GST on all imports

C'mon guys - think how happy Gerry Harvey will be :)

Yeah - now the difference between buying from him and others will only be 56% and a whole world of service!

More generally - don't think this will make much difference to me. I already allow Aussie shops a 10 % margin anyway.

Really don't care much about the 10% - but I fear the "service fee" Australia Post will collect for each package - that will cost an arm and a leg!!!

Well this bodes well for our local industries like @Anthony 's ShaverHeaven, @Occams (who seems to have disappeared from our ranks), and the new @luckypirate 's Bay Rum and this fabled bloody store that @filobiblic keeps hinting at and still hasn't delivered even a brass wazoo! Pfffttttt!

Yeah - might have to send an order to Spain - can't wait forever to get some myrsol ...

Abbott needs all the states to get on board. Good luck with that. Barnett (lib) won't play ball until he gets more of the GST revenue doled out nationwide. We only get about 30% of what the other states do, yet contribute most it via mining. You do realise most of it goes to NSW already, don't you?

Abbott needs all the states to get on board. Good luck with that. Barnett (lib) won't play ball until he gets more of the GST revenue doled out nationwide. We only get about 30% of what the other states do, yet contribute most it via mining. You do realise most of it goes to NSW already, don't you?
blah, blah, blah, hard done by, blah, blah, blah, America's Cup, blah, blah, blah, Gina Rinehart, blah, blah, blah....
...hey yeah maybe ask your poster-girl to pay the right amount of taxes and we might be able to dole out more to the needier states.

Read the article. It's already been agreed. As of July 2017.

Needier? Greedier.

Across Australia, the GST will give state and territory governments an average of $2370 for every resident next financial year. But Western Australia will get $714 per resident, 30 per cent of the national average.

Nothing to do with Gina or Twiggy not paying enough tax. She pays more, you lot get more. We still get fuck all. have you seen how much a beer or home costs over here already. It ain't the country I came to 20 years ago that's for sure.

Foreign business with less than 75k turnover won't be made to collect it. I think the shaving world will be safe.
It'll only be the larger players that they'll hit up. The little-medium guys will be fine.

So does this mean that the U.S. Amazon will be cheaper than Australian Amazon- even with the A$ being so weak?!

Needier? Greedier.

Across Australia, the GST will give state and territory governments an average of $2370 for every resident next financial year. But Western Australia will get $714 per resident, 30 per cent of the national average.

Nothing to do with Gina or Twiggy not paying enough tax. She pays more, you lot get more. We still get fuck all. have you seen how much a beer or home costs over here already. It ain't the country I came to 20 years ago that's for sure.
black-tissues-japan.jpg

Foreign business with less than 75k turnover won't be made to collect it. I think the shaving world will be safe.

The first bit may be correct but the conclusion is not.

Auspost will collect GST for the gov and will charge a service fee which has been estimated at $17.50 per episode.
Not only that, the GST will be calculated not on the item price but will use the same formula used for calculating GST for items over $1000 which is total price including shipping and a retail markup (to put it on the same footing as the stores).

So the GST on your favourite $30 soap is not going to be $3. Its going to be $17.30 plus 10% of $30 (item) + $20 (shipping) + ??$10 (markup) equals approx $6 for a total tax hike of $23.50.

Abbot just made your $30 soap almost twice as expensive .

The first bit may be correct but the conclusion is not.

Auspost will collect GST for the gov and will charge a service fee which has been estimated at $17.50 per episode.
Not only that, the GST will be calculated not on the item price but will use the same formula used for calculating GST for items over $1000 which is total price including shipping and a retail markup (to put it on the same footing as the stores).

So the GST on your favourite $30 soap is not going to be $3. Its going to be $17.30 plus 10% of $30 (item) + $20 (shipping) + ??$10 (markup) equals approx $6 for a total tax hike of $23.50.

Abbot just made your $30 soap almost twice as expensive .
I'd swear @Mark1966 penned your reply.