How much have you spent on shaving

Lets start with postage on purchases.

515 lines in my spreadsheet before I stopped.

Lets say 75% from eBay.com

Average postage - small flat rate box - was $US15 for my peak period.

You do the maths ...

You are all doing fine guys!

The collection is out of bounds as far as I'm concerned. What about the stuff you use, soaps, blades, brushes, aftershaves.

Well just some random figures here, not at all comprehensive but it will give you an idea.

GBE's - $800 (at the time)
Gold Traveller, cased - $200 (at the time).
2x Milords, cased - $160
Large Spoiler lot: $250-odd
3x 400-blade lots of Permasharps - $300

That's just some stuff off the top of my head. Having a look at some of my other purchases is extremely scary!

That's more like it. How about the rest?

I'm starting to feel better now.

That's more like it. How about the rest?

I'm starting to feel better now.

It would take me a day to collate. But nothing to have dropped $120 on a big batch of blades in the early days. And that happened many, many times.

I doubt I have spent what @Mark1966 has on postage alone, but maybe 2/3 that amount.

Don't like this thread - I thought we are enablers? In any case nothing in comparison to my Metallica collection ;)
I hear ya mate. If I pulled out my abacus I might be concerned with how many beads I push towards the left but however furiously these beads spin it would be no match for what I've spent on photography gear - easily somewhere in the tens of thousands.....and I just hope that's where it ends. :cautious:

I hear ya mate. If I pulled out my abacus I might be concerned with how many beads I push towards the left but however furiously these beads spin it would be no match for what I've spent on photography gear - easily somewhere in the tens of thousands.....and I just hope that's where it ends. :cautious:

Yeah but photographic gear is high end technology.

Come on folks, take the plunge, instead of justifying it before you've even added up the totals.

Yeah but photographic gear is high end technology.

Come on folks, take the plunge, instead of justifying it before you've even added up the totals.
What's with this new obsession with your insisting on us all to count our beans and report back?
....you taking on a Pubic Service job and moving to Bean Counter Central here in the hallowed capital? Hmmm...

You'll feel much better and get vertigo from your high ground once @Mark1966 replies
Ah but this is an illusionary consolation as unlike the vast majority of the rest of us if @Mark1966 had to liquidate out of his shaving gear I'd imagine he'd come out quite comfortably ahead - whereas you and me end up with cents on the dollar only! So on many levels Mrs Mark1966 can sleep well at night knowing that it's actually an appreciating investment (I'd say the overall value is definitely trending north with significant room yet to go) that has the benefit of it's ongoing actual day to day use.

As for myself these are very rough guesstimates but I'd say:
  • RAZORS: Only the Weber cost me anything over $50 - a lot of others are from trades or bought low as they were refurb/cleanups. I'd say $400.
  • BRUSHES: By far my lowest expenditure area - even the Muhle Kosmo Silvertip I have stashed away (yet to bloody use!) didn't technically cost me a cent as it was via bonus credit I got with a large store. Several trades for items and largest actual cash was around $25 for a Vie-Long from G&C. So perhaps $150 actual spend.
  • BLADES: Hmmm well my one saving grace is if I sold off my ~2k Gillette Platinum Malties I might break even on the overall loss in other areas. Several other sizeable modern blades buys but nothing 'vintage' - so I'd say $500.
  • SOAPS/CREAMS: Ok...I have a lot of these. I'd say $500.
  • AFTERSHAVES/POSTSHAVE: Perhaps $100 - but that includes my onroute devliver from VAD Pharmacy.
So whats that all...? Somewhere between $1500 and 2 grand. :sick: Ok too much and suffice to say if my missus ever reads this my account has been hacked and some Ukrainian teen is just making up ludicrious random figures that are gross exaggerations of my very low, sensible ACTUAL spending levels. :whistle:

PS. This is a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE thread subject and I move that @Pjotr imposes some kind of penalty/infraction on himself for dampening our day with the harsh and cruel realities! Boooo! ;)

What's with this new obsession with your insisting on us all to count our beans and report back?
....you taking on a Pubic Service job and moving to Bean Counter Central here in the hallowed capital? Hmmm...

Nah, decided to become a preacher man and show us all the error of our ways leading to chastisement and humility.

...........PS. This is a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE thread subject........

I know, it's great isn't it? A bit of discussion rather than the usual enabling/buying subjects that lately seem to dominate every thread here.

............I move that @Pjotr imposes some kind of penalty/infraction on himself for dampening our day with the harsh and cruel realities! Boooo! ;)

Please see response to first quote. I'm hurting!

I'm not going to collate my three boxes of items and state, nay, insist I'm saving money compared to using cartridges/electrics and look better than sporting a beard!
As for the OP, anyone got any canned goo/cartridge systems they need to dispo.. ahem, generously pass onto him ?

I'm not going to collate my three boxes of items and state, nay, insist I'm saving money compared to using cartridges/electrics and look better than sporting a beard!.......

Yeah, the ostrich approach.

..........As for the OP, anyone got any canned goo/cartridge systems they need to dispo.. ahem, generously pass onto him ?

That's just plain nasty.

Yeah, the ostrich approach.
If it ain't broke...

That's just plain nasty.
Oh, I know, just like this thread ;)
I could get creatively nasty if you desire some spice added :)
An example being send you a shavette,100 Dorco blades and a few pucks of Col Conk.

Buy you will also feel dirty for having bought (or traded for) them.
Could you live with that @borked ?

Buy you will also feel dirty for having bought (or traded for) them.
Could you live with that @borked ?
That is true, yet with the help of my friends here, mate, I'm sure we could collectively cobble together the punishment kit for @Pjotr .
I've the Col Conk and will feel better with it gone!
Anyone got bad blades or an errant shavette ? ;)

That is true, yet with the help of my friends here, mate, I'm sure we could collectively cobble together the punishment kit for @Pjotr .
I've the Col Conk and will feel better with it gone!
No, but I am sending @Pjotr back his SPUD next week - does that count?

Ah but he's one of these twisted individuals who actually welcomes using bad blades, hence his quest to find the worst blade in existance.

I think he might be beyond such punitive measures. That said a puck of Conk and a very low end Moldovian pure badger brush combined with an R41 with a well used Shogun blade in it might be able to bring him around!

Ah but he's one of these twisted individuals who actually welcomes using bad blades, hence his quest to find the worst blade in existance.

I think he might be beyond such punitive measures. That said a puck of Conk and a very low end Moldovian pure badger brush combined with an R41 with a well used Shogun blade in it might be able to bring him around!
YES, Shoguns in a bad shavette, perfect!
I choose the shavette, as there is no safety bar whatsoever, just blade :D

Razors - $60 for the R41 and Fatip $30 for the R89 head..
Brush - $20 Omega straw broom, the got a simmo syth, traded for Berkeley, sold and bought a case… maybe $120 in the end?
Blades - Still shaving on the charity of others! 4 months in and not bought one yet. Amazing, thanks Borked & Filobiblic
Soaps - hmmm a few hundred dollars, but I've sold off nearly everything I've bought at less than cost.

Not feeling too bad actually just now!

Still.. anyone thinking about getting into wet shaving to save money had better not read this thread.

I really don't want to think about how much I've spent on shaving over the past 4 years. I much prefer to think of how much I enjoy shaving now compared to the old days of cartridges and the odd period with a Philishave. Money well spent.

I really don't want to think about how much I've spent on shaving over the past 4 years. I much prefer to think of how much I enjoy shaving now compared to the old days of cartridges and the odd period with a Philishave. Money well spent.

Now, now Nightie. If all that gear is still lurking around in your cupboards you have to add it up and let us know. If it's money well spent you shouldn't have to be timid about the total amount.

Now, now Nightie. If all that gear is still lurking around in your cupboards you have to add it up and let us know. If it's money well spent you shouldn't have to be timid about the total amount.
No way. It is money well spent because I've enjoyed trying all of it but I really do dread thinking about how much it's cost me.