Hi, my name is Andrew and I'm an alc....

dewy

Oh wait, wrong forum.

Anyway, Andrew here from the Newcastle surrounds. Just signed up after seeing the forum commented on a few times over at OCAU, hoping to find some assistance in selecting a straight razor and getting away from my slow and poor cut phillips electronic razor and nasty Aldi sourced carts.:cool:

Welcome Andrew - saw the registration go through a couple of days ago, glad to have you here.

Oh wait, wrong forum.

Anyway, Andrew here from the Newcastle surrounds. Just signed up after seeing the forum commented on a few times over at OCAU, hoping to find some assistance in selecting a straight razor and getting away from my slow and poor cut phillips electronic razor and nasty Aldi sourced carts.:cool:

I would suggest a DE razor first, a Straight requires a long learning period, money, gear, and a range of skills in using them all. There's also finding one that ready to shave, as factory edges are dull as a spoon, so if you get one of those you'll either need to get someone to hone it or buy stones and learn how. Then you need to keep that edge with a leather and canvas strop before and after every shave. Indian weddings takes less time... but at least the food's good.

On top of that, you'd be getting to grips with learning how to get a good lather, and getting to know your beard well enough to shave comfortably and closely with a blade that doesn't bend or pivot for you.

A DE is far more user friendly to start off with.

I appreciate the prompt input guys.

I kind of thought straight to straight edge just to skip the 'dual learning curve' being that my goal is to have a nice straight edge like the Baxter Blue steel.

That and the cost of a DE would account for a strop or something. The cheapest starter set for DE I've seen around is around $140 @ MensBiz, is there anything cheaper that is still worth owning? Is there much difference in the razors that affect their shave (apart from blade choice obviously)

Just grab the cheapest vintage Gillette Fatboy or Slim from eBay (or someone here..... MARK where are you?) and grab a sampler pack of blades. I don't mind the Derby's in the Gillettes but Personna Red/Platinum Chrome are pretty smooth and forgiving.

Add a tube of Proraso (Red) and a Omega brush and you are good to go.

Hi mate - welcome aboard!!!!

As it happens I DO have a couple of starter kits still for sale ...

Check out the pics and details in this thread. Still left -

7. Starter Kit No. 1 - yours for $A30 plus postage. Milord razor, entry level FS badger brush, 5 each of Sharks, Astra SPs, Personna Blue Lab and vintage Aussie made Gillette Super Stainless blades plus the cream. - NOW $A25 plus postage

9. Starter Kit No. 3 - yours for $A35 plus postage. Milord razor, entry level FS badger brush, 5 each of Sharks, Astra SPs, Personna Blue Lab and vintage Aussie made Gillette Super Stainless blades plus the cream. - NOW $A30 plus postage

There is some good advice around here and while I've not ventured into straights myself the learning curve seems fairly high and DEs do a great job.

If you haven't already noticed there is also a great deal of light-hearted fun poking because some of us have a few razors (see here) and others include the world renown inventor of the Thomas Method of shaving using a SE and a DE, while our fearless leader has a collection of blades that would stretch from here to the moon and back. So petty jealousies come into play and have to be ignored :)

Good luck with

Hi,
Welcome aboard.

You may find that taking up alcoholism is a safer and cheaper bet, this mob are biggest bunch of addiction enablers you will ever meet. I came here to save a few $ and get a better shave, 18 months later, I have a drawer full of soaps, hundreds of razor blades older than myself and I've spent more on shaving gear than I did in the previous 20 years.

They are also a very generous bunch, both with knowledge and gear.

Glenos

Hello and welcome. Attempting to go straight to straights is admirable. To say the least!

I appreciate the prompt input guys.

I kind of thought straight to straight edge just to skip the 'dual learning curve' being that my goal is to have a nice straight edge like the Baxter Blue steel.

That and the cost of a DE would account for a strop or something. The cheapest starter set for DE I've seen around is around $140 @ MensBiz, is there anything cheaper that is still worth owning? Is there much difference in the razors that affect their shave (apart from blade choice obviously)

I think the Baxter is cosmetics company brand name bling. You can certainly get a decent straight for a lot less.

A DE setup can be had for very little, as posted by Mark.

A DE will shave as good as a straight - and far better to begin with. My experience is that it is not easy to learn, and after a number of weeks I gave up, being unable to complete even one pass all the way through. My chin and neck was impossible. And that's after shaving with a DE for over 2 years previously.

Thanks for the further input guys. Mark1966's bundles have convinced me trying DE isn't going to be too exxy so I might get started there and as suggested get some experience getting the later and process right, but please don't anyone let me hide from a straight edge for too long!

Had my monthly haircut today and asked the barber to do a full face shave too and the bits he got right feel amazing, but there were a few nicks and seems to have missed my chin, it definitely shows me the potential I have for a nice smooth face and it just makes you feel better about yourself.:eek:mg:

I really think any of us here are capable of getting a better result than a "professional" barber. It's a dying art, and most just don't know your face as well as you do. Nicks are just one signs of that. I think you'll be surprised what a DE can do. That will be the benchmark that a straight needs to achieve later, but it will take a lot longer to get it when you have a go. Think weeks for a DE, months for a straight.

Tips from a relative beginner.
Pressure and angle are either your friend or your foe, depending how you apply a combination of both.

Use minimal pressure and simply resign yourself to not expect a remarkable shave for a few weeks absolute minimum. (I'm still nowhere near happy with what I'm accomplishing months into it, yet am having flashbulb moments and improving my skill and quality of shave)
You will hear the blade working, so kill the fan/water/radio/any other noise source so you can listen to the blade and use it as a guide as to the right angle.
You will cut yourself at first, stypic pens/alum sticks help, so does showering before and after shaving (my technique is to shower and wash the face, clean teeth and if required, hair first, when finished, get out and shave now the brush has soaked for a few minutes in hot water, then when finished, shower again to finish the rest of the body, clean up soap in the nostrils/ears and arrest bleeding and get out to apply a after shave cream/balm of some type, read not that cheap shit you find in the supermarkets)

If you can find a cheap schick krona on eBay, you will get a decent vintage razor that is mild, so will be more forgiving.
You will notice your technique improve, as you make less passes and a better shave to boot.

When it comes to lather, build it up for a good minute minimum.
Use more product is the best tip I can offer here.

Clean the razor multiple times so it does not jam and also aids in keeping the later wet when you hit a new section.
Reapply later if what you've already applied is dry/insufficient.
Some recommend just practising lathering to get a feel of that aspect alone, as it is what will provide protection and lubrication, so is important.

Good luck and keep us updated as to your progress and feel free to hit us up with any questions.

I am a straight user. Shaving my face stropping and honeing and re pinning or re scaling my razors. But it took a long time.

Enjoy a DE you will still use it when your in a rush!!

Just shave.

If you have used carts and canned goop all your life then everything you know about shaving is a lie.

You're learning to shave from scratch. Go slow, spend money, practise lathering, ask questions.

Tips from a relative beginner.
Pressure and angle are either your friend or your foe, depending how you apply a combination of both.

Use minimal pressure and simply resign yourself to not expect a remarkable shave for a few weeks absolute minimum. (I'm still nowhere near happy with what I'm accomplishing months into it, yet am having flashbulb moments and improving my skill and quality of shave)
You will hear the blade working, so kill the fan/water/radio/any other noise source so you can listen to the blade and use it as a guide as to the right angle.
You will cut yourself at first, stypic pens/alum sticks help, so does showering before and after shaving (my technique is to shower and wash the face, clean teeth and if required, hair first, when finished, get out and shave now the brush has soaked for a few minutes in hot water, then when finished, shower again to finish the rest of the body, clean up soap in the nostrils/ears and arrest bleeding and get out to apply a after shave cream/balm of some type, read not that cheap shit you find in the supermarkets)

If you can find a cheap schick krona on eBay, you will get a decent vintage razor that is mild, so will be more forgiving.
You will notice your technique improve, as you make less passes and a better shave to boot.

When it comes to lather, build it up for a good minute minimum.
Use more product is the best tip I can offer here.

Clean the razor multiple times so it does not jam and also aids in keeping the later wet when you hit a new section.
Reapply later if what you've already applied is dry/insufficient.
Some recommend just practising lathering to get a feel of that aspect alone, as it is what will provide protection and lubrication, so is important.

Good luck and keep us updated as to your progress and feel free to hit us up with any questions.

Jesus wept = They took less time to build Rome than you must take for your morning ritual. Fill up your sink with hot water - apply lather to your face - remove with blade - smile :)

I must admit I shave after a shower in the morning. I don't leave my brush to soak nor do I finish showing after my shave.
But each to their own!
Takes me five minutes to shave which is about the same as it used to take with a cart.

I must admit I shave after a shower in the morning. I don't leave my brush to soak nor do I finish showing after my shave.
But each to their own!

Not to sure about that Jugs. Before we know it we will have discussion over the temperature your water must be - the number of hairs your brush must have and the number of times you must twirl your bush clockwise and counter clockwise to get everything perfect. Water lather blade a simple equation