostura Rum. Bought the 'Premium, 7 year' drop. Decided to leave the cheap stuff alone this year, and check out if the dearer stuff was actually any better.
Oh boy, that stuff is good (I added Cola though...sorry...please don't treat me as a heretic).
Next on the list is my soon to arrive 12 year Redbreast. Can't wait to try this one.
Will be 'home alone' over New Year (yay...peace and quiet), so can quietly indulge myself.

Tonight tipple and never seen or heard about it enough, it’s Aussie made Sour Mash Whisky
C6726494-32-E7-4-D65-BF81-F3-D44-D8-FFC5-C.jpg
OMG!! I'm in :love:....... Bye-bye Jack Daniel's or any American Sour Mash Whisky, famous Bush Ranger Ned Kelly is back from the DEAD!!

Last edited:
Found my Famous Grouse today.
Was a birthday present from my son many years ago. It's been lurking in a box in the garage, and today I found it...and still 3/4 of it left.
So I had to have a tipple to ensure it was OK...and luckily it has survived it's long spell away in the darkness.
Plus...my Redbreast arrived today too.
Now I can really face Xmas/New Year with a smile.
There's an older chap (Bob) just down the road from me. He's Scottish (or a Scot...whichever term is acceptable these days), and likes a whisky/whiskey too.
I'll be taking a wee selection over to see Bob soon. Purely for research purposes.
I'm picking the Redbreast will be ahead of the Famous Grouse, and I still have a 1/2 bottle of my own 76% Whiskey which I'm sure he will love!
Hope all you guys have a great Xmas and an even better New Year too.
Cheers.

Heh, there's one disadvantage to not "doing" Christmas: no Christmas presents. So I have to buy my own damn whisky... :facepalm: :p

Oh well...

Heh, there's one disadvantage to not "doing" Christmas: no Christmas presents. So I have to buy my own damn whisky... :facepalm: :p

Oh well...

Well I might have had a hand in purchasing this one …

Thats good stuff.

Tried it?

We visited the winery a couple of months ago, wife tried and purchased a couple of wines, I focused on this as I'd tried their other whisky and was driving. Interestingly in the two other groups tasting whisky at the same time none liked this. They did warn that not everyone would. Very different to a Scottish peated malt.

Might have to have another taste tonight - just to be sure ...

Tried it?

We visited the winery a couple of months ago, wife tried and purchased a couple of wines, I focused on this as I'd tried their other whisky and was driving. Interestingly in the two other groups tasting whisky at the same time none liked this. They did warn that not everyone would. Very different to a Scottish peated malt.

Might have to have another taste tonight - just to be sure ..

Yep. Even peated varies between Islay and Higland Peat. Iodine vs the heather sweeter smoke. I even tried a few Kilchoman varieties recently with a Mezcal and Tequila finish respectively. Different smoke influences entirely.

Yep. Even peated varies between Islay and Higland Peat. Iodine vs the heather sweeter smoke. I even tried a few Kilchoman varieties recently with a Mezcal and Tequila finish respectively. Different smoke influences entirely.

Iodine - 'nuff said