GDay from across the dutch

howea

I've been spending a lot of time in the W_E sub on Reddit and I thought I'd put my ear closer to home.

I've got back into DE a little while ago as I got sick of dealing with ingrowns and rashes from the ever increasing number of blades. I started to shave with my dads DE/Injectors over 30 years ago but moved to disposables as they were cheap/convenient and stopped the whinging.
I also thought DE would be much cheaper, but 12 razors later and a drawer of different soaps/blades/potions I've resigned to the fact that I've got RAD/SAD.

My current razor rotation is a Flare Tip Rocket/Krona/Goodfella with Rapira/Astra blades and Arko/Tabac/Erasmic soaps. I've currently only got a single brush (Frank finest/two-band Badger), which I will soon remedy.

And no doubt, will be adding vintage blades to the list as well ;)

Not so much on the old blades ... I have some old Wilkies (from my Dads time), that ripped me face apart, and a few packets of blues that look good.
But got no interest in repeating that exercise :-b

If you mean razors, I will not say no to any good antique that passes my way. Especially something like a Gillette Super Adjustable.
I had a Slim, in really good nick, but it was given to my older brother as a 50th present as it happened to be the same age as him (birth razor)
Did I also mention I'm a mug!

I've been spending a lot of time in the W_E sub on Reddit and I thought I'd put my ear closer to home.

I've got back into DE a little while ago as I got sick of dealing with ingrowns and rashes from the ever increasing number of blades. I started to shave with my dads DE/Injectors over 30 years ago but moved to disposables as they were cheap/convenient and stopped the whinging.
I also thought DE would be much cheaper, but 12 razors later and a drawer of different soaps/blades/potions I've resigned to the fact that I've got RAD/SAD.

My current razor rotation is a Flare Tip Rocket/Krona/Goodfella with Rapira/Astra blades and Arko/Tabac/Erasmic soaps. I've currently only got a single brush (Frank finest/two-band Badger), which I will soon remedy.

Welcome @howea
I too came from the W_E sub and decided to stick around...

What's the Goodfella like to shave with? I've heard Mantic59 write about it. Do you have a NZ connection?

The Goodfella is a milder shave, especially for an open comb. It also chomps through long/wiry stubble like a typical open comb.
Really small too. A fraction smaller than the Tech (my travel razor) so its also nimble.

vo490X8.jpg

The handle is solid Stainless so it's got good weight and balance.

But it's not that mild, and I've got a sensitive face so it tends to gets me a bit red(der) on latter passes.
I'm thinking of using it as a first-pass razor as it does a really good job on a WTG.

The other drawback is cost ... its a bit pricey than you would expect. Personally I didn't mind forking out
extra for it as I wanted to have a modern razor with good reviews(the rest of my razors are vintage)

Look at the post title for a clue where I'm from (read it aloud)

The Goodfella is a milder shave, especially for an open comb.

Thanks for the review/reply! Sounds interesting. I wonder how it compares to the Merkur 15C open comb which is meant to quote mild as well.

The other drawback is cost ... its a bit pricey than you would expect. Personally I didn't mind forking out
extra for it as I wanted to have a modern razor with good reviews(the rest of my razors are vintage)

There are so many great modern DE razors around.
The lads here have been raving about the Weber (all stainless steel). My arm is almost twisted into buying one. It's US$77 posted to Oz.
I have an aluminium Standard Razor. It's very efficient yet fairly mild. It's around the same price point.
iKon will be releasing a Shavecraft #102 slant (humpback style) around the end of the year and it'll be around a similar price point. So there are a few good/interesting DE razors around the US$70-80 price... (Of course there are a heap cheaper and those more expensive again....)

QUOTE="howea, post: 24174, member: 1243"]
Look at the post title for a clue where I'm from (read it aloud)[/QUOTE]

Oops. A bit slow here in the Eastern Isles... [emoji12]

The Merkur 15C looks like a pretty good razor ... especially at the price point.
It would be a candidate for me if I was razorless and needed a new one.

Somethign about solid stainless that I like. It's the same with a lot of my antique Gillettes that are coated brass.
I'm always a bit more careful when using a plasticy razor like the Krona

Welcome mate. Nice to see another Krona fan!

Not so much on the old blades ... I have some old Wilkies (from my Dads time), that ripped me face apart, and a few packets of blues that look good.
But got no interest in repeating that exercise.........

Hello and welcome howea. You must have used some dud Wilkie blades. Some vintage ones in my view (and many others I might add) are just of superior quality and will last twice as long as any current production one. And there's the satisfaction of loading a blade of the same era in to your razor. Any more talk like that and people will start sending you vintage blades to try.