G'day from Townsville.

G'day man of few words :)

Welcome to P&C although I cannot really see any addictions in evidence yet based on what you have posted!

What straight do you have mate? Always glad to see another straight man around!

I have an old T. R. Cadmans Bengall it's my only razor and I love it.

What do you like in the way of soaps and creams?

G'day Mark,

I have the Dovo Solingen Stainless Steel 5/8. I ,ve got Proraso Red cream (first buy), had a couple of samples of sandlewood creams with some purchases, and now use soap (Crabtree & Evelyn - West Indian Lime). I really enjoy the art of soaping then doing the SR bit. I also purchased a cheap safety razor for my trips away, but alas, my wife now uses it for her legs and loves it. Only my straight now I guess.

G'day Mark,

I have the Dovo Solingen Stainless Steel 5/8. I ,ve got Proraso Red cream (first buy), had a couple of samples of sandlewood creams with some purchases, and now use soap (Crabtree & Evelyn - West Indian Lime). I really enjoy the art of soaping then doing the SR bit. I also purchased a cheap safety razor for my trips away, but alas, my wife now uses it for her legs and loves it. Only my straight now I guess.
It means you'll have a partner-in-crime now! You can safely buy more soaps and AS in order to "share" them... [emoji4]

Welcome mate!

G'day Mark,

and that would be your get out of jail card :)
Am I correct in understanding you've only tried Proraso red and C&E Lime ?

I've still got half the C&E soap left. I'm not going to spend all my cash when I initially got into SR shaving to save money, though the initial outlay was scary. I really wanted to get some bay rum AS (Wahl - it is cheaper and a relative used it in her barbershop and I enjoyed the scent, but they appear to have stopped making it) so I just use Brut 33, Old Spice and Imperial Leather - oldies but old-style manly.

What strop are you using?

I was in exactly the same boat as you. One razor, two soaps, 9 months. Then I joined Paste & Cut. Then i bought a new brush and twenty soaps. In two months.

Welcome

Good stuff with the shapton!! I use that system as well! Also my 5/8 dovo best is still my best shaver.

How do you go about refreshing with the 8k. Laps and frequency of laps!

Good stuff with the shapton!! I use that system as well! Also my 5/8 dovo best is still my best shaver.

How do you go about refreshing with the 8k. Laps and frequency of laps!
I tape the spine, give it 30-40 runs per side, use it for 3-4 weeks and repeat. I've honed only 3 times so far. I read somewhere months ago that you can oversharpen the edge. I certainly haven't got there yet, but my edge is getting keener and but honing in short bursts, l don't lose patience and butcher my blade. I'm still learning about the whole mystery of these enthralling and challenging tools. This is not merely shaving but a test of skill combined with the flair of art.

I tape the spine, give it 30-40 runs per side, use it for 3-4 weeks and repeat. I've honed only 3 times so far. I read somewhere months ago that you can oversharpen the edge. I certainly haven't got there yet, but my edge is getting keener and but honing in short bursts, l don't lose patience and butcher my blade. I'm still learning about the whole mystery of these enthralling and challenging tools. This is not merely shaving but a test of skill combined with the flair of art.
Well written mate, makes me want to try a straight. ...almost. Welcone aboard. Keep your eyes out for the next travelling box, I reckon you might enjoy dancing with some of the software.

Awesome man!!! I don't tape myself, but I do similar number of laps per month. I purchased a number of stones and home mine on 30k so was wondering about the 8k. The 30k might be a bit sharp!! Have been thinking where is the sweet spot between 8 and 30k but haven't yet experimented, and it's likely different for every guys hair and skin .....

Awesome man!!! I don't tape myself, but I do similar number of laps per month. I purchased a number of stones and home mine on 30k so was wondering about the 8k. The 30k might be a bit sharp!! Have been thinking where is the sweet spot between 8 and 30k but haven't yet experimented, and it's likely different for every guys hair and skin .....

I hope that sweet spot is a 12k Chinese barbers hone!