Feather all stainless DE razor thoughts

Ybbor

Hi all, yesterday i picked up a feather de razor from the post office. And i love the package it comes in.

So hows it rate?

I can confirm it is very very mild! I popped a feather blade into it and went to task with cade soap. It shaves very nicely gentle but clean and sharp result.

However at this stage the merkur futur is a little bit better as it cut my beard cleanly requiring just one pass, the feather required 2. But i shall see how it breaks in over time.

This is my 8th DE type and currently i would point people to other razors in this order. Note the feather blade is the best for me as its very sharp and is as close as i can get to straight razors in DE form.

Futur
Vision
Shavette
Feather all stainless
Fat slim
Fatboy
Red arrow
Gillette
Super speed

Glad you like it. Would be interested to see some pics.

I think I can remember considering this razor, but being put off by the relatively high price.

As above - very high price, non-adjustable and reportedly extremely mild, even with feather blades.

Haven't tried one but the consensus is it's over-engineered, over-priced, and overly-mild. Lots of disappointed buyers, but for the $$ I suppose they were expecting far more...

Utter useless with the milder blades. Does an excellent job at taming the aggressive blades.

Great to have in your hand, great to look at, not that great to use if you blade switch often. Oh, and did i mention it was expensive.

Yes its mild. Gave a loverly shave with a feather. However my futura is far better i feel. But my face loves feather amd astra blades in mild razors :)

It looks pretty nice at least. If you're looking for a stainless one Ybbor, maybe the Weber that Nick picked up recently might serve you better. He seems to like it, and it's half the price of the Feather AS. You could probably flip this YKW for not much of a loss if you were that way inclined.

I’m trying to make up my mind on whether to buy a feather as-d2.

I swapped over to wet shaving about 6 months ago and I’m happy with my technique and my current equipment - Muhle r89 with Astra blades. I don’t have heavy growth or tough hair and don’t suffer from irritation or burn.

Can anyone help me make up my mind?

I’m trying to make up my mind on whether to buy a feather as-d2.

I swapped over to wet shaving about 6 months ago and I’m happy with my technique and my current equipment - Muhle r89 with Astra blades. I don’t have heavy growth or tough hair and don’t suffer from irritation or burn.

Can anyone help me make up my mind?

It may also assist by explaining what you want from your razor. More efficiency, milder or more aggression, narrower head etc. Just note, that more efficiency generally means going up in aggressiness. But there are exceptions like the Feather AS-D2 :)

It may also assist by explaining what you want from your razor.

Good question though difficult to answer. I suppose it’s like stringing a tennis racquet - you have a general idea of what tension you want, but not the precise tension.

I don’t think I’d like a ‘milder’ razor.

Apart from that, I think it’s probably a case that I won’t know unless I try it.

Good question though difficult to answer. I suppose it’s like stringing a tennis racquet - you have a general idea of what tension you want, but not the precise tension.

Apart from that, I think it’s probably a case that I won’t know unless I try it.

You might like Muhle Rocca and Muhle R41 both are not milder, also have your tried Merkur 34C?

For the cost of the Feather AS-D2 you could get a few razor heads from RazoRock or Maggard's, Yaqi :) to buy and try to get a feel of what you like and dislike. Also extensive reviews on these heads compared to other main stream heads/razors so good decisions can be made later with your experience.
Though saying the last thing above, I still have no idea :LOL:

Personally don't think you should start with a Rocca nor a Muhle R41. Rocca price is high for that type of razor and the later is very very agressive in the wrong hands.

Last edited: