I missed my old style wet shaving (Pears soap)

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
G’day P&C

I missed my old style wet shaving is the cheapest Pears bar soap, that’s right, I’ve been using Pears as a shaving soap, brush and cartridge razor back in my wet shaving teenage.

Has everyone ever used Pears as a shaving soap, back in your old wet shaving style when using the cartridge razor? I know by heart and soul, @Mark1966 has used Pears back in his old days.

So, I’m bringing back my old days of wet shaving soap using Pears, one bar of soap cut into pieces and melt into my old spice mug for about 30 seconds, depending on your microwave.

CAF02792-6-A45-4130-9-EB8-4100143-C93-DA.jpg

Can’t say I’ve shaved with Pears before, but recently saw Kevy Shaves use it as pre-shave.

Looks similar to the Colonel Conk glycerin shaving soaps. If it performs to that standard, you’d be laughing.

Yeah recently saw KevyShaves bring it out but can't say I've ever used it myself but it can't be any worse than the other pre-shave glycerin soaps that are out there from RazoRock or PAA and they lather up well...? :unsure:

I shaved with Pears soap for over 20 years from my late teens. It works fine with any razor, just don't expect cushion, for there is none. Teaches good technique. Plenty of slickness, though. I've been using it as my pre-shave for the last few months.
I have no issue with Pears, see link FYI

In my younger days, my grandparents always used Pears Coal Tar Soap and I loved the smell. Nowadays it's doubtful they would be permitted to use Coal Tar, am I correct?

I had to Google for it but here goes:
Due to its powerful antiseptic abilities, coal tar soap assisted in the treatment of skin conditions. It reduced scaling, itching and inflammation. It had few side effects, although exactly how it worked wasn't clear. Today, genuine coal tar soap is difficult to obtain without a prescription.
It was claimed that coal tar soap had a strong, unpleasant odour but I never found it unpleasant!

Last edited:
You can still get coal tar shampoo in the anti-dandruff section of supermarkets and chemists

I had to Google for it but here goes:
Due to its powerful antiseptic abilities, coal tar soap assisted in the treatment of skin conditions. It reduced scaling, itching and inflammation. It had few side effects, although exactly how it worked wasn't clear. Today, genuine coal tar soap is difficult to obtain without a prescription.
It was claimed that coal tar soap had a strong, unpleasant odour but I never found it unpleasant!
It's great for psoriasis and other skin conditions, but you smell like you have been smoking.

I never heard of Pears coal tar soap, but Wright's used to be very common in the UK when I was last living there (mid 80s). I used to know a Scottish guy who used it for everything, shaving, shower, laundry, dishes... I thought that was going a bit far, but different strokes etc. It does indeed have a powerful odour (I wouldn't call it a scent), but not entirely unpleasant if you're comfortable with the scent of burning crude oil. :censored: