Gillette Slim and Fatboy Vintage Razors - Crikey!

Warning to all - if you want to pull he said, he said kinda crap from other places, I will give you a 7 day holiday.

@FatBoy58 - you started it, I do not care what was said elsewhere, least of all some FB group. Do it again, and you can have an enforced layoff.

Mark has the ability to had our holidays if he wants to, I have the ability to extend at my discretion.

Sorry lads lighten up just some friendly banter I'm sure @nsavage is a big boy. Eh by the way Nick did you end up scoring a bottle of that Limited Run Red Floid....................................

Sorry lads lighten up just some friendly banter I'm sure @nsavage is a big boy. Eh by the way Nick did you end up scoring a bottle of that Limited Run Red Floid....................................

You ask me to lighten up? Stop being a dick and trolling, see you in two weeks.

But while you're here mate, what's your preference of the adjustables?
I know @alfredus likes the Progress but would prefer it to be stainless steel. So he's waiting for a quality stainless steel Adjustable. [emoji6]

I started with the Progress and enjoyed it. I've used Fatboys, Slims and Black Beauties (Super Adjustable) with mixed results. But I've now tended to move away from the Adjustable razor...

I know @alfredus likes the Progress but would prefer it to be stainless steel. So he's waiting for a quality stainless steel Adjustable. [emoji6]

Theres a guy (David Blair i think his name is) in the UK that made a polished stainless handled version of the Progress called the Digress, but it unobtainable as he only made 14 of them and has no plans of making more....... but they are out there in Europe......... one sold recently for over £300.

Theres a guy (David Blair i think his name is) in the UK that made a polished stainless handled version of the Progress called the Digress, but it unobtainable as he only made 14 of them and has no plans of making more....... but they are out there in Europe......... one sold recently for over £300.
I believe that is the version known as the "transgress". Not sure what all the fuss is about as it is the ugliest of all the modded progress IMO.

There is a very nice stainless adjustable out there - from Barbaros & Rocnel - only problem is the 300 US$ price tag...

I believe that is the version known as the "transgress". Not sure what all the fuss is about as it is the ugliest of all the modded progress IMO.

Agree, the Digress is nothing special, but thats the one made by the gentleman's groom room in Dundee Scotland. Only mod on that one is the plastic adjuster has been replaced by an equally ugly brass/ chrome one. There is a US version called the Mergress as well.

I'll see if i can find pics of the Digress, its in another class, only Muhle part retained is the head, everything else is hand turned polished stainless. Bearing assisted adjuster, streamlined and supposedly better balanced.

This is the Transgress: (names are so alike i'm confusing myself)
wuz%20trans.jpg

Last edited:
Agree, the Transgress is nothing special, but thats the one made by the gentleman's groom room in Dundee Scotland. Only mod on that one is the plastic adjuster has been replaced by an equally ugly brass/ chrome one.

I'll see if i can find pics of the Digress, its in another class, only Muhle part retained is the head, everything else is hand turned polished stainless. Bearing assisted adjuster, streamlined and supposedly better balanced.
Sorry but I think you have them the wrong way around @Alba65

The Digress is the one made by The Gentleman's Groom Room and is the classiest looking of the lot IMO. This is the one that you can get in either long or short handle with either a brass, stainless or aluminium adjuster knob.

xdV00X8.jpg

The Transgress is the rarest of the lot and the one that only a handful of were made. This is the one that IMO is pretty ordinary to look at.

iLb9P82.jpg

Your right about the names, my bad, easy done when they are so similar and i wasn't fast enough at editing :whistle:

Looks are very subjective, so can't argue on that point :)

Your right about the names, my bad, easy done when they are so similar and i wasn't fast enough at editing :whistle:

Looks are very subjective, so can't argue on that point :)
Agree, we all have different tastes, opinions and personalities. How wonderful :)!

All this talk about the progress...I like mine just the way they are, with the yellow adjuster knob and all. I actually reckon it looks pretty cool and wouldn't change it (not that I would spend the cost of the razor itself just to change the adjuster knob I any case!).

Have been reading great reviews about it but $300 USD seems over the top

I had hoped for a more customer friendly price tag on it too, appealing to the masses seems to have been Rocnels take on razor offerings previously.
More in line with Barbaros marketing and their take on appealing to the high end users. The engineering of the head and the adjusting mechanism was interesting to see, reminded me a lot of the progress, just compact and simplified.

Model T is just around the corner too from kickstarter, is it blasphemy to call that a Gillette/Fatboy/Slim tribute/knockoff?

Last edited:
Model T is just around the corner too from kickstarter, is it blasphemy to call that a Gillette/Fatboy/Slim tribute/knockoff?
Nope, call it how you see it. I think my take on it was a "modern fatboy" as well. I just hope it shaves better for me.