First impressions of MDC original

cranky

Scent: First impressions so far i have used the Original which is Lavender, Rosemary & Mint scented the Rosemary to me comes across stronger a dirty earthy rosemary not the best scent i have smelled but not bad i can live with it.

Performance: Well YMMV but to me it's not worth the price point there are much better soaps creams out there that out perform MDC, at half the price, some of my favourite soaps for performance & very important post shave feel is Le Pere Lucien, The Sudsy Soapery, I coloniali, Saponificio Varesino and a few more Artisan soaps to many to list.

I have used MDC so far about six times i find it drying on the face don’t get me wrong it’s a good soap but to me not a tier one soap it lathers very easily slickness not bad, cushion ok for me, YMMV.

I can say though that it looks like i will never finish the soap in my life time after six uses it hasn't even put a dent in it and its a large container.

Regards
cranky

Interesting to hear your comments on this often touted soap, I really want to try the Fougere from MdC but have not got around to ordering it due to the postage costs thus far.

The comments about it drying on the face are in part due to it being a traditional french soap that is designed to clean the face as well as being used to shave from my in depth reading on the soap on other forums over the years.

Interesting to hear your comments on this often touted soap, I really want to try the Fougere from MdC but have not got around to ordering it due to the postage costs thus far.

The comments about it drying on the face are in part due to it being a traditional french soap that is designed to clean the face as well as being used to shave from my in depth reading on the soap on other forums over the years.
I am in the same boat as you @todras the fougere is something I have been wanting to try but the cost always puts me off a little.

Rant helmet on:

I don't mean this to be too unkind but really ? Every soap review [exaggeration I know] starts out with a scent review. Come on seriously, it is a shaving soap. Some of the "prettiest" scented soaps are bath soaps yet are useless for shaving. From many of the shaving soap reviews across the net similar applies.

No wonder wet shavers have a cupboard full of soaps when their primary approach is scent first and with some it seems scent last. What is a shaving soap supposed to do? Oh that's right give a smooth comfortable glide while you slide a "razor" sharp object across your face. What is the point of a great scent in a soap that is very much below par?
High coconut oil/stearic acid soaps [sometimes just those 2 ingredients] no matter the quality of the scents will very often be too harsh/drying for most wet shavers.

I have had this conversation [regularly :)] with the Adelaide shave group and occasionally I have made scented soap to share. My one personal exception is Lemon myrtle but, and I feel a justifiable but, Lemon myrtle is medicinal for cuts, scrapes, nicks and in growns. "A study in 2003 which investigated the effectiveness of different preparations of lemon myrtle against bacteria and fungi concluded that the plant had potential as an antiseptic or as a surface disinfectant, or as an anti-microbial food additive.[11] The oil is a popular ingredient in health care and cleaning products, especially soaps, lotions, skin-whitening preparations and shampoos.[12] [Wikipedea]"

I feel sorry for the truly excellent soap makers that constantly have to chase the scent "fan boys" to maintain a viable commercial enterprise. Making excellent shaving soap after the initial months of frustration, experimentation and multiple batches isn't to be sneezed at BUT chasing a fickle "oh it doesn't quite smell right FOR ME" must be a total nightmare.

I have been asked to sell soap but my commercial model would fail immediately. 2 soaps - 1 Vegan and 1 Tallow and no scent.

Here is a suggestion. Buy a scuttle or a soup bowl, a top quality unscented soap and an array of essential oils and for the rest of your life chase pretty scents to your hearts content.

Rant helmet off:

@cranky I do offer you an apology as this in not an attack on you. It is a thorn in my posterior that needs Lemon myrtle.

Rant helmet on:

I don't mean this to be too unkind but really ? Every soap review [exaggeration I know] starts out with a scent review. Come on seriously, it is a shaving soap. Some of the "prettiest" scented soaps are bath soaps yet are useless for shaving. From many of the shaving soap reviews across the net similar applies.

No wonder wet shavers have a cupboard full of soaps when their primary approach is scent first and with some it seems scent last. What is a shaving soap supposed to do? Oh that's right give a smooth comfortable glide while you slide a "razor" sharp object across your face. What is the point of a great scent in a soap that is very much below par?
High coconut oil/stearic acid soaps [sometimes just those 2 ingredients] no matter the quality of the scents will very often be too harsh/drying for most wet shavers.

I have had this conversation [regularly :)] with the Adelaide shave group and occasionally I have made scented soap to share. My one personal exception is Lemon myrtle but, and I feel a justifiable but, Lemon myrtle is medicinal for cuts, scrapes, nicks and in growns. "A study in 2003 which investigated the effectiveness of different preparations of lemon myrtle against bacteria and fungi concluded that the plant had potential as an antiseptic or as a surface disinfectant, or as an anti-microbial food additive.[11] The oil is a popular ingredient in health care and cleaning products, especially soaps, lotions, skin-whitening preparations and shampoos.[12] [Wikipedea]"

I feel sorry for the truly excellent soap makers that constantly have to chase the scent "fan boys" to maintain a viable commercial enterprise. Making excellent shaving soap after the initial months of frustration, experimentation and multiple batches isn't to be sneezed at BUT chasing a fickle "oh it doesn't quite smell right FOR ME" must be a total nightmare.

I have been asked to sell soap but my commercial model would fail immediately. 2 soaps - 1 Vegan and 1 Tallow and no scent.

Here is a suggestion. Buy a scuttle or a soup bowl, a top quality unscented soap and an array of essential oils and for the rest of your life chase pretty scents to your hearts content.

Rant helmet off:

@cranky I do offer you an apology as this in not an attack on you. It is a thorn in my posterior that needs Lemon myrtle.

GUILTY AS CHARGED!

But, in our defence ...

I think you will find reviews often follow a logical sequence from packaging (first impression) through scent (second impression) to performance (final, and ultimate, test)

I've been thinking for a while of getting more 'science' (probably pseudo-science really) around my reviews with a scoring system, common language and weightings. Scent will not be the major factor but with so many good/great performing soaps it often becomes the differentiating feature.

You are right of course ...

If the scent was the last thing discussed in a heirachy of importance :) I would be much happier.

Example: Arko

I really like the scent, it lathers well but doesn't agree with my skin. It smells fresh like my father and grandfather and most barber shops did after a shave but as a shaving soap it doesn't agree with me.

Steve

Scent: First impressions so far i have used the Original which is Lavender, Rosemary & Mint scented the Rosemary to me comes across stronger a dirty earthy rosemary not the best scent i have smelled but not bad i can live with it.

Performance: Well YMMV but to me it's not worth the price point there are much better soaps creams out there that out perform MDC, at half the price, some of my favourite soaps for performance & very important post shave feel is Le Pere Lucien, The Sudsy Soapery, I coloniali, Saponificio Varesino and a few more Artisan soaps to many to list.

I have used MDC so far about six times i find it drying on the face don’t get me wrong it’s a good soap but to me not a tier one soap it lathers very easily slickness not bad, cushion ok for me, YMMV.

I can say though that it looks like i will never finish the soap in my life time after six uses it hasn't even put a dent in it and its a large container.

Regards
cranky

Thanks for your thoughts Cranky.

I don't mind the MdC myself to shave with
- yes, it does dry the skin a little but I like to re-moisture my skin with post-shave products so I don't mind this.
- yes, it is expensive but it is value-for-money as it goes a LONG way.

I have the fougere scent and I like it a lot. I haven't smelt the original.

Rant helmet on:

Rant helmet off:

I hear you Baldy. I like your rant and think you're spot on. I guess scent and packaging is a way to differentiate and sell more products but ought to play second fiddle to performance. Scent is subjective but also emotive- it enhances the shave. With so many great performing shave soaps, a lot of the decision to choose one above another is the scent. Whether it matches a favourite cologne, reminds you of a place, or just makes you feel good, scent makes a tangible difference.

Lemon Myrtle is a beautiful scent and top oil. I'd like to see more Aussie shave soaps using this EO. I know Washpool make one and it smells awesome.

If the scent was the last thing discussed in a heirachy of importance :) I would be much happier.
Steve

I think you have hit the nail on the head @bald as Steve from your own perspective and at a shot I am guessing you have 30 or 40 years worth of experience on which you rely, possibly more therefore for you personally (and indeed for myself) the performance of the soap itself is paramount as after all, the soap is there to assist the blade glide across the face - particularly so if you are using a straight edge razor but also in application to using a DE.

The scents of shaving soaps have a currency of their own, with little focus on the performance but I think this has become a trend for a reason (youngsters aside):
The focus of most reviews and the scent of the soap is though a response in part to the performance of most soaps being excellent, that is to say the formulation has reached a point where it is a given that they will perform well purely as soaps and therefore wet-shavers have tended to assume that this is the case and as consumers have now started to concentrate on the scent of the soap as a distinguishing feature with the expectation that purely soap based performance is a given.

As regards MdC which I assume has quite rightly prompted your ire and what I in my response was trying to convey to Cranky with my reply, MdC is a traditional French soap made in a traditional French method with the aim of recreating a French shaving soap which by tradition is not supposed to be heavily scented and is also supposed to clean the face as a soap should. With the popularity and elevation of MdC on the forums though there seems to have developed a quite understandable misunderstanding and incorrect conception as to what MdC actually is given it's price and scarcity.

Please don't misconstrue anything I say Steve, there is no sarcasm, arrogance or anything other than a willingness to engage in a constructive, open and positive discussion that acknowledges your wealth of experience and expertise, with a tacit nod of respect as you use a 'straight'.

Dan

As regards MdC which I assume has quite rightly prompted your ire

I will be totally up front as I have not used the genuine product but my side comment is/was shaving soap that is almost 50/50 Coconut and Stearic acid. They certainly works well but can be pretty drying because the coconut portion is so effective at cleaning the skin. Across the net it is assumed 50/50 Coconut and Stearic acid or close to that is the basis for MDC, but it may very well not be, it is after all a proprietary formulation. Apparently they do age the soap for quite some time which may alter the performance.

I feel much better after 3 large cups of coffee [smelt wonderful by the way :) ] and I realise I'm much more function over form.

Steve

I absolutely agree - a soap review should try to be as objective as possible and discuss:

1. and foremost: glide/slickness/level of hydration - it is a shaving soap

2. and foremost: cushion/protection/peaks - it is a shaving soap

3. post shave feel - because it is a shaving soap of the 21st century and the traditional british/french/german/etc. men were tough boys who shaved in the drenches with cold water and I am a sissy who likes his skin to feel wonderfully plumb and moist after the shave

4. for those who are in a hurry: latherability - as it still is a shaving soap

5. a mention of the scent with an acknowledgement that the scent is HIGHLY subjective

6. packaging/hardness/price/etc

I also agree that Coconut Soaps (like MdC) dry out my skin - and I cannot tolerate that - simply because I don't have to.

I can get wonderful soaps, that have fantastic slickness, great cushion, a perfect post shave feel and smell nice - so why should I waste a great shave on dry skin...

I also agree that Coconut Soaps (like MdC) dry out my skin - and I cannot tolerate that - simply because I don't have to.

That's exactly why I gave my Razo Rock XXX and Don Donato away.

I would experience redness, dryness and soreness and irritation post shave that took days to heal particularly around the neck area where I always shave cautiously and carefully. I pondered over it for a few weeks as I knew it wasn't my technique, blade or anything else as the irritation and redness did not occur with any other soap or cream. Then I realised that it was only when I used XXX the problem manifested and quite frankly it was not worth the irritation or unsightly redness when there are so many other soaps and creams around without it, as you say.

I like the other points you covered in your list too, a very worthwhile and knowledgeable post my friend.

What Alfredus said. I like matching great soaps, aftershaves and colognes, but that's purely personal preference. When I started I just wanted to find the artisans that produced the best performing soap, and only after that, looked for scents in their range I might enjoy.

I absolutely agree - a soap review should try to be as objective as possible and discuss:

1. and foremost: glide/slickness/level of hydration - it is a shaving soap

2. and foremost: cushion/protection/peaks - it is a shaving soap

3. post shave feel - because it is a shaving soap of the 21st century and the traditional british/french/german/etc. men were tough boys who shaved in the drenches with cold water and I am a sissy who likes his skin to feel wonderfully plumb and moist after the shave

4. for those who are in a hurry: latherability - as it still is a shaving soap

5. a mention of the scent with an acknowledgement that the scent is HIGHLY subjective

6. packaging/hardness/price/etc

I can get wonderful soaps, that have fantastic slickness, great cushion, a perfect post shave feel and smell nice - so why should I waste a great shave on dry skin...

Great framework, now the next step - how to describe and differentiate these elements :)

Great framework, now the next step - how to describe and differentiate these elements :)

The easiest way IMO: comparison

Choose your top soap in each of these categories and compare the new/reviewed soap to it. If you want to go into more detail, compare it to a couple of soaps and also mention the brush(es) you used.

As with all reviews: if could be your second soap or your 100th - without sharing this fact in your review along with your personal preferences, the whole exercise becomes a bit worthless.

Of course I know some around here now, and their level of experience, but generally speaking if the first paragraph of a review doesn't tell me a bit about the background/experience of the reviewer, I don't read on...

<Coughs> Spreadsheet. </Coughs>

Choose your top soap in each of these categories and compare the new/reviewed soap to it. If you want to go into more detail, compare it to a couple of soaps and also mention the brush(es) you used.

This calls for empirical metrics, a large n= size and stringent methodology. We can discuss at a later date in which journal we will seek to publish!

My proposal is we construct an experiment, record the data of 20 - 30 'subjects' into one of Marks no doubt innumerable spreadsheets then perform both ANNOVA and modelled linear regression analysis on the data. Further, to eliminate error we ensure all soap samples (we sample 20 to 40 readily available soaps) are subject to GC-MS analysis by two independent institutions.

Gentlemen, we have our framework.

:giggle:

<Coughs> Spreadsheet. </Coughs>

This calls for empirical metrics, a large n= size and stringent methodology. We can discuss at a later date in which journal we will seek to publish!

My proposal is we construct an experiment, record the data of 20 - 30 'subjects' into one of Marks no doubt innumerable spreadsheets then perform both ANNOVA and modelled linear regression analysis on the data. Further, to eliminate error we ensure all soap samples (we sample 20 to 40 readily available soaps) are subject to GC-MS analysis by two independent institutions.

Gentlemen, we have our framework.

:giggle:

Me no like.
Sounds like too much effort. [emoji15]

What happened to the spontaneous explosion of joy and happiness that comes from that mixture of slippery lather, intoxicating scent and gloriously smooth skin...?! *sigh*

Me no like.
What happened to the spontaneous explosion of joy and happiness that comes from that mixture of slippery lather, intoxicating scent and gloriously smooth skin...?! *sigh*

It was nothing more than a spontaneous explosion of joking around on a Sunday after a nice lunch and a couple of glasses of a nice single malt is all.

Not at all serious, couldn't help throwing spreadsheets into the mix knowing marks proclivity and expertise with numbers by profession :)

It was nothing more than a spontaneous explosion of joking around on a Sunday after a nice lunch and a couple of glasses of a nice single malt is all.

Not at all serious, couldn't help throwing spreadsheets into the mix knowing marks proclivity and expertise with numbers by profession :)

OH, so I should stop work on the template then ...