For all you dudes with the fancy Ti razors ...

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Did you know SR-71 Blackbird Mach 3 spy plane’s titanium parts made in summer corroded while those made in winter didn’t?

Does that mean you should check when your razor was made?

Hmmm, read this article about the construction of the Blackbirds -

'They discovered that spot welded parts made in the summer were failing very early in their life, but those welded in winter were fine'.

That does sound concerning, so read on -

'They eventually tracked the problem to the fact that the Burbank water treatment facility was adding chlorine to the water they used to clean the parts to prevent algae blooms in summer, but took it out in winter. Chlorine reacts with titanium, so they began using distilled water from this point on'.

PHEW!

In case that wasn't enough, check your other bathroom products -

'They discovered that their cadmium plated tools were leaving trace amounts of cadmium on bolts, which would cause galvanic corrosion and cause the bolts to fail. This discovery led to all cadmium tools to be removed from the workshop'.

Your welcome!

Did you know SR-71 Blackbird Mach 3 spy plane’s titanium parts made in summer corroded while those made in winter didn’t?

Does that mean you should check when your razor was made?

Hmmm, read this article about the construction of the Blackbirds -

'They discovered that spot welded parts made in the summer were failing very early in their life, but those welded in winter were fine'.

That does sound concerning, so read on -

'They eventually tracked the problem to the fact that the Burbank water treatment facility was adding chlorine to the water they used to clean the parts to prevent algae blooms in summer, but took it out in winter. Chlorine reacts with titanium, so they began using distilled water from this point on'.

PHEW!

In case that wasn't enough, check your other bathroom products -

'They discovered that their cadmium plated tools were leaving trace amounts of cadmium on bolts, which would cause galvanic corrosion and cause the bolts to fail. This discovery led to all cadmium tools to be removed from the workshop'.

Your welcome!
Now that was one sexy plane. Don't forget the slight fuel leak until it got up to speed. Love that titanium frame.

Now that was one sexy plane. Don't forget the slight fuel leak until it got up to speed. Love that titanium frame.

I saw one at IWM Duxford a few year back. Never thought I was really into planes, but seeing that 'in the flesh' was incredible. There was something about it I cannot describe.

Where would razors leak fuel from? ;)

Originally named RS71 yet a slip of tongue when announced by I believe the then President saw them stick with SR71, which imho sounds better.

Originally named RS71 yet a slip of tongue when announced by I believe the then President saw them stick with SR71, which imho sounds better.
"In all three places where President Johnson’s speech text stated, “SR-71,” the audio tapes reveal he said, “SR-71.” The LBJ library also sent me a copy of the “Stenotype Transcript of Press Conference.” In those days the White House used a stenographer who was writing in shorthand what he heard, or thought he heard, the President saying.
It seems it was the stenographer who got dyslexic and in the transcript wrote the words “RS-71” in all three places. The stenographer’s version was handed out to the press reporters that day. I am sure the reporters looked at the handout and must have said, “I’m positive Johnson said SR-71 . . . this reads RS-71 ? He must have got it backwards.” In actuality, it was the stenographer who got it backwards. However, in slight defense of the stenographer getting it wrong, President Johnson’s first reference to the RS-70, a reconnaissance version of the ill-fated Valkyrie, most likely threw him/her off."

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/sr-71-or-rs-71-how-the-legendary-blackbird-got-her-designation/