Heavy Water vodka now available via Uncle Dan

That looks a bit gimicky to me. The designerbottle, aeration chamber and the "ultra premium" label all turn me off a bit. I guess if the aeration thing works, and its a top drop then it deserves the moniker, but all that jazz means I need more persuading than if they weren't there.

I got some Ciroc on my last trip abroad as it was on a sensational special, and it hasn't been too bad. Fairly smooth and no discernible harsh taste, but by no means the best I have tasted. Also like the dot au is technically rum, Ciroc would technically be brandy or grappa wouldn't it?

This is running out, and all I have left after that is some Absolut cooking vodka. What would be your top few easily accessible (No Dan Murphy's up here - pretty much just BWS, Liquorland, Thirsty Camel, and Vintage Cellars) vodkas that don't stretch the wallet?

In fact, I don't tend to drink spirits that frequently at all, and a top 3 VFM of most of them would go down well.

Call me cynical but when the sales blurb first praises the scandanavian who sketched up the bottle.........then the Gaullic mob who heated the sand to make the bottle itself..........then the Italian's who banged out the always essential with any beverage *cough cough* 'aeration rod'.......before finally giving a few words about the actual vodka itself, my Don Draper marketing bullshitometer starts to beep frantically.

Disappointed by the lack of magnets.

It is actually quite good, certainly different to most I have tried but unfortunately the price is a bit steep in my book. I'm not sure if the Aerator does anything but what comes out of the bottle is very decent.

Unfortunately it is hard to tell where the product stops and the marketing starts, but in comparison to the Stoli Elit at a higher price, the Heavy Water holds its own.

I got some Ciroc on my last trip abroad as it was on a sensational special, and it hasn't been too bad. Fairly smooth and no discernible harsh taste, but by no means the best I have tasted. Also like the dot au is technically rum, Ciroc would technically be brandy or grappa wouldn't it?

Yes, technically Ciroc is Brandy. However whatever you distill from only has a small amount of impact on the final taste, its what you do to it afterwards which has the bigger impact. Most stiolls these days produce a relatively pure ethyl alcohol in the first pass with most of the fusel oils removed. Another two passes and you have a very neutral white spririt.

This is running out, and all I have left after that is some Absolut cooking vodka. What would be your top few easily accessible (No Dan Murphy's up here - pretty much just BWS, Liquorland, Thirsty Camel, and Vintage Cellars) vodkas that don't stretch the wallet?

Sounds like you want to step up off the bottom of the mass market offerings and get something better but keeping a cap on the dollars. Unfortunately I suspect that the range up there is quite limited, even in comparisons to what we get at the same places down here.

Vintage Cellars is showing they have Absolut Elyx in NT for $45 per bottle on their website which I have a feeling is incorrect. This is a definite bargain when Skyy is showing as $41 there and Russian Standard is $45 per bottle.

I also spotted Ketel One for $43 there - that is also worth a look.