Gillette Aristocrat on eBay

Mong.

doesn't care for Euro Palmolive
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical
Looks like a nice razor, if the price stays low. The main fault that many of these have is wear on the gold playing on the head. You can ask how that is and if it's acceptable then it looks good. Also ask if both end caps are on.

Cased US Aristocrats like this go for between $40 - $80 usually (eBay is impossible to predict sometimes). Add postage of around $15 to get it to Australia.

I'd put this one down the lower end of the spectrum:
  • case shows some wear (second pic)
  • the bottom of the razor has a mark where it has been dropped (third pic)
  • there is significant wear on the guard bars, centre bar and silo doors (sixth and seventh pic)

Unfortunately as Johnus said the gold plating is thin and wears easily. Even before the plating wears the lacquer applied over the top discolours and comes off - so aesthetically these can be a bit of a challenge.

Check out other similar styled razors here on My Razors site for alternatives of you want to look at something else. Most will be more expensive :))) but the Rocket HD is a good razor that can be had for a reasonable price and is a great razor

If your Dad particularly wants one of these I have the one below available for $62.50 posted in Australia. Poor iPhone pics following (click on pic to enlarge):

I'm making the offer in the thread so that others can comment on the price.

I'd grab it without thinking at the price, apart from the $496 parking fine incurred yesterday.

If your Dad particularly wants one of these I have the one below available for $62.50 posted in Australia. Poor iPhone pics following (click on pic to enlarge):

I'm making the offer in the thread so that others can comment on the price.

Mark, if you have a silver Aristocrat you could offer for that price I;d be very interested. Not a huge fan of the gold personally.

If your Dad particularly wants one of these I have the one below available for $62.50 posted in Australia.

I can see the difference between the two, the wear on the eBay one is much more obvious now that I have a better sample to compare to. It's probably a bit expensive for my dad, but I'm sorely tempted. I'm almost wondering if I can think of it as an investment though, if it will hold its value pretty well. Would you mind giving me a few days to think about it Mark? If you're looking to sell and get a good offer though, don't hold on to it on my account.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'm happily absorbing some great info from you all.

Mark, if you have a silver Aristocrat you could offer for that price I;d be very interested. Not a huge fan of the gold personally.

The gold does wear more - the best option would be rhodium then nickel for their long lasting properties. You can get replated ones on eBay or there are other similar razors (see the page linked to above) in other finishes - the President is the closest, in rhodium but rather more expensive - I'd guess $80+ usually

I can see the difference between the two, the wear on the eBay one is much more obvious now that I have a better sample to compare to. It's probably a bit expensive for my dad, but I'm sorely tempted. I'm almost wondering if I can think of it as an investment though, if it will hold its value pretty well. Would you mind giving me a few days to think about it Mark? If you're looking to sell and get a good offer though, don't hold on to it on my account.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'm happily absorbing some great info from you all.

Mate I'm in no rush. I have a new one in better condition and will sell this eventually but I only took these dogdy iPhone pics for her. When I get around to selling seriously I'd take better pics in the light box.

Good luck with the hunt - PM me if you have any questions

what parking fine was that? at that price, you'd expect to be parking the whole year

I had my nose about 2 inches past the sign into a disabled spot. Going to request it be withdrawn, but need to have the cash ready to pay when they reject my request.

Considering taking it to court if they do reject it.

I had my nose about 2 inches past the sign into a disabled spot. Going to request it be withdrawn, but need to have the cash ready to pay when they reject my request.

amazing. seriously 2 inches and they ping you for it.

amazing. seriously 2 inches and they ping you for it.

Any excuse to revenue raise, I guess it's the govt/council equivalent of finding $20 on the ground. Except that the $20 was in your wallet, which they found and liberated before giving your wallet back.

Councils in NSW do not get the whole $496. They get a 'kickback' of approximately 1/3.

The council parking officer writes the ticket, but it is enforced by the State Debt Recovery Office (SRDO). This is the State Government entity that you pay all speeding, parking and other infringement notices to. Basically I need to pay them, not the council. They take about 1/3 of the cash for "Enforcement Fees".

Then the state government and the councils share the rest, leaving the council with about $165. Still, their 'not a real cop' are only on $30/hr so I paid his/her wage for the day and I am sure they didn't only ping me.

Just to give you an idea at the ridiculous parking fines in NSW, the same fine was $366 just 2 years ago. Massive increases of late. If I get caught speeding between 20kmh & 30kmh over the limit (not a school zone) then the fine is $417 and 4 points. Which one is the more dangerous activity?

As a user of those sort of spots, I wish you could send your over zealous inspector out my way!

My recollection is that the motoring associations can provide some legal advice (but not representation) in relation to traffic and parking infringements. It might be worth at least asking and see if they can give you advice before you fight it.

Just to give you an idea at the ridiculous parking fines in NSW, the same fine was $366 just 2 years ago. Massive increases of late. If I get caught speeding between 20kmh & 30kmh over the limit (not a school zone) then the fine is $417 and 4 points. Which one is the more dangerous activity?

crazy!! the gov't has gone crazy with the fines.

I see this sold for $31. Plus postage to Aus would be $46 ish - about what I said, lower end.

Some nice ones on eBay now

There's a really nice looking one on there now going reasonably cheap.

linky

Yeah, that is a later 1960s Aristocrat, basically a gold plated slim adjustable. It will creep up to around $150 I think.

The seller is a local B&B member

That's a pretty nice looking razor, and I won't lie, I want it. No happy ending to this story though, this lazy sucker needs to go back to work first.

Is $150 a typical price for a razor in this condition and model?