Ikon X3 Slant - First Impressions

DrBob

Just my first impressions.

I received this yesterday. I got it with an OS handle (90mm). Having been disappointed with the Fine slant I had some trepidation about it.

I used a new Personna Blue, my 2nd favourite, and I have to say that it was one of the most pleasant shaves I've had. It wasn't the closest shave, but it was very comfortable.

I will be interested to see how I feel about it after a couple of weeks.

I am really enjoying the X3 but I would have to say that I like the Fine Superlite a little better. Personally I find that the light weight intuitively makes me use absolutely no pressure and I get a great result. I also find the angle on the Superlite a little more intuitive than the X3. The interesting thing I have found with the X3 personally is that the razor seems to be working at it;s most optimum angle when you absolutely cannot feel the blade at all. This makes it a little harder to get used to IMO.

Hope you continue to enjoy the iKon @DrBob :)

I find that I can have a steeper attack angle with the X3 and that gave me the absolute best results. Two pass with touch up, nothing more I could ask for.

Even with the steep angle, where I gain better blade feel, I still won't burn or nick myself. Just when going ATG, I have to tone down the angle a little, otherwise nicks will be imminent.

Overall, it has become one of my solid favourites that I will keep in my rotation. The price that it is asking for is very fair.

However, I do feel that the build quality and finishing could be better. But I am saying this because my daily driver is an ATT.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 2 shaves I am impressed with what it manages to do to my hardest spot - an area about 40mm long under my right jaw that I can never seem to get right. It has shaved it the closest of any razor/blade I have used, and I didn't do anything differently routine or technique wise; well, not deliberately or consciously. Very nearly BBS there.

Good everywhere else, but still not as close as I can get from my AS-D2 or occasionally my Standard.