Found a Fatboys in the wild

lerenau

...is a cheeky monkey
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Hey all,

I'm down the coast and found a decent/good-looking Fatboy in an antique shop. Also had the original case in good condition.

The asking price was $145. I thought that was a bit rich. But I thought I might run it past you guys to gauge opinions.

The owner of the store clearly had no idea about DE razors.
Had a few Techs and misc classic DEs and SEs.
He also had a 3 or 4 cut-throat razors (in their original boxes.

What do you think? Am I right to pass-up a (probably good) Fatboys for that price?

@Mark1966

Not totally outrageous for a collectible.

More than I’d pay for a user

Last edited:
Sorry Mate. I think autocorrect ate that last line. Or maybe the wine has hit me harder than expected. Both are likely.

PHEW - I can fix it!

I'm afraid I was interstate. I'm back home now. :(

What do you think? Am I right to pass-up a (probably good) Fatboys for that price?
I think you made the right choice. Maybe a recently refurbished or pristine collectors piece for that price but user grade ~$100.
FWIW I prefer the Slim but YMMV

I'm glad I decided to focus on modern SE razors. The vintage Gillette rabbit-hole is far too deep for me, as @Mark1966 has amply demonstrated. If I were to go there, I might just as well file the divorce papers myself and save Mrs Gargravarr the trouble. :rolleyes:

Yes. I am finding that the pressures of too much work and young monsters children is pushing me down all kinds of rabbit holes in a bid to cling to sanity.

My latest obsession is mechanical keyboards... It almost makes chasing that Wolfman/Toggle we've all been craving seem healthy.

Yes. I am finding that the pressures of too much work and young monsters children is pushing me down all kinds of rabbit holes in a bid to cling to sanity.

My latest obsession is mechanical keyboards... It almost makes chasing that Wolfman/Toggle we've all been craving seem healthy.

Oh, mechanical keyboards - gold!

It's a very fair price if the plating is okay, the TTO works well and the box is in good nick. I'd have put a cheeky $120 offer and then accepted his $135 :cool:

Once you get a mechanical keyboard, there's no going back - well, except when you have to use the garbage they supply you at work...

Once you get a mechanical keyboard, there's no going back - well, except when you have to use the garbage they supply you at work...
Maybe, so long as you don't mind living alone. The noise might get you thrown out of the house. :D Personally, I think mechanical keyboards are overrated, having started a career looking so with computers working with a Teletype master console (on an old Burroughs mainframe) that not even God could touch-type with. That said, they're probably better than the ICL keypunch machines we did our coding on. If you want to go fully retro, try that...
1920px-Hand-operated_Card_Punch-2.jpg

Call it a challenge if you like... :p This is the only picture I could find in a hurry. Ours looked a bit prettier than that, but not much. I guess they were newer then. Most of the pictures you find these days show card punchers the size of a large desk (with actual mechanical keyboards) but this kind of thing is what most of us programmers had to actually use.