G'Day from Narooma.

Hello, my name is George and I have RAZOR ACQUISITION DISORDER.

It all started one fateful afternoon when I was cleaning out the shed. Haha, there’s the straight razor grandfather left you – the one he said he used for 3 years on the Western Front.

Thinks: “How cool would it be to shave with grandfather’s old razor”. Best check the internet for restorers. Thinks: “Who are all these nutters on forums talking endlessly about razors? Why would anyone need more than one razor”.

Disappointment – the old razor is beyond restoration.

Thinks: “How cool would it be the shave with a razor LIKE grandfather’s old razor”. Back to the forums – unbelievable, these people are still here.

Purchase is made. Hmmm...this isn’t so easy. Maybe I should start with a Double Edge razor. Back to the forums – oh no - don’t these people have a life.

SUBROUTINE:

START: I have definitely enough razors now.

But wait, this learned forum member says that Razor X is better than mine.

I’d better get one and see if it is better.

Purchase Razor X.

END: Go to START.

Finally, one morning as I prepared to shave I thought: “How did I get all these razors? My rotation is now measured in months. Will I live long enough to use all those shaving creams and blades? I really have gone overboard.........But wait....”.

I now have a collection of modern and vintage DE razors and couple of straights. But I AM recovering. My obsession is now reduced to just Gillette vintage razors made pre-WWI.

Anyway.....

Hi to all.

What a ripping yarn - a.k.a. story of addiction. Mate I'm only new but you gonna find your share of enablers on here….just watch for the veritable land-mine field of rules. :cautious:

Anyway enjoy - seems a great place. And welcome from a little more inland towards Canberra!

Last edited:
Welcome!

I think a few of us here can relate to your story, parts of it if not all of it.

When I got back to DE shaving, I thought 1 razor will do, as you found out, 1 can turn into many!

Enjoy the forum, there is a heap of good information to be found here, as well as good humour.

Hello Sinister. Interesting story. Do you shave with pre WW1 razors or just collect them?

Hello Sinister. Interesting story. Do you shave with pre WW1 razors or just collect them?
Hi Pjotr,
The single rings are my favourite shavers along with my R41's. I shim them with either a modern blade or a trimmed 3 hole old type blade if I'm feeling in the mood for the true 1908 experience. Shimmed with an old type blade they are remarkably similar to an R41.

Yuppers, such as ruling that idea out Drubbing :)

So you're an R41 fan? I have one and love it. Lot of half men on here who are afraid of it.
Welcome comrade.

Hey, I would like to see a photo of the straight! I have polished, honed and rescaled straights and would like to see if its truly a right off.

So you're an R41 fan? I have one and love it. Lot of half men on here who are afraid of it.
Welcome comrade.

They were full men before they ran into the R41 :p

Great story Sinister - great handle and avatar too!

Welcome comrade.

Thanks JugV2. I have both the 2011 and the 2013 - prefer the former but both are on my favourites list..

Hey, I would like to see a photo of the straight! I have polished, honed and rescaled straights and would like to see if its truly a right off.

Hi Ybbor, I sent the razor to Oz Parker for a restoration. He tried but said the edge was beyond repair. Here are a couple of "after" shots.

Bengall5.jpgBengall6.jpg

I bought a 5/8" Dovo after that but got sick of the maintenance so now I have an AC RG folding and a Japanese SS.

They were full men before they ran into the R41 :p

Great story Sinister - great handle and avatar too!

Thanks SmallYet Deadly.

And thanks to all for the comments.

Cheers,
George

@ sin I don't know about oz Parker sorry. But to me there is not much spine wear and the edge is reasonably straight. Bread knife it then hone it unless the we warping or rust I cant see in the photo. IMO

This place is getting weird

Nothing more smileys won't sort out...

fixed that for you @Drubbing

Welcome aboard George - great first post that I can relate to a little

+1. I researched guys to hone my Dovo when I was trying straights. Oz was the only one in Aus that had any reputation or accepted expertise.

I got the same result from my research and sent him the Dovo that I bought for a set up sharpen. He was a great guy to deal with and did a super job.

Anyone invited him to join here ?

Hi Pjotr,
The single rings are my favourite shavers along with my R41's. I shim them with either a modern blade or a trimmed 3 hole old type blade if I'm feeling in the mood for the true 1908 experience. Shimmed with an old type blade they are remarkably similar to an R41.

To say you like open combs would be an understatement then. Mind you having said that, the R41 doesn't really have a comb at all and the cap is at least 1mm narrower than any other I could compare it too. I thought that shaving with a blade screwed to a stick would be similar to the R41. In fact I got scared just looking at the thing.

Last edited: