I ordered my first scuttle

Maxime D.

I've been thinking about purchasing a shaving scuttle for some time now, I've looked at the Dirty Bird, Robert Becker, Georgetown, Sara Bonnyman, Steve Woodhead and other potters all over the internet. After a few days or research, I've finally placed an order to a small shop based in Seattle (USA). The artist was very friendly, asked if I had particular requests and proposed 8 different glaze colors, I finally chose the color below and opted for a swirl design. It should take between 4-6 weeks to complete my order, I seek forward to see what it will look like :)

(black with green shadow)
gFyGW1y.png

So WHO did you end up going with and WHY did you choose their scuttle over others?

Sounds great! There are so many different choices and designs out there. I'd love to hear your thoughts on your choice. [emoji106]

Heidi Kunkel from Heidi's pottery.

What caught my eyes was the glaze palette, I also wanted to use the services of a potter who was less known on the shaving forums.
Looking at the photo on her website, that's a lovely looking scuttle.

So at 3.5 inch dia and 2 inch depth for the inner bowl, that's good enough for lathering as well as keeping the brush warm. Right?
Some are only large enough to keep the brush/lather warm, but others are large enough to bowl lather inside.

Or it doesn't matter the size, only your technique? I'm not a bowl latherer usually so you'll have to help me out on this one. [emoji4]

And you avoided a trade involving Swedes. Blades that is....not blond virgins.

I lose a scuttle, I can buy other scuttles. Swedes ? I might never be able to buy a pack again.

xcYDrXL.png

Looking at the photo on her website, that's a lovely looking scuttle.

So at 3.5 inch dia and 2 inch depth for the inner bowl, that's good enough for lathering as well as keeping the brush warm. Right?
Some are only large enough to keep the brush/lather warm, but others are large enough to bowl lather inside.

Or it doesn't matter the size, only your technique? I'm not a bowl latherer usually so you'll have to help me out on this one. [emoji4]

3.5 x 2 inch seems to be standard, I've seen a lot of scuttles with those specs. As a comparison, this particular scuttle could be put somewhere between the Dirty Bird Original and the 1.5 in term of size.

Last edited:
I received a message from the potter this evening with pictures of 2 scuttles. Now I have to choose the one I prefer, I'm facing a dilema O.O

t8QBw79.jpg

7IORWAb.jpg

XaTzrDL.jpg

l2iJejg.jpg

Right looks like it has a deeper bowl section for building a lather.

Right looks like it has a deeper bowl section for building a lather.

I think it's an optical illusion because there is more swirl in the right one.
Both are nice, thought it has a narrower section for building lather I prefer the right one.
I don't know what to do : /

Oh the ol' potter's test hey, bank on a 50% chance that the customer goes for the dud...clearly that's the one on the left :D
Different strokes for different folks, mate but I'd go right - I'm definitely a fan of the wider bowl.

Oh the ol' potter's test hey, bank on a 50% chance that the customer goes for the dud...clearly that's the one on the left :D
Different strokes for different folks, mate but I'd go right - I'm definitely a fan of the wider bowl.

I'm fan of the wider bowl too : ) The bigger one seems oddly big for the size of the lathering section and yet ain't looking bad.

They will be glazed on Monday and fired a second time on Tuesday, I'll send my 'Decision' by the end of the day.

Waiting for more of you comments, laddies.

Bigger (wider) space for lathering means less hot water is needed to fill your scuttle. [emoji6]

It depends if you like building your lather in a bowl as opposed to on the face and keeping the brush lather warm. Or perhaps if you prefer a mug or a bowl for lathering....

Bigger (wider) space for lathering means less hot water is needed to fill your scuttle. [emoji6]

It depends if you like building your lather in a bowl as opposed to on the face and keeping the brush lather warm. Or perhaps if you prefer a mug or a bowl for lathering....

The only time I build lather on my face is when I use a shaving stick, which happen once in a while, I'm more of a cream user.

Wow! [emoji50]
That's worth breaking a sabbatical for...