Hi Everybody!

At least in that instance we should see one soap maker retain tallow in their product :)
A positive for tallow advocates and interesting to hear that your venture is inspired directly via personal experiences and a need for an improved product.

@Occams , for a 100% vegan olive oil based product is interesting and I look forward to further experimenting with the sample they provided for the traveling box http://paste-and-cut.com.au/communi...ng-box-no-2-reviews-and-comments-thread.1076/.
I hope you get a chance to experience it as well.

Feel free to let us know what you're clearing out ;)

Do you have a preference when it comes to razors/blades/brushes ?
As for fragrances, have you managed to recreate your signature scent in your lineup yet ?

My favorite razor, believe it or not, is the Merkur 23C. That, combined with an Israeli Personna Red, gives me the absolute best shave of everything. However, I'm on the list for a Mongoose SE, for which I have very high hopes. I live in fear that I will drop the Merkur. Stainless is much more durable.

As for brushes, I have a few, but my favorite is the Simpsons Duke 3 in Best. Love the density of the knot and the slight scrubbiness.

I actually have no wish to duplicate perfumes. I consider it to be a) Disrespectful to the artist (like forging a great painting) and b) contrary to my focus as a soapmaker. I take a great deal of inspiration from classic perfumes, however, and will be re-releasing two fougères (along with a fougère aftershave, my first in an alcohol base) on November 1st. I also released Lavanille, a soap inspired by Pour un Homme de Caron, a few months ago.

If you happen to be curious, though, my signature scent is Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur, which is tragically difficult to come by in the States. I have a weakness for classic civet-vanilla fougères. Something about them just always makes me feel like a 'bloke'.

Monsta Edit: We don't use th 'G' word here.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite razor, believe it or not, is the Merkur 23C. That, combined with an Israeli Personna Red, gives me the absolute best shave of everything. However, I'm on the list for a Mongoose SE, for which I have very high hopes. I live in fear that I will drop the Merkur. Stainless is much more durable.

As for brushes, I have a few, but my favorite is the Simpsons Duke 3 in Best. Love the density of the knot and the slight scrubbiness.

I actually have no wish to duplicate perfumes. I consider it to be a) Disrespectful to the artist (like forging a great painting) and b) contrary to my focus as a soapmaker. I take a great deal of inspiration from classic perfumes, however, and will be re-releasing two fougères (along with a fougère aftershave, my first in an alcohol base) on November 1st. I also released Lavanille, a soap inspired by Pour un Homme de Caron, a few months ago.

If you happen to be curious, though, my signature scent is Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur, which is tragically difficult to come by in the States. I have a weakness for classic civet-vanilla fougères. Something about them just always makes me feel like a 'bloke'.

Monsta Edit: We don't use th 'G' word here.
True about stainless being generally more durable.
Have you entertained releasing your own hardware ?

From the feedback of others that own a Duke, it appears it's quite a brush and you appear to like a bigger brush too.
One day I'll splurge and obtain a Polo :)

I can appreciate that.
Would be akin to just following the footsteps of pioneers, rather than taking heed of their experiences and forging your own way.
A tip of the hat towards the original via your own interpretation upon the other hand... :)

I like to enable...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gue...ed-1904-2004-Edition-Only-167ex-/160949255952
Original formula too :)
Is this the inspiration for your fougères range ?
Have you had the chance to try the father of all fougère?
http://theperfumedcourt.com/Product...EDC---Vintage__HOUBIGANTFOUGEREROYALEEDC.aspx

I appreciate what you're sharing regarding the classics, indeed mine is upon the discontinued list too (Gucci Nobile).
Something about the modern range in general just screams cheap/crass in it's sickly sweet attempted scream for attention, whereas the classics are not afraid to dive into the more challenging and masculine olfactory range, complementing the natural musk of our bodies.

True about stainless being generally more durable.
Have you entertained releasing your own hardware ?

From the feedback of others that own a Duke, it appears it's quite a brush and you appear to like a bigger brush too.
One day I'll splurge and obtain a Polo :)

I can appreciate that.
Would be akin to just following the footsteps of pioneers, rather than taking heed of their experiences and forging your own way.
A tip of the hat towards the original via your own interpretation upon the other hand... :)

I like to enable...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gue...ed-1904-2004-Edition-Only-167ex-/160949255952
Original formula too :)
Is this the inspiration for your fougères range ?
Have you had the chance to try the father of all fougère?
http://theperfumedcourt.com/Product...EDC---Vintage__HOUBIGANTFOUGEREROYALEEDC.aspx

I appreciate what you're sharing regarding the classics, indeed mine is upon the discontinued list too (Gucci Nobile).
Something about the modern range in general just screams cheap/crass in it's sickly sweet attempted scream for attention, whereas the classics are not afraid to dive into the more challenging and masculine olfactory range, complementing the natural musk of our bodies.

Again, in order. :)

1) Briefly, but I scrapped the idea, with the possible exception of a toiletry bag that we might be releasing soon. My feeling is that we're software makers, not hardware makers. Leave that kind of stuff to the people with other focuses.

2) I've both seen that listing and have a bottle of the current formula. Just because it's difficult to get doesn't mean I don't have my methods. ;)

3) It's funny you should ask that. After obtaining a sample of it, I was fortunate enough some months ago to stumble upon the formula for the original Fougère Royale (not the current formula, which smells completely different). It will form the basis of my upcoming Fougère Classique aftershave. I make an exception to my no-copying policy here because so few people have smelled this historically monumental perfume in its original glory and I think it's worth it to bring it back.

4) Well, there are always the current "musk" experiments: Kouros, Muscs Koublai Khan, and Secretions Magnifique.

Probably a good idea to stick to what you know, unless you're going down the rebranding path.
Problem I'd imagine with diversifying, is more research, time and liquid capital required, so choosing not to, enables constant enhancements to your software, which is only a positive.

You continue bragging like this, and I'll feel compelled to PM you seeking further guidance ;)

Bastard!
Another thing upon the list.
Now I'm hoping you're able to ship the aftershave internationally :)
Please ?

I take it you noticed the puck of vintage Fougère Royale shaving soap on ebay a few months ago ?

True about them, although I'm yet to find one that is complimentary to my skins chemical structure.

Strewth! I just read the hole thread your keen mate.Sorry but I think I will stick with arko its worked for the last 30 old years at least the old boy was right about that one (god bless him)
anyway good luck selling your soap.
PS my eyes are sore

That's fighting talk - durian is the nectar of the gods.

Wait, I'm not doing the non-arko side of the argument any favours here am I?

Still, if you haven't wandered a Malaysian back street and been enticed by the rich aroma of a perfectly ripe durian, you just haven't lived.

The thai variety, however, stinks and tastes to high heaven.

That's fighting talk - durian is the nectar of the gods.

Wait, I'm not doing the non-arko side of the argument any favours here am I?

Still, if you haven't wandered a Malaysian back street and been enticed by the rich aroma of a perfectly ripe durian, you just haven't lived.

The thai variety, however, stinks and tastes to high heaven.
Haha! You know your durians don't you eggy? Your wife has taught you well. There's a reason why the Malaysian durians hardly make it out of the country. Certainly the many Singaporeans that travel into Malaysia just for a durian feast know it too well.

Last time there, we found that McDonalds was flogging durian McFlurries.

I broke my 5 year + McDonalds duck to try that baby, and let me tell you it was surprisingly nice.

They have some amazing fruit out there, and I discover new stuff each and every time.
This last time I discovered langsat / duku. A longan sized fruit which looks a bit like a mangosteen inside, with fruit that tastes like a sweet grapefruit. Delicious!
langsat2.jpg

Oops sorry for taking your intro post way off track @Barrister & Mann

They have some amazing fruit out there, and I discover new stuff each and every time.
This last time I discovered langsat / duku. A longan sized fruit which looks a bit like a mangosteen inside, with fruit that tastes like a sweet grapefruit. Delicious!
Malaysia has such amazing fruit. Wow- I haven't tried langsat but I'd like to!

Oops sorry for taking your intro post way off track @Barrister & Mann
Ditto. [emoji51]

Not necessarily a bad thing, as you two might provide inspiration for a new scent :p

Probably a good idea to stick to what you know, unless you're going down the rebranding path.
Problem I'd imagine with diversifying, is more research, time and liquid capital required, so choosing not to, enables constant enhancements to your software, which is only a positive.

You continue bragging like this, and I'll feel compelled to PM you seeking further guidance ;)

Bastard!
Another thing upon the list.
Now I'm hoping you're able to ship the aftershave internationally :)
Please ?

I take it you noticed the puck of vintage Fougère Royale shaving soap on ebay a few months ago ?

True about them, although I'm yet to find one that is complimentary to my skins chemical structure.

1) I can't ship it internationally yet. Haven't quite figured out the regulations (and haven't really had the time to check). But once I get it all worked out, yes, we will be shipping it outside the States.

2) I did not see the puck as I'm not a big fan of eBay, but I did have the opportunity to shave with vintage Fougère Royale some months ago. I actually wasn't crazy about it, believe it or not. I like heavier, thicker lathers than that.

Strewth! I just read the hole thread your keen mate.Sorry but I think I will stick with arko its worked for the last 30 old years at least the old boy was right about that one (god bless him)
anyway good luck selling your soap.
PS my eyes are sore

I understood about half of that. Today I learned that Australian and American really are different languages. :D

G'day Will and welcome aboard. Mate I had a Little Bo Peep at your range. Looks like mighty nice stuff using quality ingredients but be buggered if I could choose just one flavour.

BTW: did you get an Aussie address to send stuff to for redistribution? If not, then I am appalled at our lack of hospitality and would be more than humbled to provide such a service.