Good morning all

Huggy Bear

Hi all,

Posting partially to avoid the cleanup script :laugh: :worried: and just to say hi. :)
I've previously done a bit of reading on B&B :wacko: and a fair bit on OCAU. :cool:

My current shaving setup is Feather blades, a Merkur razor (one of the short, fat looking ones; HDsomethingsomething?) in gold because it felt classy (now it just looks dirty), a Simpson brush, and TOBS 'Mr Taylor' cream. This is following a bit of refinement over a couple of years of using DE razors and now I have a box full of old blades/cream/soap etc.
I think my current weak point is the razor. I've got a straight razor as well but I've lost my strop and blunt straight razors are scary :worried:

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Morning mate

Yes, you definitely need to do something about a wider selection of razors. About 100 should do it I would suggest so you know what is on offer.

Maybe a couple more brushes too for good measure.

We have a trading forum - why not wander on over ;)

Apart from that a couple of hundred (thousand) blades should about do you too!

Nice kit BTW...

Welcome Huggy. You settled down with some great kit, and the 34C is no weak point!

34C is a desert island razor. A shame the finish is looking worse for wear. have you tried any gentle cleaning options to restore it's glamourous looks?

My suspect for the culprit in any shaving concerns is the feather. They are a finicky blade IMO :)

Post a pic of your straigt. i am getting back into them myself.

Welcome aboard mate :D

I don't think the 34C is a weak link. There's no real 'upgrade path' with razors IMO. You find one that works for you and your choice of blades does the rest.

I just scrub mine with some toothpaste and an old toothbrush. I've had mine nearly 5 years, so it'll never look like new, but then that's part of what makes it mine, and not some plastic piece of rubbish from gillette.

Feathers aren't the most user friendly blades IMO. sharpest doesn't mean best. I'd give Personnas, Astras, Perma Sharps a go. One is comfy, one is sharp, and the third seems to do both.

Last edited:
I don't think the 34C is a weak link. There's no real 'upgrade path' with razors IMO. You find one that works for you and your choice of blades does the rest.

I just scrub mine with some toothpaste and an old toothbrush. I've had mine nearly 5 years, so it'll never look like new, but then that's part of what makes it mine, and not some plastic piece of rubbish from gillette.

Feathers aren't the most user friendly blades IMO. sharpest doesn't mean best. I'd give Personnas, Astras, Perma Sharps a go. One is comfy, one is sharp, and the third seems to do both.

Personnas were alright, I hated the Astras and I'm yet to try the Permas.
At one point I got a blade sampler kit and ended up only using the feathers because they just felt effortless, so I bought 100 of them from ebay.

My one gripe with the 34C is the tiny handle, it feels like a toy :sad2:
I'm just not sure it's worth investing in a bigger razor when I can get a strop for similar money.

34C is a desert island razor. A shame the finish is looking worse for wear. have you tried any gentle cleaning options to restore it's glamourous looks?

My suspect for the culprit in any shaving concerns is the feather. They are a finicky blade IMO :)

Post a pic of your straigt. i am getting back into them myself.

Welcome aboard mate :D

580949_10151220707649901_1347706692_n.jpg

Maybe I just don't like my DE razor because it can't match the straight (when it's properly sharp).
Although the razor I really want is this:
wp8e770e65_05_06.jpg

Last edited:
That rams horn straight is bloody terrifying! I'd lose a damn lip trying to use that thing.

I've had the pleasure of using a couple of TI 7/8 Oakwings (one took off the Movember Mo last year) and they are absolute heaven to use.
One pass took off the months growth - respect is recommended.
A new 'Big Mama' strop through Star Shaving is only about $40.00 delivered and they are very nice.