En ceramic studio, Artarmon

MrT

Commander of Soap
State Rep - NSW
Group Buy Associate
So, following up from my post in March acquisitions, I got a new shaving scuttle from a place in Artarmon.

The shop is called 'En, Ceramic Studio and Gallery'. Website is here:
http://www.tougei.com.au/

Artarmon and surrounding suberbs has a large Japanese population, and so this shop fits right at home there.

The woman who owns the shop is Emi, and is probably in her 30s. She's very lovely, and makes beautiful things. She also runs pottery classes.

Anyway, I went in one day to ask if she would make me a shaving scuttle. After going through a few photos on the net, she got what I was after and went ahead and made some. In the end she made 5! Turn around time was 6 weeks. I told her that another place sells them for $65, and she agreed that she would make it for the same price.

Here are the photos of the ones she made:

16744510827_2054e5354b_h.jpg

16950918611_487b059207_h.jpg

Pretty impressive first attempt in my opinion.

I really liked the blue ones, but the only problem was that unfortunately the glaze filled the grooves, and so the inside was basically smooth without any bumps.

The blue ones were also made using a very smooth clay, while the other ones were made with a more sandy type clay. This means that the inside of the bowl of the one I chose is a little textured and rough, mainly on the edge of the grooves... I don't think this should cause any damage to my brushes... thoughts?

Also, the grooves were cut out. Is this the normal approach? I thought that often they are raised, rather than cut out...

Anyway, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I'm calling this a win.

Wow. Great idea to approach and ask her. $65 is a fair price.

What size are they?

It's kind of funny that they have the spout protruding into the side of the lathering bowl. It makes it wider, but also not as smooth with the lathering. Kind of like a speed bump.

The walls don't look thick or bulge out. Any idea of how much water they can take inside?

Nice scuttles Mr T ty for the follow up on my earlier post I still am looking at one for the winter months I think a warm lather would be a great way to start the day