JohnyGoodSir TMBR Shaving soap - Aussie Artisan

If we have somebody go OS we need to get them to bring some back (make that, LOTS of back).
I'd suggest trying the Captains Choice Bay Rum before locking yourself into Ogallala. Not that there's anything wrong with Ogallala just that the Captains Choice is pretty darn good. I'd love to hand out more samples but my supply is dwindling. If you like a little heat I'd highly recommend their Cat O'Nine Tails.

I'd suggest trying the Captains Choice Bay Rum before locking yourself into Ogallala. Not that there's anything wrong with Ogallala just that the Captains Choice is pretty darn good. I'd love to hand out more samples but my supply is dwindling. If you like a little heat I'd highly recommend their Cat O'Nine Tails.

I gotta have it. Cat of Nine Tails; we've got a date.

Funnily enough, I found Ogallala superior to Captains Choice in the PCTB II.
Not saying Captains Choice is bad, as I did purchase the Limes from them (which has a nice zesty skin aroma to it)

What can I say … … … WOW!!! What a scent. Thanks to @stillshunter I received this soap today and WOW!!! Lathered up easy as from the JGS jar it came in using a Simpson Berkeley. Wasn't as slick as I had hoped but I'll work on this over the coming days. I was that blown away with the scent I had the most horrendous shave with the straight this evening since my original week of using my straight. Too steep an angle left my face a bit raw, but what a scent!!! I was telling Stills this evening that I have not had a drink for 18 years but I used to be a bourban whiskey drinker so this soap smelled great. It also had an earthy smell similar to rotting vegetation/bark. Sounds strange but I love that bush smell.

Post shave I finished with Ogallala cologne and I came out of the bathroom ten foot tall and bulletproof. The scent is worth the price of admission alone - just don't get distracted by the scent and keep your mind on what the razor is doing.

Once again Stills; thanks. If I can figure the glide out, this soap goes to No. 1. Actually, with that scent it is No. 1.

For my morning DE this morning I finished the soap I had been using but for tonights straight I used the JGS/Ogallala combo again. That JGS soap scent is superb. Once again I was underwhelmed by the glide/slickness of this soap. Lathered easily and an ample amount was loaded into the badger brush, just didn't have that slickness that I had hoped. BUT WHAT A SCENT. Better news tonight with my shave ... ... ... I actually paid attention to the blade angle tonight instead of the soap scent and my face was thankful. Lesson learned - when using a straight as a razor and not a rasp, it gives a more comfortable shave.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I've realised no one has posted a complete listing of the ingredients. I know @borked tried to get the exact recipe direct from the source, but has been unable to get through.

This is the listing on the soap that came as a refill puck. I take it to be a complete listing as it gives 18 separate ingredients including the acids. The only details missing is the quantity and the order of each ingredient. I think a soap maker ought to be able to determine this and so I've listed these in the order they are provided around the label. I'm not sure which is first, but after determining that, I would assume they are provided in decreasing amounts.

Johnny GoodSir's TMBR shaving soap ingredients as listed:
Around the inside of label in order but not sure where it starts:
Whiskey, spiced rum, tallow, lanolin, cedar wood, bentonite clay, clove, cardamom,

Around the outside of label in order but not sure where it starts:
Shea butter, sodium lactate, castor oil, coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, glycerin, palm kernel oil, rice bran oil, Palm oil, stearic acid.

I'd take it the inside ingredients are the minor ones.

o0uv3cR.png

Best of luck to any soap maker that gives this a crack! [emoji106]
@Anthony
@Occams
@Barrister & Mann

Last edited by a moderator:
@filobiblic , well fwiw I can assure you that they're definitely not in any order, regardless of where one determines the starting point might be based on my knowledge of soap making it's definitely not in any order by %.

I thought there was some kind of rule that the ingredients had to be listed in order of % on the packaging (nothing on the rear etc?) as that stuff on the lid doesn't look even close to meeting the Australian listing standards.

From all report the soap itself wasn't great - but the scent was well regarded - hence the components that primarily contributed that (Whiskey, Spiced Rum, Cardamom, Cloves, Cedarwood) would be the only things they'd worry about IF they wanted to replicate etc.

I wonder if part of the reason JGS closed was the regulations etc as based on the above I don't think they were meeting them correctly (unless there was additional markings on the rear of their package).

I wonder if part of the reason JGS closed was the regulations etc as based on the above I don't think they were meeting them correctly (unless there was additional markings on the rear of their package).
Well hello! Nice to have you back NtK and commenting. (How's your own soap going?)

The hard case of soap as in the original picture at the start of this thread may have the full listing as required by Law. I don't have that.

Yep. The main reason to list the above ingredients was the full scent profile. I think the huge addition of extra oils was probably a tad unnecessary. As it's constantly asserted: soap's scent was spectacular, but lacked in performance.

As for why the business closed- no idea. I'd be only guessing.

Well hello! Nice to have you back NtK and commenting. (How's your own soap going?)

The hard case of soap as in the original picture at the start of this thread may have the full listing as required by Law. I don't have that.

Yep. The main reason to list the above ingredients was the full scent profile. I think the huge addition of extra oils was probably a tad unnecessary. As it's constantly asserted: soap's scent was spectacular, but lacked in performance.

As for why the business closed- no idea. I'd be only guessing.

All fine here, sometimes there's just not that much to say. The soap? Well I only tried it for the first time a few days ago (amazingly allowed the full 6 week cure) - performs pretty well, nothing world shattering but I did notice that the usual dermatitis/skin irritation I often get after using commercial soap on my face didn't come after using this. Which is a positive start. :)

Yes, I'd say full ingredients list must be on rear etc - and that'd be in rough proportional order he'd have gotten in hot water without that so am sure it's there.

Unsure what you mean by extra oils unnecessary - suffice to say the feedback sounds like his base formulation wasn't perhaps as refined as it could have been - that said shaving soaps are tricky to refine but is hard to say any of the oils in the mix were superfluous, perhaps just less/more of a number needed. That all said a lot of soapers are using very simple base formulation thats largely stearic acid and coconut oil - ala MdC.

Without seeing the full ingredients list ad going on a tad much I can kinda imagine why the soap might have been a tad average as there's some contradictory/curious ingredients in there, which by themselves would be nothing strange but that they're in with each other is a tad odd. Does seem like a bit too much going on and that detracted from the end result.

Kind of a tad odd as he seemed to have put a lot of work into the website/branding etc so to not have done a lot of work on the base formulation to get it amazing is kinda backwards IMHO.

Pretty sure the soap was designed to be not as good in the lather department as it was designed for straight shavers, and that it was meant to rinse easily.

Pretty sure the soap was designed to be not as good in the lather department as it was designed for straight shavers, and that it was meant to rinse easily.
Yep. This is it I believe. However in my limited experience as a str8 shaver, you would want a soap to take on lots of water for plenty of glide. It does rinse off easily.

He also liked to have plenty of oils for skin nourishment as per the TMBR aftershave and face tonic.

The sink always washes down/cleans easy after using this soap. The scent IMO more than makes up for the lack of performance in the glide/slide department. If Anthony can get this scent, I'm a customer for life. I use my JGS sparingly, saving what I have.
I'm with Dale here. if @Anthony can nail this scent, and gets Dale's unequivocal thumbs up, then I'd be up for a lifetime supply....as I know the lather qualities will all be there!

Good times for the next few days. I have been busy this morning making up a sample soap bag for @CRC32 and the last sample I made up was Johnny Good Sir TMBR. This morning I finished the 4-5 days of soap I place in my wooden soap bowl (I have been using Shaver Heaven Desperado) and I have been pondering which to use next. The scent of whiskey, Johnny Good Sir style keeps wafting around as my fingers still have the scent from touching this soap. This is definitely my favourite scent and I now know which soap I will be using for the next 4-5 days. So disappointing that I had only started wet shaving as this artisan stops production.

This is definitely my favourite scent and I now know which soap I will be using for the next 4-5 days. So disappointing that I had only started wet shaving as this artisan stops production.
Well at least you got some! It's become part of Aussie wet shaving folklore and not everyone has tried some.

Good times for the next few days. I have been busy this morning making up a sample soap bag for @CRC32 and the last sample I made up was Johnny Good Sir TMBR. This morning I finished the 4-5 days of soap I place in my wooden soap bowl (I have been using Shaver Heaven Desperado) and I have been pondering which to use next. The scent of whiskey, Johnny Good Sir style keeps wafting around as my fingers still have the scent from touching this soap. This is definitely my favourite scent and I now know which soap I will be using for the next 4-5 days. So disappointing that I had only started wet shaving as this artisan stops production.
Agreed greatest scent so far. Would have liked to try it with a straight shave. ..as I believe that was what JGS intended. Lucky man. Use sparingly. ...or pull off a @Mark1966 and list it on thr BST for $1500.