Hi from Occams

Occams

Hi folks - I live in Melbourne and I make artisan shaving cream and pre-shave soaps - link to my site here: www.occa.ms (happy to remove if it violates the t's and c's, don't want to cause any drama).

Didn't know about this forum before today - I saw a few visitors to my site from here earlier in the week so thought I'd drop in and say hi, answer some questions if anyone's got any and generally just get a feel for the place...

I come from a family of soapmakers and we've been doing this for a very long time, mostly selling at small country markets. I think we make damn nice shave cream and soaps, so now I sell them online. ;)

Like everyone else here I like shiny stuff and have plenty more razors than I need, but I probably wouldn't say I'm a collector. Favourite one's a Carl Schlieper razor with some Chinese script on the blade. Not particularly valuable or old but it looks awesome...

Happy to answer questions anyone's got about what we do, how we do it, soaps and soapmaking in general etc., looking forward to getting involved!

Cool looking site with a couple of nice sounding products.

We like Aussie suppliers - must find and excuse to give you a go :)

Happy to have you here.

No worries about the link at all - we have had a few outbounds to you already (I sense you picked them up via Google Analytics), so no issue posting it once more. A reciprocal link at your end would be appreciated but not mandatory. We will be forcing anyone on here to be tagged as vendors in the near future. While that will limit your posting of new threads only to the vendor forum, you will be able to reply to other threads.

As long as you keep it friendly, respectful and helpful without the hard sell or bagging out other vendors or members, everything is cool. We are a very laid back crowd here with the normal Aussie sense of humour unlike other forums like 'You Know Where' (abbreviated to YKW). Just a heads up, we don't use the 'G' word here, and keep the smileys to a minimum or @Drubbing might get his knickers in a knot.

(y)

Hello and welcome Occams. Nice looking site you've got there. Unfortunately I've gotta finish some creams before I buy any more. Like the idea of the crushed lime. Do you sell any samplers?

Happy to have you here.

No worries about the link at all - we have had a few outbounds to you already (I sense you picked them up via Google Analytics), so no issue posting it once more. A reciprocal link at your end would be appreciated but not mandatory. We will be forcing anyone on here to be tagged as vendors in the near future. While that will limit your posting of new threads only to the vendor forum, you will be able to reply to other threads.

As long as you keep it friendly, respectful and helpful without the hard sell or bagging out other vendors or members, everything is cool. We are a very laid back crowd here with the normal Aussie sense of humour unlike other forums like 'You Know Where' (abbreviated to YKW). Just a heads up, we don't use the 'G' word here, and keep the smileys to a minimum or @Drubbing might get his knickers in a knot.

(y)

Awesome - not here to spruik or hard sell, and I wouldn't want to bag any other brands out. I've got favourites other than my own gear, and I know as well as anyone that it's always a matter of 'each to their own'.

Mostly just came to respond to a comment @Drubbing made in that thread about olive oil as an ingredient, which made me twitch a little... still says I don't have privileges on that thread but I'm guessing that'll figure itself out over time / number of posts or something anyway!

Don't know 'YKW', but I could probably take an educated stab at what you're talking about - very glad to hear that the 'G' word is banned too.

@Pjotr I don't sell sampler, sadly. Will have a think about this...

Welcome mate. I'd second the interest in samplers, especially if you have a range of different scents. Do you guys sell shaving soaps or just creams? I'm also interested in your pre-shave soap, they have a lot of common ingredients with the well regarded "Mr Glo" preshave from Musgo.

.... We are a very laid back crowd here with the normal Aussie sense of humour unlike other forums like 'You Know Where' (abbreviated to YKW). Just a heads up, we don't use the 'G' word here, and keep the smileys to a minimum or @Drubbing might get his knickers in a knot.

(y)

Think I've found my new signature

Mostly just came to respond to a comment @Drubbing made in that thread about olive oil as an ingredient, which made me twitch a little... still says I don't have privileges on that thread but I'm guessing that'll figure itself out over time / number of posts or something anyway!

Don't know 'YKW', but I could probably take an educated stab at what you're talking about - very glad to hear that the 'G' word is banned too..

We need more posters of this calibre.

I might have been getting mixed up with those oddballs who put OO on as a preshave...

I have just started using the Occams original Pre-shave soap (purchased last week), after showering, just before lathering.

It does a very good job, I think it gives me the best razor glide I've had for my first passes!

Give some a try!

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Occams in any way what so ever, I'm just a satisfied customer.

I'm glad he has joined the forum.

Warren

@Mong. no samplers for now, but I'll put some stuff in for the travelling box too so everyone can have a go.

We've made soaps similar to MR Glo in the past, but those soaps are a little soft and don't last that long. The ones we're selling now are traditional cold process soaps, which are harder and go a lot further - also absolutely loaded with glycerine, so they're plenty moisturising. I could be a bit biased but I'd say they smell a hell of a lot better too ;)

@Drubbing have had this conversation about olive oil a few times - waiting to be able to respond in that thread so I can put it in context. There are definitely valid reasons for people to sometimes draw that conclusion (wouldn't blame anyone for thinking so), but it's a bit of a misconception.

Want to try some of his product?

Occams has agreed to throw some stuff into the PCTB2 - what a legend!

So no need to hassle the guy for samples - just sign up for the box!

Hi folks - I live in Melbourne and I make artisan shaving cream and pre-shave soaps

Hi @Occams - At the moment you have 2 shave creams and 2 pre-shave hard soaps. Will you be adding some hard shaving soaps to your line up? I much prefer a hard soap over a cream. It also lasts longer and is more slick. A personal preference, but I feel that I'd more likely buy a hard soap over a cream.

Edit: formatting the quote

Hiya @filobiblic - no plans to do a hard soap for now, but I won't say never...

Our cream's effectively a cream soap and I could be a little one-eyed, but I'd say it performs as well as any of the harder soaps I've tried in terms of slickness etc. - in my experience that has a bit more to do with the particular product and constitution of the ingredients than whether or not a product's a cream or a hard soap!

It's also pretty 'concentrated' compared to some other creams - you really don't need a lot to make a big lather and a jar lasts a damn long time (I'd say at least 6 months of daily shaves).

Totally understand that some people prefer hard soaps over creams either way - all of this stuff's a matter of personal preference ;)

Yeah, I'd try some over time before thinking one thing is going to last more than another. I use Cella a lot and it's like a firm putty, but it's almost impossible to run out of. I bought 500g about 3 years ago and still have a full 125 tub (in a TOBS container).

I like hard soaps too, but find most take some regular use to work well.

Even though I have hard soap as a preference, i do still enjoy a soft soap (like the Italian soaps: Proraso tub, Cella).

@Occams - I'll just have to give it a try sometime...