July 2022 SHAVING Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did read that about the G5 and was going to get one and set high due to the short knot but no idea on the lansky

@TroyTools what's your opinion? BTW one is on route to you 😁
I would start by judging the backbone strength of the bare knot without any knot socket sidewall support from a handle. A bit of rough testing can be done with various depth blank handle sockets, but It's pretty much a judgment call after that. There's not many scientific ways to accurately determine "correct" loft because the very subjective personal interpretation of a high performing brush can vary so much across users and their specific / preferred lathering techniques on any given day. There are a lot of variables.
I'll get it right for you though! (y);):cool:

I would start by judging the backbone strength of the bare knot without any knot socket sidewall support from a handle.
You can depend on Troy to get it right. (y) But if you have the knot in your hand, you can get a feel for it by drilling a hole with a spade bit (or a Forstner bit if you have one) in the end of a fat piece of dowel, and setting the knot temporarily with a smudge of silicone.

I would start by judging the backbone strength of the bare knot without any knot socket sidewall support from a handle. A bit of rough testing can be done with various depth blank handle sockets, but It's pretty much a judgment call after that. There's not many scientific ways to accurately determine "correct" loft because the very subjective personal interpretation of a high performing brush can vary so much across users and their specific / preferred lathering techniques on any given day. There are a lot of variables.
I'll get it right for you though! (y);):cool:

thanks for the info and I will leave that in your capable hands mate :cool:

52197165573_3210805331_b.jpg

Thanks @CraigE (y)
Now you need the matching Huon Pine soap by BDSC! :) https://www.bluedevilshaveco.com/product-page/huon-pine-shave-soap-110g

Hoping that Japanese fibre makes the difference. What approximate depth do you recommend @Gargravarr? Have tried a few you mentioned @StratMan (tuxedo, plissoft, G5) and moved them on.
From experience the Oumo G5 work best when set 53-55mm loft but that can be difficult as the fibers tend to be shorter when compared to older gen knots (Tuxedo, Plissoft, Faux Horse, etc).

I had a FS G4 knot in 24mm that was horrible until I managed to find a better handle and it works great and on par with my Simpson Trafalgar and Omega Eva brushes.

I'm keen to try a G5C as much prefer fan styles and would love to compare it to the others to see how it stacks up. Then again I have a spare Yaqi G4 knot which looks promising as super dense yet much longer fibers than the G5 for same sized knot. Its basically a knock off Trafalgar Sovereign Fiber knot in looks and feel.

If only shipping didn't take ages to arrive from Canada as the price is decent for what should be an upgrade over the Oumo/Lansky G5 versions...?

From experience the Oumo G5 work best when set 53-55mm loft but that can be difficult as the fibers tend to be shorter when compared to older gen knots (Tuxedo, Plissoft, Faux Horse, etc).

I had a FS G4 knot in 24mm that was horrible until I managed to find a better handle and it works great and on par with my Simpson Trafalgar and Omega Eva brushes.

I'm keen to try a G5C as much prefer fan styles and would love to compare it to the others to see how it stacks up. Then again I have a spare Yaqi G4 knot which looks promising as super dense yet much longer fibers than the G5 for same sized knot. Its basically a knock off Trafalgar Sovereign Fiber knot in looks and feel.

If only shipping didn't take ages to arrive from Canada as the price is decent for what should be an upgrade over the Oumo/Lansky G5 versions...?
I've read that many G4 knots have an intrusive glue bump. I wonder if that mainly affects people who mash their brushes. I tend to scrub lightly when loading and when I'm lathering up my head (which is another reason why I like my knots set high, so they splay properly). I like the way the AP G5 knots have wavy fibres (like natural badgers) so they hold lots and lots of lather. They also give it up readily with painting strokes (no hogging), so they should work for everybody. They definitely don't suffer from that glue bump issue.

Agreed, shipping from Canada is a bummer, but I've found it's worth the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.