Hi all, Im a newbie from Melbourne and just learning a little about DE razors

smitsch

Hi,
My name is Simon and im just learning about DE razors
Ive just bouth a razor from a market and was really keen to know what it is. I thought it was a Gillette but cant pin down a year. Ive attached a pic. Im currently using a cheapy brush, Murker Super blades and Proraso shave cream. Ive just ordered a awesome kit from Mensbiz and should get it this week. There will be lots to learn along the way so im sure ill read lots and ask lots.
Thanks,
Simon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 16
Hey Mate! Welcome again.

I'm not a guru on dating razors, but @Mark1966 is one such person to ask.

My guess is that it is more likely a German-made travel open comb. Likely to be 1930's to 40's. Merkur makes a modern version of this travel razor - the Merkur 985. There were a few different companies making similar travel razors. Here's some discussion on them.

Did it come in a little metal box? I have a very similar razor. [emoji106]

It did come in a silver box, and a silver (metal) blade holder.
There's nothing quite like finding a vintage razor out in the wild. You get a rush of excitement. It's a piece of history that you can connect with and it's still just as great to shave with as it was when first made.

Wet shaving is such a wonderful connection from the present to the past. Good quality stuff lasts; razors are one such quality item.

Great find for you. It will probably be the start of many more to come. Vintage and modern DE razors. Vintage and modern DE blades. Soaps, creams and aftershaves (modern and vintage). Have fun and enjoy the journey!

Hi Simon welcome welcome!

My first piece of advice is not to sign up for any shaving gear sabbaticals that may be coming around, you've a lot of things to try!

Great to have new people around. Make yourself comfortable.

Hi Simon. Welcome to The Club. Nice to see another Melbournian amongst this throng.

By the way - lovely bunch of guys so you're in good hands.

A better photo!

Hi mate and welcome to P&C!

Looking at the pic it seems to me to be an 'Old Type' clone, ie another manufacturers clone of a Gillette Old Type, probably based on the Gillette 'Single Ring'.

It is meant to be a three piece with the tube press fitted onto the base of the head. The knob is then inserted into the thread and screws up onto the cap. The style of manufacture often meant that the tubes on the Gillette originals split.

The bent teeth on these can be pushed back into shape without too much trouble but the one you have should shave fine. The Gillette ones were silver plated and cleaned up nicely using the baking soda/ aluminium trick but this doesn't look silver plated to me.

Anyway - enjoy!

Hello and welcome smitsch. Those old type two pieces are nice but not the kindest of shavers in my view. They were designed for the first version of DE blade which had slightly different dimensions. As a result a current production blade protrudes more than is comfortable. Having said that, every shave I use an open comb old type razor for cleaning up around the mustache. It gets in to the nooks and crannies a lot better. I wouldn't use it for anything else.

Welcome Simon,

If you are looking to spend some money, then Mensbiz have an actual store in Royal Arcade (off Bourke St Mall). The staff there are very helpful.

Also just around the corner in the Block Arcade is Mr Wares, they have a nice collection of DR Harris aftershaves and Colognes.

P&C, single handed keeping Australia and the greater world recession free ;)

P&C, single handed keeping Australia and the greater world recession free ;)
I told you sabbatical blokes I couldn't sleep at night thinking of those hungry & homeless families. And Australia's credit rating going down the gurgler. Glad to see the personal call to abstinence has been met with the greater need our country's well being.

I told you sabbatical blokes I couldn't sleep at night thinking of those hungry & homeless families. And Australia's credit rating going down the gurgler. Glad to see the personal call to abstinence has been met with the greater need our country's well being.
Oh just because I won't buy this year, doesn't mean I can't assist others in their acquisitions. I've already sent out multiple lots of samples in the past week alone, and I'm sure I'll be sending out more over the next weeks and months.

I am not buying this year, but that's not stopping anyone else from buying. And I'm quite happy to help in whatever way I can. [emoji4]

Oh, I'm NOT on a sabbatical mate.

Oh just because I won't buy this year, doesn't mean I can't assist others in their acquisitions. I've already sent out multiple lots of samples in the past week alone, and I'm sure I'll be sending out more over the next weeks and months.

I am not buying this year, but that's not stopping anyone else from buying. And I'm quite happy to help in whatever way I can. [emoji4]
Yet I can aid you acquire items during your sabbatical *eyes the 37c* ;)
Seriously, you want something and we agree to a trade of item/s beforehand, I am more than happy to make the purchase.

Hi all,
Thank you all for your kind words, my current razor can be a little tough (need three goes at it - this could be me being a newbie or just a little harder to drive) Ill get a better feel of when my 34C arrives and i can compare. Hoping that arrives Monday.
I had the opportunity to drop into the Mensbiz warehouse in Richmond (OMG was that a place i could have dropped some money) I was there for my brothers xmas present (he got a DOVO SOLINGEN Silvertip Badger Travel Brush - lucky him). I was blown away by how much they had. Next time i go i will be focusing on ME!

Most of us do at least two passes every time we shave. There are even some freaks that do 4 and touch ups afterwards as well.
Don't expect to get it all done with one wipe around the face. Your facial hair is a complicated beast and can grow in 360 different directions. So there is very little chance of mowing it all down in one hit.

What he said ^^^^.
Unless you're using a straight razor, you need to reduce the stubble in stages ("passes"). You're not meant to apply pressure, but allow the weight of the razor to do its work.

Your technique will improve in time. It's like any skill; it takes time and experience. Different razors also give you a chance to improve and vary your technique. There's going to be years ahead of shaving and I guarantee that each year you'll improve.